1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TNIV --- The GOOD the BAD

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Oct 23, 2004.

?
  1. Yes

86.4%
  2. No

13.6%
  3. I don't know enough about it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

To a certain degree, it doesn't matter what we "believe". When interpreting scripture, it's the most accurate translation that's important. If we find that certain passages haven't been accurately rendered, we may find that our "beliefs" may need to be adjusted to match the Word.

Of course, that's probably the key to the whole TNIV debate.

2. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

Therein lies the danger. You stated that "we may find that our beliefs may need to be adjusted to match the Word". What???? Even if the word is wrong? :eek: A lot of people to not do extensive study about what is actually in the manuscripts. They just trust and go by what is written or preached. So in this case their beliefs would be based on words that do not exist in any of the manuscripts. Not one mss has women "who are deacons" on 1 Tim 3:11. This is just one example where the TNIV has inserted a phrase to twist the text to make it to conform to this "politically correct" world.

Do you remember this, that we are not to add to or take away from the words of God???

[ October 26, 2004, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Deborah B. ]

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was just pointing out that someone as conservative as you seem to be disagrees with your understanding of that passage.

I see the whole "God has a proper role business" as the true danger. It violates the model of Jesus and takes us back to a 1st century mindset which devalued the contribution of women within the society as a whole. I choose to follow the example of Jesus as he lifted women up and not the corrections Paul HAD to make to a church with obvious, serious problems as the standard or norm for my faith and doctrine (the so you don't follow the teachings of Paul charge would be invaild and not what was said) I know I won't change your mind, nor will you change mine, but you stated your points so I thought I would state mine.

4. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

go2church, I am a woman myself. Why would I want to devalue women? That was not my intentions in my posts. You took it the wrong way. FYI, of course women make huge contributions to society! Of course Jesus lifted up women, as well as us all. I don't disagree with any of that. I was NOT even making an argument against women deacons. I was simply stating that the TNIV inserts words and phrases and changes words to gender neutral words to what they thought the author's intentions were, and I gave you an example. I believe it is dangerous to assume what the author supposedly "intended" to say or "what he really meant" and add or change words accordingly.

By the way, even IF Paul was only talking to one or two corrupt churches, what right does anyone have to add phrases and change words of scripture just to make it politically correct? We can make assumptions ourselves when reading a more true translation than the TNIV. The TNIV adds to and changes scripture and tries fool people to actually believe it is "true" scripture.

5. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

6. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it bad to translate a word in the manner that the original readers/ hearers would have understood it? I don't think so, evidently you do. For the record, it is not gender neutral impplying without any gender anywhere. It is gender accurate there is a huge difference. See above post.

Concerning the comment about the TNIV trying to fool people...I won't even dignify that remark with a response

8. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

I do not want nor expect a comment from you about my comments as there is no doubt that you like the TNIV. That's fine, but I don't!

My concern is geared to those new Christians or children who might make the mistake of choosing the TNIV their first Bible and falsely believe that it is true to scripture. It is full of a bunch of judgement calls and opinions of the TNIV team suckering in to this corrupt and polically correct world.

All one has to do is just open the TNIV and read a few passages and they will immediately see what I am talking about.

In Christ,
    Deborah

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you read the TNIV, do you even own a copy or are you just parroting James Dobson's talking points?

10. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

I have a copy of the New Testament that was a free gift from Christianbook.com

11. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

I'm not going to defend the TNIV, since I'm not a authority on all of the issues. But the concept of "gender accuracy" is justified. I've read about some of the instances where "man" was changed to a format to include women, since the original text actually indicated that. If that is indeed true, I'd rather see the closest translation we can get - I don't care to see "man" if that was not what was originally written.

You have to admit now that at least most of the popular translations use the term "man" in instances where women are probably also to be included. But a strict reading seems to exclude women. This is a problem for some - others don't mind re-intrepreting the scripture to include women as they go.