1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Work of the Holy Spirit

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Tom Butler, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It is the ESSENCE of adding to the Word of God!

There's what God says in his word PLUS what God says in your "hearts.

Plus.

That's adding.

You are adding to the Word of God.

2. awaken

awaken Active Member

Prophecy does not add to or take away from the written word of God!

Are you saying that the Holy Spirit does not speak to your spirit? Really?

He does not convict you of sin? He does not influence you to act in kindness to someone? He does not influence you to share a word of encouragement to someone? He does not lead you into all righteousness? You really do not hear from God in your spirit?

That is sad!:tear:

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

How does the Holy Spirit SPEAK to your spirit?

Through the Word of God, Providence and conscience. Not by saying new words to me!

He does not INFLUENCE me to do so. He gives me the desires to do so. That is not him SPEAKING TO MY SPIRIT.

There is no such language in the whole BIBLE concerning this "speak to your spirit" business. It is a new doctrine Pentecostal type folks like yourself made up and added to the Bible.

4. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I disagree Luke. The Spirit speaks to me with very clear words at times in my life...

You've never thought (internally heard) something like, "Luke, you need to speak to that person." or "You should stop and help him." ???

If that is not the Spirit, who is it? YOU? Are you the origin of 'good' motivations or is the Spirit who resides in you?

5. Skandelon

Just Curious... When Jesus said, "I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come."

Do you just believe that applied to his apostles or to all those with His Spirit?

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It can ONLY be 2 ways to see that!

Context and grammer would see it as being a reference to JUST His Apostles, towards inspiration of the NT texts they would be penning down... BClosed canon approach...

cgarasmatics take it to be to all, so onging prophey/revealtion, ongoing revealtion from God!

They get that to prove ,modern Apostles/prophets and revealtions, NOT from text itself!

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It was two things:

1. It was the fact that he would be with them 40 days after his resurrection "speaking to them of the things pertaining to the Kingdom of God."

2. It was the Apostles. They DID receive new revelation from Jesus through the Holy Spirit. They wrote it down and we call it the New Testament.

So, what do YOU think that means.

That God is still giving revelation today? Is that what YOU think that verse means?

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

There is no biblical precedent for it.

If it is happening, it is a new doctrine not taught in Scripture.

When God spoke in the "still small voice" to Elijah, for example, it was not some sensation in his heart. It was a literal still small voice.

There is no precedent for this "God spoke to me in my heart" business.

I think what you may THINK is the Holy Spirit is just your mind.

Very often. It is what SHOULD happen regularly in the regenerated mind and heart of a Christian. That does not mean that it should be attributed to the words of the Third Person of the Godhead.

It is redeemed thought.

9. Skandelon

Ironic that a hard determinist would hold to that view. :confused:

So, when you think a good thought you don't give God credit for being the origin of that good thought, but you still think He determines all things that come to pass??? Sorry, but that seems strange to me, Luke.

Thoughts don't come in the form of words to you? Are they pictures? Still not following...

10. awaken

awaken Active Member

The Bible tells us that we need to be led by the Holy Spirit ( Romans 8:12-14 and Galatians 5:16-25). Therefore, it must be possible for every one of us to discern the promptings and guidance of the Holy Spirit within us!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.