1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Work of the Holy Spirit

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Tom Butler, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

So the baptism by the HS would be at conversion, when the personis spiritual connected with/into the Body of Chrsit? One time event?

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Baptized in the Holy Spirit - I could not find a translation containing the phrase, but Baptized with the Holy Spirit is found in many verses. The Greek word translated "with" is "en" and is usually translated "in." Contextually the stuff a person is immersed in, water by John the Baptist, the Holy Spirit by Jesus is in view. Thus to be baptized into the Holy Spirit seems to be the meaning.

So right away we are faced with a difficulty. The Holy Spirit baptizes us into Christ, and Christ baptizes us into the Holy Spirit. Are these two separate spiritual actions? We know that we are placed spiritually "in" Christ,i.e. in some way inside the shelter of Christ, and then we are "sealed" in Christ with the Holy Spirit so we are in Christ and Christ is in us.

2) Baptized by the Holy Spirit (Does the Holy Spirit really baptize anyone?

1 Corinthians 12:13 says, “For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.” Paul teaches the unity in Christ; we were baptized into one body and one Spirit indwelt us all. This verse describes the process of salvation, God accepts our heart-felt faith and sets us apart (chooses us) with the baptism by the Holy Spirit into Christ (the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit, 1 Peter 1:1-2), and then Christ baptizes us with the Holy Spirit representing both the Father (Spirit of God) and the Son (Spirit of Christ).

2 Corinthians 1:21-22 says, “Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and anointed us is God, who also sealed us and gave the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge.” Here we see the two-step process: He, who gave us the gospel, establishes and anoints us in Christ, then also indwells us as a seal and pledge.

#22 Van, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013
  3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Jesus did liken the chrsitian to having a spring of everlasting water in him dwelling, so maybe that is a symol of us being immershed in the HS?

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be precise:

(1) The baptism of the Holy Spirit with power (Mark 1:8, Acts 1:5) is a repeatable event, because it happens again in Acts 4:31.

(2) The baptism by the Holy Spirit of believers into the body of Christ is a separate event (1 Cor. 12:13). It is a non-repeatable event which happens to each believer at salvation.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Corinthians 1:21-22 says, “Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and anointed us is God, who also sealed us and gave the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge.” Here we see the two-step process: He, who gave us the gospel, establishes and anoints us in Christ, then also indwells us as a seal and pledge.

To be established in Christ refers to God putting us spiritually in Christ.
    Then we were "anointed" which may refer to be immersed in the Spirit of Christ (and according to Yeshua1) might refer to the fount of living water in Christ.

And then we were sealed in Christ with the indwelling forever of the Holy Spirit, which is the Spirit of God and the Spirit of Christ. Thus we are in Christ and Christ is in us, saved forever.

#25 Van, May 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2013
  6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praying in the Spirit

This has at least two aspects:

1) Praying in accordance with the will of God

2) Praying (addressing our thoughts to God) fervently and without hypocrisy, i.e. being as Christ-like as we can.

Ephesians 6:18 and Jude 20-21 present these ideas in my opinion.

But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would the power be same as being refilled with the HS? to walk according to Him, and not in our own flesh to get things thing for God?

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A careful examination of all Scripture about the power/filling/baptism of the Spirit shows that it is always for serving God, especially for boldness and power in evangelism.

Walking in the Spirit is not power but a process--leaning on God, paying attention to the urgings and leadings of the Spirit who helps us grow in grace and avoid sin.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ephesians 6:18 "With every prayer and petition, pray at all times in the Spirit, and to this end be alert, with all perseverance and requests for all the saints."

Thus "praying in the Spirit" is an action of believers in order to stay in the center of God's love. Note the emphasis on our compassion for our brothers and sisters.

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Can we pause in the discussion for a moment? What does it mean to "pray in the Spirit?" What's a good definition? What kind of mindset accompanies it? I want to be sure we are on the same page here.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that praying in the Spirit is praying in accordance with His will, His Word and His leading. In support of that, Eph. 6:18 could be translated "by the Spirit" or "according to the Spirit" since it is the preposition en with the dative/instrumental case.

12. awaken

awaken Active Member

1 Corinthians 14 describes praying in the spirit( vs. 12-17.) Paul says when you pray in tongues your spirit prays! So that is praying in the spirit according to Paul. vs. 14

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are confusing the human spirit, "my spirit" as Paul says, with the Spirit of God, "the Spirit" in Eph. 6:18. This is very clear because v. 17 talks about the "sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God," and the Bible cannot be the sword of the human spirit. So the Spirit of Eph. 6:18 is the Holy Spirit of v. 17.

14. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congrats, proud father of a future PhD. Saw that your son successfully defended his dissertation.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, brother! He said Dr. Black was really pleased. Funny thing, my buttons keep popping off.

I'm going to get to fly back for the graduation, but unfortunately the wife can't.

For those who are interested, here is the announcement on Dr. Black's blog:
    http://www.daveblackonline.com/blog.htm (You have to scroll down some.)

#35 John of Japan, May 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
  16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To pray in the spirit, is to mirror or reflect the Spirit of Christ.

In contrast, the public prayer in tongues (1 Corinthians 14: is unedifying and does not engage our mind. This is the antithesis of praying in the Spirit.

(NET) 1 Corinthians 14:13 So then, one who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret. 14:14 If I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unproductive. 14:15 What should I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind. I will sing praises with my spirit, but I will also sing praises with my mind. 14:16 Otherwise, if you are praising God with your spirit, how can someone without the gift say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying? 14:17 For you are certainly giving thanks well, but the other person is not strengthened.

#36 Van, May 2, 2013
  17. awaken

awaken Active Member

It is by my spirit I pray from when I pray in tongues. It is the Holy Spirit that gives the utterance (what to pray). Paul says that when we pray in tongues we pray with our spirit. So it is the Holy Spirit within me giving my spirit the utterance Acts 2:4.

18. awaken

awaken Active Member

This is what happen the Day of Pentecost. Some believe it happens at salvation others think it happens after you are a believer.
    Jesus is the baptizer. He is the one that sent the Holy Spirit.
    Filled with the Spirit is being controled. This can happen more than once! Just as they continued to fill the menorah in the OT with oil. We need to be filled daily with the Holy Spirit.
    This happens the moment we accept Jesus as our Savior!
    This is obedience to the Holy Spirit.
    I would think that this would fall in the same as being led by the Spirit.
    Paul calls praying with the spirit, tongues in 1 Cor. 14. We can pray in both tongues and our understanding.

I believe this is when they received the indwelling Holy Spirit.

The fruit is what we look for in the indwellilng Holy Spirit.
    The baptism in the HOly Spirit always came with an ourward manifestation. There are nine mentioned in 1 Cor. 12.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, spot on!!

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we look generally at scripture, God is revealed in three persons, first the Father, then the Son, then the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit sort of comes off as the next coming of Christ, first in the flesh, now in the Spirit of Christ indwelling believers. Thus we are in Christ and in the Spirit of Christ. Therefore the work of the Spirit is primarily reproductive, manifesting Christ, through believers becoming Christ-like. We cannot capture the whole picture by looking at the relationship between ourselves and the Spirit of Christ, we must also consider the larger "body of Christ" the bride of Christ, the church as also demonstrating the work of the Spirit of Christ.

#40 Van, May 2, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.