1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thru the Bible by Vernon McGee

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by hawg_427, Feb 11, 2008.

1. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

I was looking at CBD and saw the Thru the Bible 5 Vol commentary set for 49.99 published in 1988 by Nelson. The 1990 version is published by Zondervan and had paper covers on the books. Is their any difference in the books inside?Printed on better paper, better typeface?

2. Beth

Beth New Member

I love Vernon

We have his series on cd. I don't agree with absolutely everything, but I just LOVE his humility. He was fond of saying, "At THIS point, unless convicted by the Holy Spirit otherwise, this is my understanding of this Scripture....." Wonderful servant!!

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I have the 1988 set. When you want practical application without a lot of hype you can't beat Dr. McGee in my opinion. "May I say..." I love his style. It's interesting to listen to his Thru the Bible on the radio. The style he uses is completely different from his preaching style. Thur the Bible is very to the point teaching. But, his preaching, at least what I have heard, is right on, but full of compassion, humor, and grace.

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I can't answer your question, but I have the hard back set from years ago. He has been a blessing to me from the 60's on.

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

When I started preaching 20 years ago I bought the "Thru the Bible" complete set----I believe it was 5 volumes

Well---sometime after that I had a fella wanting to do a study on a particular book of the Bible---and was wanting to borrow a couple of books from my library

"MY BELOVED----THIS IS WHERE THE RUBBER MEETS THE ROAD!!!"

I let the dude borrow a volume from the set

I let time pass and then when I saw him sometime later I asked

"Dude!! You finished with the book you borrowed from me??"

"Book?? What book?? I never borrowed any book from you!!"

"Yes, you did!! J. Vernon McGee's volume out of my set!!"

"Man! I don't have your book!!"

"Then who does??"

"I don't know!! I suppose whoever you lent it too has it!!!"

I was wondering if there were a book store or company that sells volumes from his set---it looks like I'll never see that book I lent out again---but I'd like to have my McGee volume as a complete set

"AND NOW, DEAR LISTENER!! WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T LEND OUT YOUR BOOKS!! I DO HOPE I'VE MADE THAT CLEAR!!!!"

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I rather liked McGee, though I seldom listened to him, until one day he got onto something that bugged me. I don't remember what scripture he was supposed to be on, but somehow he began talking about "the manse," another word for parsonage, that his denomnation (one of the Presbyterian groups) usually provided for a senior minister. He started grumbling about how the value of the house goes up and the pastor (if that's what they call them) "gits nuthiln from it." He was claiming a pastor should be entitled to a capital gain for something he never invested in, not only tax-free, but a home he got rent-free as part of the compensation package. I wonder if he owned any rent properties and whether he gave renters such a gain. But also, several times, he mentioned that he is not in the siltuation to live in a manse any more, so he added, "but that's none of my business." As I hate false disclaimers, especially when repeated a couple of times, he did hurt my opinion of him that day.

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I don't always agree with the dear Dr. He can be in your face and a bit opinionated. But, for the most part, 98.9% of the time, he's right on. And, I agree concerning the parsonage. When a pastor retires, where is he going to go? Most folks who have never lived in a parsonage think the church is doing a pastor a big favor by letting him live in "their" home. But in reality, they are hurting him in the long run.