1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured To say salvation is by "faith alone" is a false gospel.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Robert William, Mar 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I understand that Calvinists must apply custom definitions to plain scripture in order for their theology to work for them. I also understand, according to Calvinism, that free will to come to Christ is something you get from God if He determines you should have it.

2. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't call it custom definitions. It would be silly to take every mention of "life" in the NT to refer to regeneration.

"I come that you might have regeneration and have it more abundantly."

"...the gift of God is eternal regeneration."

???

3. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You state that regeneration precedes salvation. And what is the duration of time between regeneration and salvation?

4. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are so many views on that. I say scripture doesn't give us enough insight into the duration (if one believes that it precedes salvation chronologically or logically), but what is certain is that regeneration is necessary for salvation and that salvation will definitely come as a result.

5. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regeneration = Salvation.

It's the same thing.

Titus 3:5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit,

6. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The scripture you just posted proves that wrong.

If regeneration = salvation as you say than the text could be read "...He REGENERATED us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit". But it says he SAVED us...how? by the washing of regeneration and the renewal of the Holy Spirit.

7. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The verse says He saved us. How? Through regeneration.

If we want to extend the logic used in your example we could read the verse, "He regenerated us through salvation."

8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I beg to differ. Without “free will’, the volition of man, the "genuine" ability to respond to the influences of God, the Determinist’s reasoning unavoidably leads to nothing more than a lottery gospel.

9. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes if we went with your view that regeneration = salvation that would also be unsatisfactory. A great parallel to Titus 3:5 would be John 3:5. Regenerated literally means “born again” or born from above or born of the Spirit. Salvation would is adoption into the kingdom of God. Therefore we see in John 3:5 regeneration “born of the Spirit” being a PRE-requisite for adoption and salvation “being apart of the kingdom of God.”

10. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree but like I said earlier most "mainstream" Calvinists embrace a compatibilistic/concurrent view of moral agency and God's sovereignty.

11. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

"Mainstream" Calvinists are more often than not abandoning “compatibilism” (free will/not free will – volition/not volition) as illogical and therefore are turning to Hard Determinism to defend their theological system. But glad to hear that you recognize the need the need to maintain the volition of man, in whatever form or definition, whether logically supported or not to avoid theological fatalism.

Robert (Apparently not “mainstream”), you might want to pay to the attention to the issues being addressed here. ;)

12. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There in is my reasoning for mainstream in quotations (wishful thinking lol). The logical support for Calvinistic compatibilism is the doctrine of concurrence.

13. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

We are saved Grace through Faith. Simple God in Grace sent Christ to die for the sins of all mankind. Then He gave man volition to make a choice to accept of reject. In John 3:17 & 18 Jesus made it quiet clear "Those who believe (that is by Faith) are not condemned, those who don't believe (have Faith) are condemned already. Very simple Faith is not works, works are those things done in the flesh trying to obtain salvation, such as giving large sums to church or to charities, being benevolent is a work and not accepted by God. Working around the church with ground maintenance is good but it is a work and will not save you. Teaching Sunday School is a work it will not save you. Believing on the Lord Jesus is not a work, it is utilizing the Volition God gave us by His Grace for salvation by Faith.

14. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll repeat what I said in post #56:
    Well to believe is to do something...which is an act or deed. Take Galatians 5:22 which says faith is a fruit of the Spirit. That word fruit (karpos transliterated in Greek) means fruit, WORK, act, and deed.

We can't ignore what scripture is saying right here.

15. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's true, but no matter how one slices it, grace to regenerate a God hating sinful human has to come first, and ONLY the predestined elect are, at their appointed time regenerated. :) Regeneration precedes faith.

#75 Robert William, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2015
  16. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't say it any better than that. :thumbs:

17. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

No, we can't. But we also shouldn't simply lump FAITH in with all the other works when the scriptures says quite clearly that we are saved by grace through faith, but not of works.

I think when Paul was mentioning "works" to the Ephesians, he was thinking more of the situation outlined by Christ here:

18. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Karpos means work and pistis means faith. That is as plain as it could be.

19. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If faith is a gift of God, why was Jesus amazed at the faith which He found in the Centurion? Two things--faith was "found" in the Centurion and Jesus marveled at it.

Matt 8:10 When Jesus heard it, He marveled, and said to those who followed, “Assuredly, I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel!

If faith is a gift of God, why did Jesus "see" the faith inside the paralytic man, subsequently heal him, and forgive him of his sins?

Matt 9:1-2
    So He got into a boat, crossed over, and came to His own city. 2 Then behold, they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, “Son, be of good cheer; your sins are forgiven you.”

There's several other examples like this in scripture. Jesus "finds faith" in people then heals them or forgives their sins.

20. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible clearly teaches faith being a means to blessing (Eph. 2:8 with "for" which is dia in Greek which is "by means of") and that this is a gift of God (Eph. 2:8; Gal. 5:22; Phil. 1:29). So God not only provided the paralytic with the healing, but the means to that healing. To God be the glory!! :godisgood:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.