1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Theology In Translation?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Nov 23, 2010.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Robinson is doing well and is back teaching.

Comfort's information is inaccurate.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JoJ,you said that Comfort's information above is inaccurate. Please specify what is in error in your view, and why.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay.
    Wrong. Most contemporary scholars are eclectic nowadays. They take into due account the Byzantine text type, and even occasionally the Western text type. (I'm not aware that the Ceasarean is used, though.) Comfort is giving the old, tired view of Westcott and Hort, which is passe.
    Not exactly. In the first place, Comfort apparently is not aware of the Byzantine priority view. Secondly, the position that earlier is always better is another old W & H teaching. Byzantine advocates do not agree with the "earlier is always best" canon. Errors crept into the text at a very early time, as can be seen by the many corrections in the margins of Vaticanus and Siniaticus.
    Correction: there is no evidence for any early recension ever, including the so-called Lucian recension in the 4th century by Lucian of Antioch which supposedly produced the Byzantine. “History is completely silent with regard to any revision of the Byazntine text” (The Byzantine Text-Type and new Testament Textual Criticism, by Harry A. Sturz, p. 122). Again, "When Metzger summarizes the evidence for Lucian's textual work, he appears to concede that the connection between it and the Byzantine text is somewhat nebulous. Because of the paucity of historical allusions, information on Lucian's recension is restricted to 'the manuscripts which have been thought to contain it'" (Sturz, 123).
    There is no historical evidence for this statement.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hear, hear! :applause:

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps that's Philip Comfort's personal opinion,rather than a scholarly view.But many have a theological basis for advocating the TR or the Majority text.

John of Japan,for instance, comes down to theological reasons,rather than linguistic reasons.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not true. My primary reasons for supporting the Byzantine are text critical, not theological or linguistic.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't dismiss their views so quickly out of hand.Their is more respect for their work now among scholars than you apparently think.

I didn't say,nor did I quote Comfort as saying that earlier is always better. It usually is better. But other factors such normally a shorter text in comparison with the Majority Text or the TR as well as diverse testimony.
    That certainly isn't news.

From Comfort's New Testament Text and Translation Commentary:

...Lucian of Antioch produced a major recension of the New Testament (see Jerome's introduction to his Latin translation of the Gospels,PL 29:527c).this text is sometimes called "Syrian," because of its association with Antioch in Syria. Lucian's work was a definite recension (i.e.,a purposely created edition),in contrast to the Alexandrian text-type. The Alexandrian scribes did some minimal editing,such as we would call copy editing. By contrast,the Syrian text is the result of a much larger endeavor;it is characterized by smoothness of language,which is achieved by the removal of obscurities and awkward grammatical constructions,and by the conflation of variant readings. (Iintro.xxiii)

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well,perhaps that's your current view. However,in the past:

6/25/07 : Your translation is possible,I'll admit,but as you agree it depends on your theological presuppostions.

7/5/07 : our theological presuppostion...

7/10/07 :I think this passage [2 Tim.2:2 --Rip] will be decided by one's theological presuppositions.Grammatically and according to the lexicons it could go either way.

7/31/08 : I've recently come to where I classify translations in two categories:theologically based and linguistically based.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Comfort was right about Jerome's support for a Lucian recension, why didn't Metzger mention Jerome's statement in his The Text of the New Testament in his discussion of Jerome's text of the Gospels? (2nd ed., p. 76). Comfort is wrong about what Jerome wrote, as anyone can read for themselves: http://people.bu.edu/dklepper/RN305/jerome1.html

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um, these are quotes about my translation views, not my views on textual criticism. Oranges and apples. :rolleyes:

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry. I stand (currently seated) corrected.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Metzger's :Lucian and the Lucianic Recension of the Greek Bible.

"Among the several scholars of the ancient Church who occupied themselves with the textual criticism of the Bible,one of the most influential was Lucian of Antioch. Though not as learned or as productive in a literary way as either Origen or jerome,Lucian's work on the text of the Greek Bible proved to be of significance both in his own day and,to an even greater extent,during the centuries following. In fact, his recension of the text of the New Testament,with only minor modifications,continued to be used widely down to the nineteenth century,and still lives on in the so-called Ecclesiastical text of the Eastern Orthodox Church."

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interview of Daniel B.Wallace on Textual Criticism

Snip ahead;

"My best guess on the origins of the Byzantine text -- a view that is constantly being shaped -- is that it originated in the early fourth century as a consciously edited text,cannibalizing readings from earlier textforms,even to the point of almost obliterating any traces of one of those textforms (the Caesarean). But then it took on a life of its own,developing into a growing text that had several sub-branches.Two major recensions were done on it,one in the ninth and one in the eleventh century. Ironically.the text that Hodges and Farstad produced,and the one that Robinson and Pierpont produced,did not,in every respect,represent the majority until the fifteenth century. Hort's threefold argument against the Byzantine text is still a good argument that demonstrates the Byzantine text to be secondary,late,and inferior. Although there are a few leaks in the Hortian boat,it's not enough to sink the ship."

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Metzger and Wallace, as scholarly as they are, are both speculating with no evidence other than internal--and precious little of that. Once again, there is no historical evidence of a Lucian recension. It's kind of like the mythical "Q" tradition--everybody would like to find evidence, but no one has. Wallace: ""My best guess...."

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't you source this better? Is this in a book? Journal?

Aha. I found it. You're not even quoting from the article itself, only from the blurb about the article at: http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=3388976

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We could trade scholarly quotes all day and still not have any evidence of a recension by Lucian. "Hort tentatively suggested Lucian (who died in 311) as perhaps the leader in the movement, and some scholars subsequently became dogmatic on the subject. The matter of the Syriac Peshitta version is often treated in connection with the 'Lucianic recension' of the Greek because of a supposed connection between them. Because the Peshitta does witness to the 'Byzantine' text Hort had to get it out of the second and third centuries. Accordingly, he posited a late recension to account for it" (The Identity of the New Testament Text by Wilbur N. Pickering, pp. 37-38).

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maurice Robinson's debunking of the theoretical Lucianic recension:

18. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Brother John,

I am reading Burgon's work and plan on reading Scrivener's intro to gain the other side of the story on textual criticism. Do you have any recommendations for current scholars?

Thanks.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Daniel Wallace and Philip Comfort of course!

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you can get the two books I quoted from by Wilbur Pickering and Harry Sturz you've got a good start. They're out of print, but necessary for their scholarly presentation of the Byzantine priority view.

Sturz is not actually Byzantine priority, but what David Alan Black calls "reasoned conservatism." But Sturz was seminal. Speaking of Black, his New Testament Textual Criticism: A Concise Guide is a good, short presentation of the eclectic method. If I'm not mistaken, he is a "radical eclectic," considering all the text types to be valuable.

Anything by Maurice Robinson is cutting edge for the Byzantine/Majority view. Here is a link to a David Alan Black interview. (They are colleagues at Southeastern.) http://www.daveblackonline.com/interview_with_maurice_robinson1.htm

Here is another interview with Dr. Robinson: http://kjvonlydebate.com/2010/08/09/kjvodb-interviews-dr-maurice-robinson-pt-1/

The main thing to read by Dr. Robinson is his preface to the Byzantine textform Greek NT he edited with William Pierpont. It has been put into the public domain, so if you will PM me I can send you a PDF file of said Greek NT.

Edited in: Or, here is Dr. Robinson's Preface online: http://adultera.awardspace.com/AA/Robinson2001.html

A recent book which has two chapters by Dr. Robinson from the Byzantine priority perspective: Translating the New Testament, ed. by Stanley Porter and Mark Boda. The two chapters are: "Rule 9, Isolated Variants and the 'Test-Tube' Nature of the NA27/UBS4 Text: A Byzantine-Priority Perspective," and, "The Rich Man and Lazarus--Luke 16:19-31: Text-Critical Notes."

#40 John of Japan, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2011