1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tozer- Calvinism tends to be more stable than Arminianism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    as an FYI..... according to Wikipedia (rolls eyes) C&MA Polity is Mixed. Elements of Congregationalist, Presbyterian and non-sacramental Episcopalian polity present

2. mandym

mandym New Member

This post is typical of most posts by reformed folks on this board.

3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke, we’ve had this discussion before, but again, you "really" need to learn the difference between arguing and making a philosophical argument which uses valid principles to draw out the truth. I can only assume that either you do not understand what the above quote is explainig to you or don’t really care to get to the truth and just want to continue to argue your position in unproductive ways. This is Phi 101 stuff, basic logical principles; do yourself and us a favor and take a class and develop some critical thinking skills.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

This was from an article about the workplace, but it seems to fit.

A person who is truly intelligent doesn't need to flaunt it, or ridicule others as less intelligent, it will be obvious.

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I don't know if I would say most, but it is true by some.

6. mandym

mandym New Member

I quit posting like I was in the theo areas because they get eat up with it.

7. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

So many of us have, but I see a hand full going over board, the same ones, many are very nice just disagree. Jim 1999 has always acted as a Christian and even on Dispensationalism with me, which he does not agree with. And there are many others.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhhhhh......we love you tooo. Such a sweet thing to say.......sooooo, er ahhhh "Typical" :p

9. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Don't you just love when others compare themselves with others, and of course, come out more pious and holy?

Didn't a group in the NT do this also?

- Peace

10. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

11. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

everyone has give Luke what he wanted. So lets move on!!!

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, now its turning into a feeding frenzy....I think the point has been noted. :1_grouphug:

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Blessings to you my brother in Christ:love2:

14. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Which is the reason you tell others numerous times and occasions condescendingly "you probably can't grasp this?" :wavey:

Pot? Kettle?

- Peace

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

16. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Think that you MUST differiate to some degree your broad blanket statements though!

Difference between say heretics like a kenneth Copelin/hagin in Charasmatic circles from say DRs Wayne Grudem and Gorden Fee!

Think that Evangelical Arms are well versed in tjheir Theology, even though i think wrong in some major areas

Think ANY believers that has faith in jesus, read/studies/applies the Bible, and is praying and tithing and exercising their Gifts for Lord can and will get used by God!

17. mandym

mandym New Member

Yep there are some for sure.

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I sent this explaination of what I meant to a Brother on BB who kindly approached me with the same concern in the pm.

I hope this helps. I do not intend to backtrack. I mean what I have said. And I can think of no better way to put it. But I can see that it could use clarification. That is the goal of the following. To clarify that I DO mean backwoodsy but that I myself come from the backwoods and many come from the backwoods who are not like the people to whom I am referring. But these people do come LARGELY from the backwoods so I know of no better thing to call them.

Here is my response:

Brother _____________, I always think of you before I make comments like I do concerning things I call "backwoodsy." [or redneck for that matter]

I think of you because I fear you might take it personally and those comments are not meant for you or people like you at all.

You are backwoodsy the same way I am. I was raised in Mississippi. I pastor in the woods in a great little county for hunting and fishing in South Mississippi. I love to run trot lines and pull in monster catfish on the Tombigbee River. I love to hunt and eat squirrel. I love rabbit. I love venison. I ate last night a big plate of peas and cornbread- peas I just picked Monday out of my garden which I planted in which I grew a truck load of peas and butterbeans and squash and cucumbers and tomatoes.

I bet most of these are things you enjoy. This is not what I mean by "backwoodsy". I am referring to a snakehandling type of backwoodsy. A type of rural mentality that you and I do not have (we have rural mentality but I am referring to another type)- the kind that gave rise to Pentecostalism and paved the way for the dominanace of Arminianism in our culture. I am referring to ignorance and arrogance combined that is sometimes found in people who like the same things you and I like and come from the same areas you and I come from. I am contending that these people are the greatest problem the Church faces in our culture.

These types do not tend to come from large cities. Though there is a liberalism that comes from many universities- this TYPE of person that I am referring to is not usually found on campuses of universities. They are found in the woods or in the mountains in the Midwest and Deep South. They are the kinds of people that make a theologically shallow type of Christianity possible and indeed enable it to thrive.

The best way to describe these types to my knowledge is to call them "backwoodsy." There are many folks from the holler like you and I who are thinkers and theologically sound. But it is from this same holler from which MANY, MANY people come who promote a theological ignorance and arrogance and haphazard shallowness that is KILLING Christianity in our nation.

I hope this helps.

God bless!

#38 Luke2427, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
  19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

He was no Calvinist, Bro. Jim.

And you either believe man is totally depraved or not. If not you automatically take up the more Arminian view point.

You either believe in unconditional election or conditional election. There really is no middle ground there.

You either believe in Limited Atonement or Unlimited Atonement.
    There is no middle ground there.

You either believe grace is irresistable or it is resistable- no middle ground there.

You either believe all saints will persever or you believe some will not- no middle ground there.

Many who do not like to call themselves Arminian are BEST described that way.

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yea, there are plenty of folks who HAVE NO SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY who likie to think of themselves as neither.

That is the VERY REASON why they HAVE NO SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY.

But it does not change the fact that they are, or at least lean heavily to one side or the other on each major point of contention.

Do you believe that God unconditionally elected in eternity past based on nothing that he foresaw any man do who would be saved?

No?

Guess what? You are Arminian on that point. You may dislike the title but it does not change the fact that it is what you are MOST LIKE- at least on that point.

And as far as Perseverence of the Saints is concerned- just because you believe eternal security doesn't mean that you are not an Arminian. Arminius HIMSELF was not settled on that one.

I don't have to explain them. They are the historical exception- not the historical rule. But I will tell you something else- though they are avowed Calvinists- they are the ESSENCE- I mean the very ESSENCE of backwoodsy as I define it above.

The historical rule is one that Tozer eloquently laid out for us- that Arminians tend to be the more unstable bunch emotionally. That Westboro is an unstable bunch is without doubt! That they happen to claim to be Calvinists is an exception. But they are NOT mainstream Calvinists either- they are HYPER Calvinists. These types, at least in our country, tend to have the same problem that the Arminians have to which I am referring in the OP. They are usually very poorly educated. But they are STILL the minority of Calvinists.

#40 Luke2427, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.