1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

this members post

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by KJVBibleThumper, Sep 7, 2004.

1. KJVBibleThumper

KJVBibleThumper New Member

David J on the old thread you asked for a debate on the issue.
    I want to say that I agree and suggest that we have a public debate here but ask that no one besides us post. What do you think? Anyone elses thoughts?

2. David J

David J New Member

That is fine with me as long as the mods say it's ok.

If approved then I will repost the questions about the NIV vs. KJV.

One rule that I ask and it's very simple. Let's avoid slang and do not disrespect each other. As brothers in the Lord lets show a good example of debating.

Also let's stick to the context of the verses in question and deal with the whole meaning. Now keep in mind that I do agree that the NIV takes too much liberty in certain verses. I would like to basically have a bible study.

1. the verses in question must be answered fairly and to our best ability to represent the scriptures in question truthfully.

2. let's deal with things slowly and not jump around all over the world [​IMG]

3. I will in no way tell you that the KJV is a bad bible. I respect people who use the KJV therefore I ask the same respect in that I use a NASB. For the sake of the debate I will use a NIV.

4. by pointing out errors or bad translational word structure etc... I am not attacking the KJV or NIV. I will be taking the advice of the AV1611 translators who said the following:

“Yet for all that it cannot be dissembled...[that] it hath pleased God in his diuine prouidence, heere and there, to scatter wordes and sentences of that difficultie and doubtfulnesse, not in doctrinal points that concerne saluation (for in such it hath beene vouched that the Scriptures are plaine) but in matters of lesse moment, that fearfulnesse would better beseeme vs than confidence. . .and to resolue upon modestie....There be many words in Scripture, which be neuer found there but once. ..there be many rare names of certaine birds, beastes and precious stones, &c. concerning which the Hebrews themselves are so divided among themselves...so to determine of such things as the Spirit of God hath left (euen in thejudgement of the iudicious) questionable, can be no lesse than presumption. Therefore as S. Augustine saith, that varietie of Translations is profitable for the finding out of the sense of the Scriptures; so diuersitie of signification and sense in the margine, where the text is not so cleare, must needes doe good, yea, is necessary, as we are perswaded....They that are wise, had rather haue their judgements at libertie in differences of readings, then to be captiuated to one, when it may be the other.”

5. If you agree to these terms then we can have a simple debate.

If you agree to this and the board mods agree then I will start the thread with my original questions.

Fair enough?

In Christ
    David

3. David J

David J New Member

KJVBT,

Since others asked you some time consuming questions first go ahead and talk to them. I would like for you to take your time in researching before jumping to this debate. I fully understand the time problems. I have a family and I'm on call from time to time.

PS- I will redo my original post that your are asking about to take the negative feel from it. I don't want a slang mudd fight [​IMG]

Just let me know when you want to talk.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have always had the policy that allows a person starting a thread to put "limits" on who may participate.

Some have asked for only those who are KJVo; others for those who are NOT KJVo.

So if you two want, it is fine with me.

5. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay by me. Just keep it civil.

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

No probs from mod#3 as long as there is civility

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then we are agreed. Gentlemen, Start your Topic.

Label it as "Private Debate" and be sure to state at the beginning that folks can pm you with ideas/info, but cannot post.

If they post, a mod will erase them.

Let's see how it works. [​IMG]

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

If a moderator misses an errant post please report it or PM a moderator.