1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thompson Chain Reference System

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Jamal5000, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

Brothers and Sisters,

For about a year now, I have owned a Thompson Chain Reference System NASB Study Bible but have let it languish on my shelf until the last few days. I actually to the time out yesterday to learn how to use it. As a result, it works pretty well...but I think I see some errors. Some of the chains of scriptures connected to a particular topic leave out some verses. For example, Topic #1204 [Faith's Blessings(4)] is listed beside Mark 11:23-24, but it leaves it out when it lists all of its referred texts in order in the the index at the back of the bible. This is just one example.

What are everyone else's experience with this book?

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I have litttle experience with the 'Thompson Chain' versions, but what little I do have sugests the system works fairly well as you suggested. However, like any other "study edition", it (the system) is 'flawed' in that it is merely the work of some individual, no matter that the intentions of the person were entirely homorable, and hence, IMO, is no more (and no less) 'inspired' than say, a 'Scofield', 'Ryrie', 'Nelson's NKJV', or 'Dake's', to name four fairly well known 'Study Bibles'.

Ed

3. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

I've been using a Thompson NKJV a little more than a year.

The chain topics can be used a short and simple commentary letting the Bible explain the Bible. It is also good for doing and simple research finding a chain in the topic index and then following the chain through the Bible. There are also other helps, I sometimes use the outlines. I liked it so much that I bought a portable edition in NIV for use when traveling that I carry in a leather Bible cover.

I most often find what I need or search for, but the Thompson is not perfect. I sometimes find more and better references when i use the Naves Topical Bible or when I use crossreferences in other Bibles.

So, I find myself using the Thompson for regular study, but when I want to study a topic in more detail I may also use other sources.

With the Thompson and a good one or two volume commentary I think I could do a quite good basic study of topics and and chapters. I love to have the Thompson when traveling. But, the chains is not perfect and I think that as any man made system may have some bias, but no big problem to an evangelical.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is called the "Numerical Index of Chain Topics" in recent editions is called the "Condensed Cyclopedia of Topics and Texts" in my older edition Thompson. The index is not exhaustive; apparently among the things condensed may be multiple references to nearly identical verses from the synoptic Gospels. Under 1204 in my Cyclopedia is listed (in parenthesis after Matt. 17:20) the reference Matt. 21:21, which is quite similar to the verses in Mark.

5. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Yeah, what they said! :applause: :thumbs: :)

6. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

While the Thompson Chain Reference Bible and Nave's Topical Bible are certainly very good sources for Bible study, if you're simply interested in having a Bible study reference tool that provides scripture cross references/parallel passages, there is probably no better one-volume source than The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, by Reuben A. Torrey (currently available from Amazon in hardcover for less than $20).

The book is essentially a compendium of thousands of scripture cross references and parallel passages--far more than either of those other two sources.

Although you may find a few cross references here and there that aren't especially helpful to a particular verse or topical study, by and large I think you'll find this book an extremely helpful tool for tracking down cross references and/or parallel passages. For its price, I doubt you'd find any other tool as helpful as this.

7. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

Thanks for advice. This would be a very good addition to the Thompson and the Nave's when studying a verse in depth. It would also make study more systematic not having to check cross references in several bibles, instead having them in one place. I found that it can be bought in Sweden and I have ordered it.