1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Torah Observant"

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by annsni, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:

I have had to do with these people for half a century.

That they are legalists is the least of their errors; they DO NOT BELIEVE JESUS' DIVINITY!

They will explain with vehemence how that they do believe Jesus is God, but they will REFUSE if you asked them to "confess with the Church of all time: I believe in God: the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit."

Hulle is groot SKELMS! They are DISHONEST and HYPOCRITES.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    people who spend more time observing old testament ritual vs being transformed by new testament....example, a fellow who strictly observes Sabbath as OT Jews would.

3. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think it's totally sidetracking. Someone's asking about a Torah Observing group, and we're offering our knowledge of and caution about them. some of them are OK, and some are dangerous, and we will see this a bit differently according to what we believe about the Law, and whether all practices are superseded, or it is more an issue of liberty.

Many Messianic groups are BINITARIAN, so they DO believe Jesus is God, but will not confess all three, because they do not believe the Spirit is a separate "person". Armstrongism, and the other "Church of God" groups are like that.
    Now, there are some groups, that have gone further than that, as I alluded, into Arianism and unitarianism. The House Of Yahweh in Texas is about the most legalistic and meticulous in doctrine/practice/sacred name, you'll find.

4. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

There are already threads that deal with the Sabbath as a specific issue and as I said I will be more than happy to respond to your objections on another thread.

If we start into the Sabbath on this thread it will derail the subject of this thread which is Messanic Jews IN GENERAL not the sabbath issue in specific. You know that GE is now on this thread and it would completely transform it into a specific Sabbath issue if we started down that road. I have already dealt with every objection you raised on the Sabbath thread and would be happy to repeat my responses there.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Paul testifies that he was a Jew after the strictest sort, and kept the law.
    But later on this is what he says about the law:

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. (Galatians 3:10)
    --The meaning here is that if were possible for you to keep the whole law all your life, from birth to death, and just sin one time in your entire life, you would be cursed. God's standard is "to continue in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them." There are no exceptions. From birth to death one must continue every day in the law not breaking one single law. His standard is absolute perfection. Just one slip and you are cursed under the law.
    The truth is that we sin every day. We break God's law many times each day; and the Jews more, for they have a much more extensive law to follow.

Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: (Galatians 3:13)
    --But praise God that Christ has redeemed us from that curse--the curse of the Law. He became a curse for us, by dying on the cross, paying the penalty of our sins that we don't have to keep all the law. All of that ceremonial law was nailed to the cross. We are no longer under the curse of the law. It condemns us no longer. We are free from its bondage.

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Hi Doctor Walter! Hope things are going well for you.
    It's so true that there are many differences, just as there are many differences among Baptists or other groups that claim Christ. I feel extremely blessed to have found a congregation with no theological differences thus far from my home church, despite Messianic groups being few and far between, with decent ones being quite rare - at least in my area.

Their heritage is within the family, both by blood and belief. Unfortunately, most of those who still practiced were Orthodox and didn't believe in Jesus. I remember going to the Rabbi as a child to question why the NT wasn't believed. I don't remember the answer, but it made no sense to me. Later in life I understood but still disagreed. My speaking of "heritage" has to do with this, not the arguable day of the week one chooses, which I personally don't find any reason for. We could all meet on Tuesdays for that matter, so long as we observe a day of meeting together to encourage one another, worship together, and be away from work and the world. Three of my children are half-Chinese and we also do some things such as a small observance of Chinese New Years and those types of things, although we live in the United States. However, I find the Jewish traditions much more meaningful and I'll point out why in reply to your next statement.

I can't remember where I read it, but I once read a book in which the author stated that if we want to see where we're going, we need to look back and see where we've been. I see no sin in remembering the roots of Christianity, so long as one realizes they were pictures/symbols of what was and was to come and what has been fulfilled. Not changed, fulfilled.

So true. They were doing this under bondage, which tells us they felt grace wasn't enough to save them. Paul says they were SERVING the law and the law was their master. That is wrong. The law no longer is in effect, yet they were depending on it for themselves and not only that, it sounds as if they were compelling Gentiles to follow the law. There were people who came in secretly in the hope of pulling away those who believed in grace and bringing them under bondage to the law again. This is NOT what is going on in my congregation. Immersion and the Lord's supper continue to be observed as is required. Whenever there is a Holy Day, what it symbolized in the past is fully explained. Unlike immersion and the wine and the cup, nobody looks to these as helpers to grace or in any way a requirement.

Funny you should say that. The Rabbi said the same thing this morning...there is neither Jew nor Gentile. In fact, I can't recall a Saturday that went by thus far where the service hasn't opened with mention of ALL being equal, one in Christ, with no differences. It is even part of one of the songs, Jew and Gentile united together, one in unity and one in Christ. It appears to me that he takes special precautions in pointing out that there is no difference between those who are Jewish by blood and Christian by faith and those who are Gentile by blood and Christian by faith.

I'm going to throw in a tiny little testimony here to show how looking back has helped me look forward. Do you know how difficult it is to make amends with people you feel have done you wrong and to swallow your pride and take blame for it in order to restore a relationship with a fellow believer? If not, then I'm very happy for you, but for me, this can be very difficult when I really think I'm in the right.

Point is, I was angry with a couple people from my church and one from outside of it. I was uncomfortable around them and it was affecting me spiritually. It needed to be made right. I WANTED to be blameless but I kept being angry and kept trying to screw up my courage to go do the right thing. In the past, this has been a process that takes far too long with me. It happens, but it takes so much longer than it should. I kept thinking "I'm in the right, I shouldn't have to be the one to go apologize, they should apologize to me AND do it in front of the church!" I was so angry. It's very difficult to go worship with other believers when you are angry with even one of them, let alone more. And being how I am, I'd have struggled with this for a long long time before breaking. My husband and I even considered leaving the church over the issue.
    It just happens that historically, this is the month of "elul" and a time for reflection and making things right. Should we do this all the time? Definitely! Do I? I try. I fail. However, the words of the Rabbi kept ringing in my head as he focused last week's lesson on how this should be part of daily lives all the time. Would he have focused on this otherwise? I don't know, but the point is, it is that time of the year historically and he did and I needed it. It gave me that final push I needed to swallow my pride and go do what I needed to make things right in my Baptist church and I did it the next day.

Am I going to wait another year for the traditional time for this to come around before I do this again? I sure hope not. It's not my intention. It's a sin to not do it this time of year and just as much to not do it in, say, March. It just happened to come at the time in my life when I needed it and he just happened to word it in a way that was easy to grasp and the meaning got into my heart. I hear it over and over in the Baptist church. So much that it doesn't mean much because nobody does it very often. Splits, grudges, they're so constant and there's always something unresolved between members. Perhaps if there was more of a focus on looking backward to see where we've been in the past in how God formed the shape of salvation, we'd have a clearer view of where we are and what we should do in the future.
    What this did for me was show me what happened in the past. I used it to look at my life and what the grace of Jesus did for me, took a deep breath and grabbed God's hand, and let the Holy Spirit lead me to the people I needed to go to, where strength was given to me to carry through which what needed to be done, which cleared me of any wrong-doing, freed me spiritually, and took out obstacles for the future.

Just sayin'!

However, I can't say that extreme caution isn't needed on this topic. Then again, it's needed when one is seeking out a Baptist church too. There are many errors and falsehoods floating about this world. Names don't mean much anymore. You gotta look at the doctrines and beliefs of each one and make sure they follow the scripture and run if they don't!

And while I agree that holding onto the past for any means of salvation is nothing but heresy, I can't agree that remembering the past as relates to the fulfillment of prophecy is anything but beautiful and brings about a deeper understanding of the promises God gave humankind.

7. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Gina,

I am happy for you that you learned some good lessons. However, there is quite a difference in teaching versus observing Old Covenant ordinances.

I have taught the Old Testament and its types, explained them and used them as illustrations in sermons and lessons all my ministry. Hence, there is no lack of learning the lessons found in them.

However, you seem to justify the PRACTICE of them if only you are not FORCED to practice them or if they are not PRACTICED in order to be justified by keeping them.

However, I challenge you to take your New Testament and find any New Covenant basis for observing/practicing them for ANY REASON! Indeed, find any New Covenant Congregation that followed this example?

The book of Hebews places Old Covenant ordinances in an INFERIOR light to New Covenant ordinances and something that JEWISH CHRISTIANS (he is speaking to MESSANIC JEWS) should not return to by their PRACTICE!

Colossians 2:14-16 teaches they have been ABOLISHED as observations/practice for New Covenant Christianity not merely in regard to the motive behind such observations but as ordinances to be observed/practiced altogether! We are told not to come back "under the law" for any reason as we are "dead" to the law and its ordinances. We are not merely "dead" to the law as means of justification but we are "dead" to the Law as ordinances to be administered and to be observed.

New Covenant congregations are forbidden to resurrect Old Covenant observances implement them in their worship or in their PRACTICE as New Covenant congregations.

If you think not, find any example of a New Covenant congregation in the New Testament which observed Old Covenant feasts, ceremonial ordinances, Seventh Day Sabbaths in their worship service!

What you can find is while the Temple was still existing, you can find INDIVIDUAL Jewish (not gentile) Christians attending the temple and voluntarily submitting to ceremonial ordinances for the sake of being able to witness to lost Jews just as you find Paul going to the Jewish synogue's on the Jewish Sabbath in order to gospelize the Jews. You will not find any congregations in the New Testament implementing Old Testament feasts, ordinances, ceremonies into their public worship service as that is forbidden because it is in effect rejecting Christ and the New Covenant by brining them into the New Covenant congregational practice.

#27 Dr. Walter, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2011
  8. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

In the book of Romans we can find words written that say we are not under the law. Its really not easy to understand what this means. Is it the penalty of the law if we are walking in the spirit of the law? Is it speaking of the law of circumcism? After you graduated from law school (the schoolmaster)? Even Peter understood that Pauls writings were hard to understand.

2 PETER 3 [15] And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; [16] As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which THEY THAT ARE UNLEARNED AND UNSTABLE WREST, AS THEY DO ALSO THE OTHER SCRIPTURES, UNTO THEIR OWN DESTRUCTION.

But if you were to go through the whole book of Romans you would have to conclude that we still must keep the law.

ROMANS 2 [12] For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; [13] (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but THE DOERS OF THE LAW SHALL BE JUSTIFIED.

ROMANS 3 [30] Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith. [31] DO WE THEN MAKE VOID THE LAW THROUGH FAITH? GOD FORBID: yea, we establish the law.

Romans 3 is clearly pointing out that we could never be justified by the works of the law. We can only truly be justified by grace through faith. For all have sinned, and come short of keeping the commandments. Filthy rags we are! With all that being said, are we to make void the law? GOD FORBID!

ROMANS 6 [1] What shall we say then? SHALL WE CONTINUE IN SIN, that grace may abound? [2] GOD FORBID. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

ROMANS 6 [10] For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God. [11] Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. [12] LET NOT SIN THEREFORE REIGN IN YOUR MORTAL BODY, THAT YE SHOULD OBEY IT in the lusts thereof. [13] Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

ROMANS 6 [14] For sin shall not have dominion over you: for YE ARE NOT UNDER THE LAW, BUT UNDER GRACE. [15] What then? SHALL WE SIN, because we are not under the law, but under grace? GOD FORBID. [16] Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

All these scriptures out of Romans are telling us the same thing. We as christians are saved by grace but we are still capable of sinning. We are then told we are not to sin. So......according to the bible (The Word of God), what is sin?

1 JOHN 3 [4] Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW

9. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

And it appears their were some people, during the time of Paul accusing Paul of the same things im hearing here.

ACTS 25 [7] And when he was come, the Jews which came down from Jerusalem stood round about, and laid many and grievous complaints against Paul, which they could not prove. [8] While he answered for himself, NEITHER AGAINST THE LAW OF THE JEWS, neither against the temple, nor yet against Caesar, HAVE I OFFENDED ANY THING AT ALL.

He set them straight

10. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

In the WORD you will find a bit of humor. Maybe a play on words? "Many" have come in the name of the Lord claiming His law is void because you can only be saved by the grace of God. And it is very true that thats the only way you can be saved. But the "many" claim that obeying God and keeping His commandments are nothing but dead works. Not true

PSALM 119 [126] It is time for thee, Lord, to work: for they have made void thy law. [127] Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold. [128] Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.

ISAIAH 48 [17] Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I AM THE LORD THY GOD WHICH TEACHETH THEE TO PROFIT, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.[18] O THAT THOU HADST HEARKENED TO MY COMMANDMENTS! then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea:

JER.16 [19] O LORD, my strength, and my fortress, and my refuge in the day of affliction, THE GENTILES shall come unto thee from the ends of the earth, and shall say, Surely our fathers have inherited lies, vanity, and things wherein there is NO PROFIT.

11. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

You don't understand the purpose of the Law and so you interpret it for a purpose it was never intended.

The divine purpose of the Law has not changed and it is still valid for that purpose.

However, since you interpret it for a completely different purpose than God designed it for, then you accuse all who regard and use the Law as God designed it as opposers and violaters of His law when in fact, you are the real violater of His law as you interpret and use it for something the Word of God expressly prohibits - to either maintain or obtain eternal life!

#31 Dr. Walter, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2011
  12. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

MATTHEW 19 [16]And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? [17] And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. [18] He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, [19] Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Lets see good doctor. Should i believe you....or Jesus. Sorry Doc, no contest. I believe Jesus

13. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

The other thing you consistently do is completely disregard the content of a text and/or jerk a text completely out of its immediate and overall context.

Notice first the basis upon which the ruler founded his question! "what good thing shall I do."

Notice the immediate rebuke for approaching eternal life from this perspective or basis:

"Why callest thou me good, for there is NONE GOOD but ONE and that is God." Wouldn't you say that is a rebuke to the basis he is using to obtain eternal life? Unless Christ lied and there is not but "ONE" that is good!

However, in spite of that rebuke for attempting to obtain eternal lfie by doing what is "good" which Christ denied none but ONE can do, Christ went on to give the correct answer for one who still believes as this man did and as YOU DO WRONGLY that one must keep the law in order to be regarded "GOOD" enough to obtain eternal life! Jesus went on to precisely define what is "GOOD" enough - "if thou wilt be PERFECT then...."

You see the law was not designed to obtain eternal life by SINNERS! You have just reaffirmed that you do not interpret the purpose of the law correctly just as this young man did not - you and this young man are TWO PEAS IN A POD.

However, what I have said will be ignored, it will go right over your head because of you have no INTERNAL ability to discern truth and so you will go right on either repeating your nonsense and/or misapplying God's design for the proper use of the law. Your consistent method is jump and run and pit scripture against scripture but make no serious attempt to deal with the text in any kind of exegetical fashion. I am no prophet but that is my prediction. Let's see now if I am right!

#33 Dr. Walter, Sep 24, 2011
  14. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Even a broken clock is right twice a day

ISAIAH 8 [16] Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples.[17] And I WILL WAIT UPON THE LORD, that hideth his face from the house of Jacob, and I will look for him.[18] Behold, I and the children whom the LORD hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the LORD of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion.[19] And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?[20] TO THE LAW AND TO THE TESTIMONY: IF THEY SPEAK NOT ACCORDING TO THIS WORD, IT IS BECAUSE THERE IS NO LIGHT IN THEM.

Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my diciples and wait on the Lord. To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them (explained right after John 3{16}). Didn’t Jesus say that he was the light of the world?

PSALM 78 [1] Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth. [2] I WILL OPEN MY MOUTH IN A PARABLE: I will utter dark sayings of old: [3] Which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us. [4] We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the Lord, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done. [5] For HE ESTABLISHED A TESTIMONY IN JACOB, AND APPOINTED A LAW IN ISRAEL, which he commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children: [6] That the generation to come might know them, even the children which should be born; who should arise and declare them to their children: [7] THAT THEY MIGHT SET THEIR HOPE IN GOD, AND NOT FORGET THE WORKS OF GOD, BUT KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS:

Who opened his mouth in a parable Dr.? Yup, Jesus Christ. And this scripture says he established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, that they might set their hope in God and KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS.

15. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Just to prove to you good Dr that Jesus is the same yesterday today and forever ill post a new testament scripture which says the same thing the 2 old testament scriptures say

REV.12 [16] And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.[17] And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, WHICH KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD, AND HAVE THE TESTIMONY OF JESUS CHRIST.

And the congregation says....Amen

#35 Chowmah, Sep 24, 2011
  16. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

What happened to our discussion about the Rich Young Ruler???? You proved me right!

Here is the problem, I can take any SINGLE scripture you offer and demonstrate your LAW KEEPING interpretation for eternal life is wrong by its content and context and overall context.

However, I cannot deal with a IGNORE THE EVIDENCE and JUMP and PIT scripture against scripture method, BECAUSE you will and you have already used the rich young ruler text AGAIN even though I have proved your use is wrong! Hence, you ride a merry go round that never stops because you do not care and/or are incompetent to deal with the evidence put in your face for every text you abuse.

So, what is the point of discussing anything with somebody that abuses scripture like you do? You don't care if the evidence is against you, you only care in find another text you can make the same lame false accusation to pit against the previous evidence that you can't deal with and so the run, jump and pit merry go round never ends.

You do not have any internal ability to discern or accept truth and so you make no attempt, you just run, jump and pit another text in response to any evidence placed before you that demonstrates YOU ARE WRONG.

#36 Dr. Walter, Sep 24, 2011
  17. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

OK Doc

Tell me again why this scripture doesnt say what it says

MATTHEW 19 [16]And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? [17] And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. [18] He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, [19] Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

I will not argue your opinions. Scriptural (whats written) facts. Tell me why the bolded scripture is not true

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So what you see here is that, in order to have salvation, all one must do is to follow the law. Is that correct?

19. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

If you don't play the run, jump and pit merry-go-round game you play the pick and choose game. It is not about one word or one phrase JERKED out of context means but rather how does that word and/or phrase develops the argument or point being promoted in the verse or context.

This text is very simple to understand if you are willing to accept what it says.

1. Note the basis upon which this person chooses to approach this question to Christ

ANSWER: "what GOOD thing shall I DO"

This is his basis for obtaining eternal life. He assumes that he is able to do something GOOD enough to obtain eternal life. Do you understand the basis he chose to address this question?

2. Note what Christ DID NOT SAY:

ANSWER: He did not say "believe in me and KEEP THE LAW and you shall have eternal life". Nor did he respond by saying "believe in me."

WHY? Because that would imply that believing in Christ is an inherent ability that he could "do" when in fact saving faith is a GIFT of God and is "of grace" (Rom. 4:16) and not an inherent ability within man to perform. It is a "gift" a "fruit" and a work of God.

3. Note what Christ did say:

ANSWER: "Why callest thou me good"

WHY?? Because in his approach to Christ he placed himself on an EQUAL basis with Christ "GOOD master....what GOOD..shal I do".

The term translated "good" is "agathos" and means "inherent goodness" or goodness by nature. He assumed He possessed inherent ability to do good and therefore was inherently as good as Christ by nature. He did not realize who Christ really was and that called for Christ's second response which was a REBUKE:

ANSWER: "There is NONE GOOD but ONE, and that is God"

WHY?? This is what Paul taught in Romans 3:9-11, which was merely what David taught in the Old Testament (Psa. 14:2-3; 54:2-3). Hence, it is the teaching of the Old and New Testaments combined. No man has INHERENT GOODNESS but is a sinner by nature and thus incapable of doing "good" in God's sight.

Hence, this is the reason for the term "but" that begins the next response of Christ to this man's question. He bluntly tells him that He is not good and therefore on the basis of good deeds cannot obtain etenal life "BUT" if he does not believe what Jesus just said, then:

"but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments"

RESPONSE: - "BUT if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments"

WHY? - The Law has been given by God to educate self-righteous people to show them they are inherently evil (Rom. 3:19-21) and are not inherently "good" and therefore cannot be justified as "good" enough by the Law to obtain eternal life. However, if like this man, you choose to ignore Christ's rebuke and believe nevertheless you can do "good" enough to inherit eternal life then prove Christ to be a liar and "KEEP" the law and you will obtain eternal life.

However, what does Christ mean by "keep" the Law so as to attain its justification to obtain eternal life?????

a. It does not mean what the Rich Young Ruler interpreted it to mean:

RESPONSE: "which"

The Young ruler beleived that you could isolate one law from the other and therefore there must be one specific law that Jesus had in mind! He did not understand to fail in "one point" was to fail IN ALL POINTS. He did not understand that one must "keep" the WHOLE LAW in order to be justified by the law for eternal life.

b. It does not mean keep the law characteristically or as good as you can as the response of the Rich Young Ruler to Christ after pointing to the Ten commandments

RESPONSE: "all of these have I kept from my youth up what lack I yet?

He claimed to be comprehensively good by the measure of life and he claimed to be characteristically good throughout that measure of life. His word's "what lack I yet?" is an assertion that I have lived in characteristic obedience to the Law of God, and so, if that is all, then what prevents me of being justiifed by the law for eternal life?

c. It does not mean "keep" characteristically or as best you can or more than you disobey the Law because when the Rich ruler asked "what lack I yet?" Jesus responded:

RESPONSE: "if thou wilt be PERFECT....."

This is why there is NONE GOOD BUT ONE and that is GOD because God's standard of "good" enough is EQUAL to God's goodness. God has NEVER sinned and NEVER repented because of sin because he is PERFECT when it comes to "intrinsic goodness" both in character and in conduct.

This is exactly what you do not understand! In order for the law to grant you eternal life you must be as SINLESS as God - God has NEVER sinned once - that is the standard and "all have come short of" this glory, his intrinsic goodness, holiness of God (Rom. 3:23).

This is exactly why Jesus continues to say that obtaining eternal life by this basis is "IMPOSSIBLE WITH MEN." As impossible as it is for a camel to go through an eye of a sewing needle (as it is possible for a camel to go through a low hanging door).

This is only possible "WITH GOD"!!! Why? Because "there is NONE GOOD but ONE and that is God."

That is exactly why GOD was manifested in human flesh and came and lived a "GOOD" life by the law's standard IN THE PLACE OF SINNERS for whom it is "IMPOSSIBLE" to do so. This is why God was manifested in human flesh and went to the cross to pay for the sins of SINNERS because it is IMPOSSIBLE for sinners to ever pay for their sins as it is an ETERNAL penalty that will require finite humans an eternity in hell paying without end.

So, If you believe Christ is a liar! Meaning, If you do not believe "there is NONE GOOD but ONE and that is God" then prove it by obeying the Law not as good as you possibly can, not characteristically good but as GOOD as God, "if you wilt be PERFECT" then prove you are as GOOD as God as Jesus set forth God as the standard for this basis and God is not merely characteristically good or good enough to outweigh the evil he does but is PERFECT.

You are trading Christ for your own obedienc to the Law! You are calling Christ a liar by claiming you own obedience can be good enough through law keeping to inherit eternal life.

THAT IS WHY JESUS TOLD HIM IF THAT IS HIS BASIS FOR ENTERING ETERNAL LIFE THEN GO AHEAD AND KEEP THE LAW!

#39 Dr. Walter, Sep 24, 2011
  20. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Ofcourse not. You are saved by the grace of God alone. It is a free gift. Scripture points out to whom that free gift is given. Im sure David Koresh (a believer) did not recieve this free gift.