1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The University of South Africa - HELP!!

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are PhD degrees from The University of South Africa accepted in the United States?

I ask because I wish to pursue a PhD in history. However I don't want to leave my current teaching job to pursue a PhD at George Mason University (etc). Therefore I have been looking for an online PhD with no real luck. I have looked at Unisa before, but I don't know anything about South African degrees and the American view of such degrees. For that reason I have not given Unisa any serious thought until tonight.

I am looking at their PhD in History program. They are a distance learning school and I would have to do a large thesis which would be examined by experts in the field of study.

My plans are to stay at the community college level and not move up to the university level. The main reason is that I enjoy teaching more than the other "stuff" that comes with being a college instructor. Teaching at the community college level allows me to do more teaching and less of the other stuff. So this degree would be a "personal" thing, but I do want a degree that would be acknowledged by United States educational institutions.

I am asking here because none of my "sources" know anything about over seas schools.

Does anyone here have a PhD from Unisa?

#1 Martin, Mar 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2008
  2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Yep, there transferable. I am taking classes at South African Theological Seminary, and before I began I spoke to other schools/professors here in the U.S. I found no accredited school here in the United States that did not accept transfers from UNISA (SATS Degrees are issued through UNISA). Couple of things to keep in mind though.

First, the Schools in South Africa use a different credit system than in the U.S> it is the "British style" credit system. For Example it requires 240 credits rather than 60 for an associate degree. With you doing thesis work, I know you won't really be to focused on that though: I only say that because SOME unknowing individuals, who don't know what they are talking about, like to go off on a rant about how easy SA credits are. 4 SA (or British) credits equal one U.S. credit.

Second, most of the people are nice, but SOME of them have a really snooty British demeanor.

Third: They are extremely demanding. I know in the case of seminaries (I really do not want to make people mad here) that SA theological Seminary is harder than 90 percent of the seminaries here in the U.S. I have both taken classes here in the U.S as well as looking at sample coursework from various other schools, and in most cases there is no comparison. In my life, I have only failed one assignment from the time I was in Kindergarten. It was at SATS. Used to I would wonder if I would get a perfect score. Now I am praying I pass.

The upside? It's cheaper.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Good thing to hear. :thumbs: Along that line, has anyone on this board actually graduated from Unisa? What has been the response to your degree from schools or employers?

==I guess we are going to run into rude people from time to time in every school. I know I have so far.

==That is what I want to hear! An easy degree is not worth having.

4. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

SATS degrees are issued through UNISA? Didn't know that!!

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I am extremely embarrassed. I thought I had read on the old site about a tie between UNISA and SATS. Apparently I was Incorrect.

However, the fact remains there degrees are accredited, and more than comparable to domestic universities and Seminaries. They are certainly a respected institution.

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Hah! Found it...It says "recognized by".

Oops...

7. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

thanks. At one time SATS was accredited by Unizul -my alma mater. But now , SATS has its own accreditation by SAQA. I agree that SATS is a good option.

I have been among those who supervise post graduates at SATS for about four months. Among my several students is one with a PhD in chemistry who has taught it for 15 years.

But I know little about the SATS undergrad program. I am learning more as I am now creating an upper division course for SATS in Romans. The course requirements , which have been approved by the SATS VP, IMO are equal in substance and rigor to grad courses in Bible I've had at Point Loma Uni and Western Seminary as well as secular courses in grad studies at two US universities.

The requirements for Romans include a three hour , closed book, subjective exam and a 20-25 page research paper.

#7 UZThD, Mar 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2008