1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thompson in ESV?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by 3John2, Nov 29, 2003.

1. 3John2

3John2 New Member

Does anyone know if there are any plans for the Thompson study bible to come out in the ESV?

2. Marathon Man

Marathon Man New Member

I don't believe there are. Unfortunately, Kirkbride has shown no inclination to update any of their editions. At one time, there were plans to publish a new edition in the updated NASB, but these have apparently been scrapped.

I hate to say it, as I love the Thompson Chain Reference Bible, but Kirkbride shows no interest in this.

3. 3John2

3John2 New Member

What a shame about that. I think it would be a welcome addition to the Thompson chain. OH well sooner or later SOMEONE will have to make a study bible with the ESV. Too bad the New Open bible has been so messed up with all the new notes on it. I liked it when it just had the helps & NO NOTES.

4. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Perhaps one problem Kirkbride is reluctant in this because, so far, the ESV is not a popular version. I do not know one person who even owns this translation. My wife works at a Christian bookstore; they have not sold one copy so far.

5. 3John2

3John2 New Member

Wow! That is surprising. I visit certain Reformed forums & websites & it is the most popular version. Perhaps it is just that small minority in which the ESV is so popular in. In that case I don't blame Kirkbride as it is a matter of business.

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would you want a good version like the ESV saddled to such a weak study bible like the Thompson?

7. 3John2

3John2 New Member

So what do you consider a good study bible or a "strong" study bible?

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a study bible guy in general,money better spent on commentaries for individual books. But if you are going to go out an buy one I would go with the NIV/NASB Study Bible. Don't like the flipping back and forth of Thompson, plus the Campbellite notes in the Old Testament. No, I can't remember exactly where, it has been a while since I went through the study bible thing.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

As pointed out, Kirkbride is loathe to even improve on what they already publish, let alone publish a new translation. They apparently feel they will have enough revenue from selling NIVs and KJVs.

10. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Terry,

I own the ESV. It is my favorite translation. There. Now you know one person :D

Pete

P.S. It is also the pew Bible in my church.

11. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I am sure my friend Pete would agree with this next statement:

I do not wish to see the ESV in study bible format. God promised to preserve his word and has done so with the ESV. Any attempts at destroying the foundations will be met with severe judgment (Rev. 22). Don't tamper with the ESV and for the love of all thats good and right, don't buy anything but the thinline edition.

12. Terry_Herrington

BTW, the Thompson Chain Reference Bible is also available in NKJV.

Personally, I own the Thompson in NIV, NASB, and two in KJV (one is large print, I really like large print). Using all the chain references can be awkward, but I still enjoy following the chains.

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Terry,
    I'm another owner of the ESV (several, actually) and use it as my primary translation for preaching and teaching.

14. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am, alas, heterodox because I have only the classic version of the ESV, but it's my favorite.

15. 3John2

3John2 New Member

Well for Christmas I will be buying MYSELF an ESV in Thinline black leather. ARe they red letter?

16. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Are they red letter? My friend, who is discipling you? Check your salvation man.

17. Marathon Man

Marathon Man New Member

Yep.
    BTW, I've got a burgundy gen. leather Thinline on order. You guys convinced me that it's the true, genuine Word of God.

18. 3John2

3John2 New Member

Thanks! My main study bible is not red letter & that would be the only thing I'd change about it.

19. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Maybe Kirkbride is awaiting publication of the Holman Christian Standard Bible...or is the mere thought considered taboo in this thread? :rolleyes:

20. Terry_Herrington

I am still baffled as to why the ESV is virtually unknown here in my area of Houston, Texas. After all, this is the forth largest city in the country, and I do not know, personally, anyone who has even heard of the ESV translation, let alone purchase or use one. Many of these people are pastors, and I'm not talking about people who are KJVO.

BTW, I was reading and comparing the HCSB and the ESV online. I was disappointed with the HCSB on several occasions. I think that the ESV is superior to the HCSB, but I still like the KJV better than either of these new translations.