1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Top Ten: Myths about Evolution

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Aug 21, 2014.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

It is obviously hypothetical since evolution cannot be proven! Biologic evolution involves time and chance!.

The concept of evolution involves all that exists, not just biologic evolution. The universe exist because of God or the laws of physics absent a lawgiver,

I have no idea what you are trying to say and I have no idea whose faith you are questioning! You do realize that questioning someones faith is akin to questioning their Salvation which is forbidden!

I would also note that it is amazing how frequently people on this BB will use the words liar or lying in conjunction with God! Perhaps they should take to heart certain Scripture:

Titus 1:2. In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

Hebrews 6:18. That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:

#21 OldRegular, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2014
  2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that you mean "deny it", in reference to a literal interpretation of Genesis, or am I off base with my thought?

If you're intending what I think you are, I would say that "deny" is the wrong word. I don't deny God is/was Creator. I don't think Genesis was intended to be a literal telling of how things happened, but a telling of the who is behind/source/initiator of creation. That is my interpretation. A difference of interpretation is not a denial of the whole.

I hold loosely to the the claims of science (humanity). They are often wrong and in need of change quite often. Right now science says billions of years...okay, fine, my faith is not grounded in humanities ability to figure out dates and times of this or that. I'm not nervous about scientists doing research or demanding they affirm my faith with their findings. Get in there scientists, dig around, since all truth is God's truth, I have nothing to worry about, it will ultimately find it's way back to God.

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Swing and a miss. I'm not questioning anyone's salvation. I'll try and be more clear.

If the totality of your faith hinges on Genesis being understood literal, if the whole thing stands or falls with six, twenty-four hour days, that is a very weak hinge that will either stunt your spiritual growth or drive you from your faith.

4. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Good point.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How convenient............

6. OldRegular

I will bet you have brown eyes like most people in Texas!

7. OldRegular

I would not worry if I were you. I am sufficiently mature in my spiritual growth that I know faith is a gift of God?

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a common defensive posture of those who hold to evolution but it does nothing to address the issues at hand. What it stands or falls on is, is what God said is true? Is the word of God reliable in Genesis 3:15 when God prohpesied that the messiah would come.

We have to be careful. Allegory and poetry can be asigned to anything. When the plain reading of scripture makes sense then we need to stick to that. INterpreting scripture through the lense of science is never a good idea. There is no other way to support evolution as a Christian.

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, nope. Not sure what that has to do with anything. What did I miss?

10. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes indeed, have to be careful. But don't forget the reverse is also true. If it's poetry or allegory and you interpret it with a plain meaning approach, you'll miss the point as well. Have to keep the authors original intent at the forefront of your mind. What is the genre, who is the audience, why is this being written. It can't mean today what it never meant originally.

11. OldRegular

Why would GOD take upon Himself the form of a man and suffer the Cross to redeem those He did not create?

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know, you would have to ask someone who doesn't believe God is Creator? Though, if a person didn't believe in God as Creator, I doubt they would believe in God as Redeemer. It's possible I guess, I've never encountered such a person.

13. OldRegular

Genesis 1 tells us that GOD is Creator. If you don't believe it is literal truth it raises questions as to your belief that GOD is Creator!

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

To be fair I don't think that is what he meant

15. OldRegular

Perhaps?????? But evolution is not Creation!

16. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is Creator, have already said as much. Let me try again.

If a passage is poetry, say "four corners of the earth" but if you take it literally, you have misinterpreted the passage. The writer wasn't making a point about the earth having corners, it was an idiom, not to be understood literally. Being too literal can be just as misguided as not being literal enough.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

"The first day" is not an idiom

18. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is God somehow less God if evolution was the process used to establish Creation? I don't believe so. Whatever process was used, God was and is behind it.

19. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #39 go2church, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
  20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist