1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Theodicy

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I am not speaking about choice.

I am speaking about the origin and nature of evil.

Evil is not dependent fully upon choice.

Pride is not necessarily the result of choice, for example.

Pride is the result of ignorance (privation of understanding), and delusion (privation of truth), irreverence (privation of the fear of God), etc, etc, etc...

Pride can CAUSE a choice but pride is not necessarily the result of choice.

Such was the case with Lucifer when pride was found in him.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps "choice" was poor wording on my part. It would be better read as "without good, the only thing left is evil."

In other words: I was agreeing with you.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Basically, yes.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To bring this back to the opening post:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skandelon [​IMG]
    You still haven't answered the question about how something (Satan's evil intent) came from nothing (the absence of good). When you do that, I'll proceed...

Skandelon has to agree on the definition of evil (the absence of good). If he does, then his question is automatically answered about where Satan's evil intent came from.

Luke has answered Skandelon by stating that evil is the absence of good; and without good, Satan can only do evil, and have an evil intent.

If Luke and Skandelon disagree on the definition of evil, that's where this discussion should focus. The discussions and quibbling about defining the analogies have taken away from the main point.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's irrelevant.

6. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Oh, it is? Ok. :laugh:

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Glad you finally get it.

8. Skandelon

Yes, I get that you think something was created by nothing. And I get that you dismiss that contradiction it as being irrelevant to this discussion.

That is funny to me.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

What is funny to me is your claim that there is contradiction and your total inability to substantiate that claim.

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before this degenerates much further -- Skan, please reconsider. He's not saying that Satan's intent came from nothing; he's saying it came from an absence of being able to be any other way.

11. Skandelon

The absence of something can't be the cause of something. There must be another factor involved otherwise its "nothing causing something."

For example, the absence of heat alone doesn't make ice. A created substance must exist with the characteristics that it will turn to ice when those given circumstances are present (H2O). So too, the intent is not a result of the absence of goodness alone. Satan, a created being, was present and must have been created with a nature that would necessarily "turn evil" in a given circumstance. Would you agree with this? If not, why?

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You've already been proven wrong on this so thoroughly that you have not been able to offer any retort- just unsubstantiated unwarranted claims.

And cold, which is nothing, does cause h2o which is something to become ice.

Once again that is plain enough for a small child to understand. You do not get it, not because you lack the intellect but because you lack the objectivity.

#73 Luke2427, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2011
  13. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This goes back to whether you agree with Luke's definition of evil: the absence of good. If you agree with that definition, then you have to ask: when good is removed, what's left? If only evil is left, then any intentions are a result of that evil nature. Thus, the intent is not caused by nothing, but by what remains.

If you disagree with Luke's definition, then you need to revisit that issue before the conversation can go anywhere else.

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

But Satan was not created without good, the scriptures say he was "perfect" in the day he was created.

Eze 28:15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

So, you cannot argue that Satan's sin was caused by an absence of good.

The same can be said of Adam and Eve, the scriptures say all of God's creation was "very good", yet they both sinned.

So, Luke's view is not scriptural.

#75 Winman, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2011
  15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke's view is eminently Scriptural. The very definition of sin is a missing of the mark, a falling short. Scandal defined sin in another thread as a deficiency.

We are all born sinners not because of what Adam passes to us, but because of what he doesn't. And that thing is life.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure....nothing causes a void & you've heard the adage that "Nature abhors a void" Logic assumes in the absence of Good then Evil will prevail.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The "nothing causes something" crowd here should then view Darwinism as plausible as that is what he based his entire anti-God creation account on.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

19. Skandelon

I stumbled upon the Puritan thread discussing this exact subject, but ironically the Arminians were making the case that evil was merely the absense of good. Here is the reply of one Calvinist:

Here is another...

and...

I thought these might help to see there is more to this matter from both perspectives, but if Luke wants to keep dismissing my statements and claiming victory to make himself feel better, rather than having an honest discussion on the subject, let him at it. I'd rather discuss it with someone like you, Don, who seems to actually want to engage the subject. :)

#80 Skandelon, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.