1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thoughts on this situation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Pastor Shaun, May 24, 2008.

1. eddie

eddie New Member

Liberty U. will allow you to transfer credits from a completed Master's degree into their M.Div program. Liberty granted me 39 transfer credits from my 42 credit-hour completed MA in Biblical Studies from Beacon University (nationally accredited). I have the official transfer evaluation from Liberty's Office of Transfer Evaluations.

However, I chose to stay at Luther Rice to finish my M.Div. I have two classes left after my three summer classes.

Eddie

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a very, very true statement. As Rhetorician has put very well, only go into college teaching if you are sure God has called you.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are some important statistics from a solid SBC seminary's (NOBTS) doctoral programs:

http://www.nobts.edu/Research/Program Description.html

Now, some of these graduates undoubtedly had church ministry in mind, but I highly doubt that the majority did PhD work without any intention of teaching. A 30% (approx.) placement rate is not good news for the person interested in teaching.

You may be able to find a position as an adjunct, but even those positions aren't all that common. With a PhD from a seminary, you generally can't do the traditional community college or state school rotation of teaching a survey here and there.

4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stefan Response

Thanks Stefan,

I amen all that you have said.

From my own personal experience, and believe me I have some. The stats are even moore abysmal than that.

If one were to procede along the lines discussed here, they must either;

1. Know for sure it was God's calling, or

2. Be beating their heads against a wall b/c of "hard-headedness!":BangHead: :laugh:

FWIW!

"That is all!"

5. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder if you have considered Temple Baptist Seminary? They have really enhanced their online programs and offer the M.R.E. (Master of Religious Education) which I think may be a really good choice for you. If they would transfer credits from your M.A. into this 60 credit hour program then you may go this route. They have also started a Ph.D. in Christian Leadership which can be done mostly online with some intensives. The online option might be good for you if you want to work while going to school.

I know that there are some on this board who have a hesitancy toward TRACS accreditation BUT if you were to finish your terminal degrees at the same institution then the concern to transfer to an ATS or RA school is not so much of a concern.

I have degrees from Liberty online (B.S.R., M.A.R., M.Div.) and a previous poster is absolutely right that the language requirements are very minimal in that program and will not meet the requirements for entrance into some of the more rigorous Ph.D. programs at larger accredited schools.

I have personally chosen to do the S.T.D. (Doctor of Sacred Theology) from a solid UA, unaccredited school. Make no mistake, many unaccredited schools offer very rigorous programs. They also cost a lot less and are a good option if they meet your needs. I am a local church pastor in an independent church and this route works great for me to earn a respected and less costly doctorate.

A previous poster also said well that you need to weigh out what you want to do and take a path than enables you with the appropriate credentials and training to get and DO the job.

Just some thoughts...

6. Pastor Shaun

Pastor Shaun New Member

Thanks for the options and advice.

Let me express where I am coming from. I feel called into both vocations. I want to prepare for both. When I said that I would love to teach at the university level I didn't mean that I felt called into that direction. Sorry if I confused some. However, I do WANT and feel COMPELLED to continue my christian education.

Right now, I feel God's calling into education and have worked in my calling as a pastor. IF God would lead me into a college ministry I would want to be prepared.

Someone stated that the call to ministry is also the call to prepare. I am preparing for both vocations. A TRACS school might be of my best interest because I will be making my income as a teacher. Some have expressed that this is a bad idea and that a person should attend a RA school. MY question is, what would be a good route for me to go into? I love both of these fields, and to attempt a doctorate degree would be challenging but yet rewarding.

I really like the MRE - Ed.D because of the option of receiving more christian education and being able to teach education at the college level. Both degrees are usable. I know that it is difficult to get a job teaching college, and that might never happen. However, a person would still be educated and able to assist others in a variety of fields.

I am still weighing my options. Thanks!

God bless!

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Not wanting to "toss cold water", but may I suggest that you at least finish the Bachelor's before worrying too much about your Doctorate. The potential Master's, is likely worth contemplating, say, by the time you hit into your Junior and/or Senior years, certainly, but looking to "which Doctorate" one should then be acquiring, at this early stage, is a bit like "counting your chickens before they hatch", IMO.

FTR, some institutions will allow some additional (to even full) credit where one "surrenders" one's previously earned degree, towards one of comparable or slightly advanced standing.

One is not particularly likely to get three 'reputable' degrees, to tack onto the resume, for the 'price of only one', so to speak, such as having an MA (30-32 hrs.), MRE, MAR, or MATS (60-64 hrs) and MDiv (90-96 hrs), for a grand total of, say, 100 hrs. study. (Make it 160-170 hrs., then we'll talk about it.)

Nor should they, IM 'unvarnished' O.

[Edited to add!]

Oh yeah! You could always shoot for the resume of theologian, preacher and scholar, Dr. John Warwick Montgomery, with -:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Warwick_Montgomery#Education

Now that is something to aim for!

:D :laugh:

Ed

#27 EdSutton, May 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2008
  8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, the master's degree determines what doctoral degrees are "available" to you.

9. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

This is true to some extent, BUT, let me tell you briefly my own story of "considering" (obsessing) over what degree path to take. As I mentioned to you before, I have earned three degrees - all with Liberty through Distance learning - (B.S.R., M.A.R., M.Div.)

The funniest part of that (especially to my wife!) is that I have done MORE research on EVERY distance learning theological program in existence that probably anyone you are likely to meet. I have given serious thought to writing a book about but "Baker's Guide to Christian Distance Education" already exists! Which, by the way, I wish I would have found BEFORE all of that research!

After all of the research I was doing, I kept enrolling in classes and applying for degrees with Liberty because it was, as I am most convinced, what God had in mind, and also it made the most sense for me.

I would echo the sentiments of a previous poster, focus on each class of your current program and consider the Master's degree (I would recommend taking advantage of the discount for your first graduate degree...)

some thoughts...