1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Time for #15, the time is always right to meme it up

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Wingman68, Aug 31, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wingman68

Wingman68 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMG_6521.png

IMG_6513.png

IMG_6518.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was successful. The boutique operated for 32 years (not far from my home). It attracted people from across the US and was one of the oldest family run businesses in the area. Exotica International was recognized in the early 2000's for its success (it had expanded twice before moving to Columbia SC....Lexington is a suburb of Columbia but Columbia is the primary business hub in that area...with Lexington having the lake).

Michael Haley bought the property for $5, but in doing so he assumed over $1,000,000 of the existing loan (that $5 was actually a little over a million). And that was for the strip mall in Lexington (not too far from the zoo).

So I sell you my property for $5. You assume my debt for $1,100,000. You actually "paid" $1,100,005 because of the debt. BUT I don't have to pay taxes at that level because the property sold for $5 and the debt was transferred to you. And yes, it is legal (often a way of selling businesses).

But it was a successful clothing business that closed after a little over three decades. Many have.

I just noticed your post was misinformation about the nature of the business. It started as a gift shop for worldwide items and then incorporated clothing. It was recognized for its success in 2002 (came in second in SC).

What made you think it was a lingerie store???

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Wingman68

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haley’s ‘deplorables’ moment on Fox & Friends today. Not smart.

Nikki Haley said on Fox and Friends that President Trump’s supporters aren’t normal people. What an awful thing to say. All trump supporters in New Hampshire must get out and vote. It’s so important to send the globalists a big message at the ballot box.

Donald Trump’s support among national Republican primary voters has now risen to its highest level yet.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am curious, as it is very important to evaluate the sources we accept as accurate (it is not something we can simply skip as it speaks to the integrity of a source) -

You posted misinformation that Haley's parents boutique was a lingerie company.

What made you think it was a lingerie company?

You indicated that the company was not successful. But that is not true either. It was a very successful business for over three decades (even to the extent it was recognized by SC business organizations in 2002). The owners (Haley's parents) retired and closed the business after 32 years.

What made you think the company had not been successful?

You mentioned Haley's debt increasing by $500,000 to a total of a little over $1,000,000. But you left off that this includes assuming over $1,000,000 in debt from the purchase of the Lexington property (she took on $1,000,000 in debt resulting in an increase of $500,000....which is not bad at all).

Why present information that is misleading due to exclusion of details?

You note that Haley's parents sold their Lexington property for $5 and the business closed. But you did not mention that the reason was Haley's parents retirement. They sold the property for $5, with Haley and her husband assuming the debt of the property (they "paid" over one million). And her parents retired (her father was a biology professor for 29 years, retired from that position in 1998 and retired from the clothing industry in 2008).

This seems at least misleading as your post implied that the business itself was unsuccessful, hence its closure. Why did you not mention these facts as they cast doubt on your conclusions?

I understand that this is a small issue. But if a source cannot be trusted with small issues then it can't be trusted with important things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What makes you think that Haley said Trump supporters are not normal people?

What she said is that normal people are not obsessed with Trump.

This is what she actually said:

"The thing is, normal people aren't obsessed with Trump"

She continued - "The normal people care about the fact that they can't afford things. They feel like their freedoms are being taken away. They think government is too big."

What made you think that she said Trump supporters are not normal people?

• Like Like x 1
  6. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Normal people are not obsessed with Trump. That’s true.

Democrats are NOT normal people and they ARE obsessed with Trump. They have TDS—Trump Derangement Syndrome.

• Like Like x 1
  7. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with JonC, Hailey did not claim DT supporters are not normal. I think she is making a play for independents.

People that are obsessed with DT, right or left, do not represent the vast majority of voters of any party.

However, I’m sure it will be presented as her claiming DT’s supporters are not normal. I agree it was an error to use that language.

I predict…. It makes no difference. DT wins NH by 25- 30 points.

peace to you

8. Wingman68

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

NEWS/COMMENTARY
    Testy Nikki Haley turns on ‘Fox & Friends’ hosts in disaster interview, appalled viewers ‘gasp’
    January 23, 2024 | Kevin Haggerty | Share

A “frantic” Haley caused voters to “gasp” during a live interview challenging the integrity of the “Fox & Friends” hosts.

“I’m really wondering why you think we’re the enemy.”

(Video: Fox News)

By most indicators, a path to the nomination has proven unlikely for former United Nations Ambassador Nikki Haley heading into the first in the nation New Hampshire primary. That didn’t stop the last woman standing against former President Donald Trump from treating the co-hosts on the curvy couch as whipping boys over allegedly biased coverage.

Joining Steve Doocy, Ainsley Earhardt and Brian Kilmeade for “Fox & Friends” live in the Granite State, the lengthy sit down included a number of direct barbs as the candidate was confronted with facts about the campaign.

“If you don’t win today, do you go on to South Carolina?” asked Earhardt at one point, even expressing favor for the Palmetto State’s former executive. “You don’t want to go into your state and lose that state if you stay in the race, ’cause we’d love to see you in some other capacity down the road. What is your response to that? Do you get out if you lose today?”

“No,” began the testy response from Haley, “I don’t get out if I lose today. First of all, again, I’m gonna say this: we’ve had 56,000 people vote for Donald Trump and you’re gonna say that’s what the country wants. That’s not what the country wants. We’re gonna have New Hampshire vote today. They deserve to have the power of their voice.”

Backing up his co-host, Kilmeade interjected, “But do you worry the Iowa polls were right? Right now you’re down double digits in probably the last three major polls. And in South Carolina, I think you’re down 40 or 50 points. So do you think those polls are that dramatically wrong, and you can make up that difference?”

As the ambassador negated the freshness of the polls and argued about her past successes against popular candidates in South Carolina, Kilmeade added, “So there’s no scenario where it stops tonight?”

“I’m gonna fight no matter what. I don’t care how much y’all want to coronate Donald Trump,” charged Haley during her response. “At the end of the day, that’s not what Americans want. Americans want a choice. And we’re gonna give them that same.”

Harkening back to her repeated jabs throughout the discussion that included her suggesting supporters of Trump weren’t “normal people” because “normal people are saying, ‘we want someone who can go eight years,'” Kilmeade brought up, “You keep saying ‘coronate,’ ‘lie,’ ‘not tell the truth,’ what you said on the couch; I’m really wondering why you think we’re the enemy.”

Continuing to gripe over her failure to win broader support from voters and notable endorsements despite appearing on every debate stage, including a head-to-head matchup with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, Haley contended, “Because I’ve looked at the media. Look at the media saying, ‘Oh, this is Donald Trump’s to have,’ look at the political class all coalescing and saying, ‘everybody needs to get out.’ That’s not democracy. That’s not who we are.”

“When have we ever had two people — down to two people in New Hampshire? And you say, oh, it’s over. We don’t do that. South Carolina is an amazing state,” she added.

Following the heated interview, fellow “Fox & Friends” co-host Lawrence Jones joined in from a diner where he said, “There was one point in the middle of the interview where everyone in this diner gasped at her response toward the anchors.”

Letting viewers speak for themselves, one woman expressed, “I think the fact that she has to question whether or not you guys will report accordingly — numbers are numbers. You know, I think that some of her speaking — omissions of truths are lies.”

(Video: Fox News)

“If she doesn’t do well, that’s on her,” the diner added before someone else told Jones, “I had a very similar reaction. I thought she was very accusatory. If I’m running for federal office, or any office for that matter, I’m not gonna accuse you of not telling the truth and lying. I’m gonna put it on me and I’ll be asking for your vote and trying to get you on my side, not accuse you.”

Others weighed in online to criticize Haley’s behavior with one stating, “Nikki Haley is just too frantic. Watching her on Fox and Friends, where she is accusing them of being unfair. Really? She is pumped on the channel all day. Truly she is hard to watch and listen to.”

Unashamed or under the impression that all news is good news, the ambassador’s campaign shared the entire interview which can be viewed below via her YouTube channel:

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not all Democrats, just not all Republicans, are obsessed with Trump.

But I agree that the DNC is obsessed. So is Biden.

And....Trump is obsessed with Trump too :Biggrin .

My main question, however, was why @Wingman68 posted so many things in quick succession that were not true.

I was curious as to why he believed that Haley's parents owned a lingerie company, why he thought the boutique had been unsuccessful, why he didn't acknowledged the business closed in 2008 be abuse the owners retired, and why he thought that Haley had said Trump supporters are not normal.

All of those things were untrue.

That is my issue with Christians involved in politics - not that they are but that it sometimes destroys their credibility and witness because they are fooled into believing and repeating false propaganda.

A lie is a lie. I do not believe God hates a lie any less when it comes from a Christian. If anything, I believe it is worse coming from a believer because it damages the reputation of churches.

I am not saying @Wingman68 posted dishonesty, as I believe that he thought the information he repeated was true. But the fact remains that he was manipulated into repeating false propaganda and that damages his witness.

If a Christian repeats lies, even unknowingly, when it doesn't really matter then how can that person be considered trustworthy when it dies matter?

That is my concern. From what I can tell it appears that @Wingman68 is a brother in Christ. He and I share identical values when it comes to this nation. But he has been manipulated into believing conspiracy theories, false propaganda, and outright lies.

It seems politics in our nation has become too much a game, too much in the realm of misinformation, and too many become "sheeple" believing anything they hear from their "shepherds".

Consider this:

1. How hard would it have been to know that Haley didn't really say Trump supporters were not normal?

It was very simple. Look up the actual statement and see what she really said. It takes about 2 minutes, at most.

2. How hard would it have been to know Haley's parents business was successful?

Very easy (easier for me because I live in the area). But all you had to do is look it up. They were featured on several business articles in SC.

3. How easy would it have been to know Haley's parents business was not a lingerie company?

Again, very easy because it was a well known boutique in the area.

There is no excuse to believe the misinformation @Wingman68 repeated. But people (sheeple) do because they believe anything they are told if it comes from a specific camp or advanced their political agenda.

That is wrong. We are responsible for the things we say, and repeat.

10. iThinkStuff

iThinkStuff Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Bring back the memes please! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. iThinkStuff

iThinkStuff Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    reidtrump.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But we need to know the difference between a meme and a lie printed on a picture. ;)

The OP (@Wingman68 ) made false claims and needs to defend his use of misinformation.

That misinformation was not in meme form.

Also and unfortunately too many "Christians" get their "news" from memes.

So the bottom line is @Wingman68 posted several false statements of current relevance.

I am asking why he believed those things (assuming he believed what he posted).

The reason is there comes a point where memes are anti-Christian memes, and we have reached that point.

• Like Like x 1
  13. iThinkStuff

iThinkStuff Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    blacktrump.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thread closed due to length.