1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

To WITNESS or JUDGE: That is the question?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Nov 4, 2016.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    https://www.openbible.info/topics/being_a_witness

Over the past few years, there are thoseon this forum who seem to gain certain pleasure from judging the mindset and faith of others who make comments and author a topic up for debate. I.e., instead of debating the issue, they rip on your grammar. Point out spelling errors, and try to interpret or put words in your mouth or worse yet from your heart as to your OP or comment!. It is for this reason that I have prayerfully decided to toss this question to you, the faithful; the members of this fellowship/forum.

In the link I shared above, are numerous verses that speak to sharing the Gospel message in a manner that expresses your faith and relationship in Jesus to the lost around you. In short we have been called in Matthew 28:19 to "go and witness in order to make disciples of men for Christ!" One of the great witnesses of our time was the late Dr. Bill Bright of Campus Crusade for Christ. Dr. Bright and I met in the mid-70's and I was honored to be an intricate part of his witnessing efforts around Southern California. https://www.cru.org/train-and-grow/10-basic-steps/7-the-christian-and-witnessing.html

I do not hold to the desire to judge others, although there have been times I've fallen into that sin ... I try hard to stay far away from trying ti insinuate by inuendo or straight out acussations as to what is or isn't in the heart of another man or woman professing to love and follow Christ. I do not always see eye-to-eye with my brothers and sisters, but I am not going to go around questioning their sincerity for Jesus or the fellowship of believers, because I was taught differently and molded in the style of faith that led me to believe that I've been called to be a witness, not a magistrate or judge.

So I thought I'd toss this question out to you to give an opinion on. Which have you been called to do for the Kingdom of God? Judge one another, or witness to the lost as well as give a defense for your faith to those who question your lifestyle, words and actions? And which action (judging or witnessing) brings more glory to the Kingdom?

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Witness to the lost however I get judged all the time by some on this board and my motives and heart has been judged as well because of my failure to make disciples. If I could make one I would and desire it.

Well I came close on two occasions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But sometimes we must make a diagnosis as Dr Tom did for evangelist6589.

However he did not do it as judge, jury and hangman but in the spirit of the good physician for healing of the soul and spirit.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So many people here on the BB (and of course elsewhere) confuse the terms discern, rebuke, and judge.

To discern is to determine the correctness of a position or action. When we fail to discern we open ourselves up to being deceived or led astray. To say, "Your position is not based on Scripture" is to discern.

To rebuke is to tell someone they are wrong in hopes of helping them find what is right to do. If we fail to rebuke a brother in Christ, we are failing to love. "Open rebuke is better than secret love" (Prov. 27:5). People who reject a godly rebuke label themselves as fools (Prov. 12:15). To say, "You are wrong and should change" is to rebuke.

Finally, to judge in Scripture means to set oneself up as one with authority, and pass down judgment. To say, "God will get you for that" is to judge.

• Like Like x 1
  6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't get judged all the time here. You get rebuked, which is something else entirely.

• Agree Agree x 3