1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tozer- Calvinism tends to be more stable than Arminianism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No one is talking about who can and can't be used by God.

You have to be more specific if you are going to make a worthwhile point.

We are talking FAR MORE SPECIFICALLY than that.

We are talking about the connection between a type of backwoodsy mentality founded upon a very poor level of theological training and the rise of "non-cal" or Arminianistic beliefs in this culture.

One may argue well that this is non-seqitur. I will not deny it. I agree that this may indeed be hard to reason DEductively. But inductive reasoning is useful too. And just because a logical falacy may be used and the evidence does not NECESSARILY follow- it does not mean that it does NOT follow either.

Example: a man stands with a bloody knife over a freshly killed body. The evidence SEEMS to point to his guilt. But it is a logical fallacy to say that a bloody knife in the hand over a freshly killed body always follows the man holding the knife having killed that body.

But it IS powerful evidence to the POSSIBILITY. Enough of that type of inductive reasoning will lead a jury to convict the man of murder.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Thanks Allen.

This is accurate and helpful.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It is not the fallacy of "appealing to authority."

It is ad homenim which you refer to ( I am saying that the rise of ignorance and Arminianism are related)- and I do not deny nor do I confirm that the OP utilizes that fallacy.

But even if "appeal to authority" was used this does not mean that the OP is wrong.

We DO appeal to theologians for support. Every time we refer to ANYONE for support of our views it is an appeal to authority.

The fallacies do not mean that an argument that utilizes them is not useful- it means that it is not NECESSARILY true.

That is what the OP is. I believe that it is true- but because it is inductive rather than deductive- it is not NECESSARILY true.

That's why we are discussing it.

Clark Pinnock was an Open Theist who was at the very LEAST HETEROdox.

I answered this above.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That is Arminianism- plain and simple. Any educated Arminian will tell you the same. Ask Skandelon. He will tell you that there is NOTHING in that quote to indicate that Tozer was not an Arminian.

You are thinking of Pelagianism which, thank God, Tozer was not a part of.

There is nothing that Jacobus Arminius himself would deny in the above words. Ask Skandelon- he will tell you.

It is a meaningless and pointless label.

NON-ANYTHING is a pointless label. It does not tell us ONE SINGLE THING about what a person is. It only tells us what he is not.

Muslims are NON-CAL.
    Satan worshipers are NON-CAL.

For a label to be worth anything it ought to tell us what someone IS- not just what they are NOT.

The reason so many people tout the title NON-CAL is because they are not anything theologically. They have no systematic theology. Do you deny it? Tell me then- what do you call your theology? Who systematized it?

If you want to argue, as Allan did a while back that having no systematic theology is something to be proud of- fine.

But just admit that you do not have one and this is why you cannot call yourself ANYTHING theologically in the affirmative- you have to label yourself ONLY by what you ARE NOT- because systematically theologically you are nothing.

What you guys need to do is systematize this new hodge podge of doctrines that you eclectically put together from Calvinism and Arminianism etc to suit you- and then call it something.

Until you do you are stuck with a label that does not tell us a single thing that you are- it only says what you are not- which puts you in the same boat with every atheist and Muslim and everyone else who is not Reformed in the whole world.

#44 Luke2427, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
  5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I address this in another post (41 and one earlier- I don't recall which). Feel free to read it and see where you are missing it on this point.

#45 Luke2427, Jul 15, 2011
  6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I do not know about the others mentioned in the OP, but as for the FWBs, I tend to agree with all the "emotionalism" they exhibit. I love them to pieces, and have even preached at one of their churches, but they tend to go off the deep end on occasion. They have "revivals" at the drop of a hat, and they preach that Jesus is an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast. Then in the same sermon, preach that you can just walk away from God, and make shipwreck your faith. This kind of preaching has always puzzled me.

Now, as for the ORBs, yes, we do not require, nor do we evn try to persuade our preachers, to go to a bible college/seminary. Does that make us "emotional"? Well, if you call hearing the Sisters{and Brothers for that matter} shouting, raising their hands, praising our King with the old hymns of Zion, hearing us shout as someone comes to the stand to tell us what God did for them when He saved their soul, then I guess we are pretty emotional. If I read the Word, and never got emotional sometimes, I'd really be worried about myself. I know we aren't saved by our emotions, but when I read of what Jesus did for me, how can I not cry?? He paid a debt He did not owe, because I owed a debt I could not pay. If He had not died for me, I would have been destined to hell, with no chance whatsoever. Now, that is something to get emotional about!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbsup:

i am I AM's!!

Willis

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I think you missed Tozer's point. His point was not that Calvinists are not emotional at all.

No one has ever believed that Calvinists do not weep over the blood of Christ shed for their sins- not just to make a WAY for them to be cleansed but to actually cleanse them!

Calvinists, BTW, are the only ones who can really believe in a substitutionary atonement.

Skandelon knows this.

So when we weep over Calvary, we are not weeping that Jesus MADE A WAY for us to be saved by his blood, but that he is there on the cross ATONING for our sins. When we see him dying we do not see him opening a door but we see him bringing us in- BIG DIFFERENCE!

Tozer's point is that Calvinists tend to not be as wild.

I think this is true.

It was not that Calvinists do not ever shout or weep or whatever.

But that their emotions are more tempered.

8. Siberian

Siberian New Member

You actually employ both fallacies. You call out Arminians for being emotional and unintelligent (ad homenim) and thereby imply that the Arminian view is incorrect. AND you tip your hat to the Calvinist view because holders of that view are smart (appeal to authority). Doubly-fallacious you are (read this sentence with your best Yoda voice).

There are better and worse ways to argue from authority; yours is the latter (sweeping, condescending and based completely on anecdotal, subjective evidence). There is no reason to think that historic Aminianism is in anyway connected with general ignorance or uneducated, emotional clergy or anything of the sort. And I say that as a convinced Calvinist.

Of course, Clark Pinnock ended up as an Open Theist, and theologically he was a moving target all of his career. But he was brilliant, and that was my point. And besides, by now I am sure he has moved from his hyper-aminian viewpoint. :)

#48 Siberian, Jul 15, 2011
  9. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Actually, I'll quote you from a previous post what I "know."

"Isaiah 53:4-5, "Surely our griefs He Himself bore, and our sorrows He carried; yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. 5 But He was pierced through for our transgressions. He was crushed for our iniquities. The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him and by His scourging we are healed."

We see in the above verses in Isaiah that Jesus was prophesied to bear our sorrows, to be smitten of God (which is what is due us, the sinners), and that our chastening fell upon him. Can it be any clearer? What was due to us, because of our sinfulness, is what fell upon Christ. He was our substitution.

2 Cor. 5:21, "He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."
    Rom. 4:25, "He who was delivered up because of our transgressions, and was raised because of our justification."

Clearly, Jesus was a substitution in that he was made sin on our behalf. This is why the Bible says he became sin on our behalf, that he was delivered because of our transgressions, that he bore our griefs, carried our sorrows, was pierced for our transgressions, and was crushed for our iniquities.

Jesus did what we could not. He took our place and bore our sins in his body on the cross (1 Pet. 2:24) and made propitiation for our sins.

Rom. 3:25, "whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed."

1 John 2:2, "and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world."

1 John 4:10, "In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins."
    The word propitiation "properly signifies the removal of wrath by the offering of a gift."

Propitiation properly deals with the wrath of God. The wrath of God is due to the legal requirements of punishing the sinner. Remember, the sinner is someone who has broken the law of God; hence, the legality of punishment, and since Jesus is our propitiation and turns away the lawful wrath of God, we have further evidence that Christ's sacrifice was to avert God's righteous wrath against us, the sinners. Since the law of God must be met and cannot be ignored, it is proper that the law be fulfilled. Jesus is the one who fulfilled the law and never sinned (1 Pet. 2:22). But, he bore our sins in his body on the cross (1 Pet. 2:24) and became sin on our behalf (2 Cor. 5:21) thereby suffering the penalty of sin, which is death."

"I will affirm that atonement is provisional “in Christ”. In other words, Christ’s death made provision for all sin, yet only those who come to be in union with Christ partake of that provision. I believe this view is supported by numerous Scriptures. Below are a few of them:

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us [believers] with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ.” Eph. 1:3

All spiritual blessings are found in Christ. I think this must include (if not be founded on) the benefits of the atonement. We find further evidence of this in Ephesians 1:7:

“In Him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace…”

I think this passage confirms that the benefits of the atonement are provisional “in Christ”.

Look at Colossians 1:13 and 14:

“For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.”

Again we see that the benefits of the atonement are provisional in the “beloved Son”.

So how does one come to be in union with Christ and therefore benefit from the redemption and forgiveness provided in Him?

“In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation- having believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise.” Eph. 1:13

We come to be in union with Christ through faith."

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Great.

So you believe that Jesus paid for the sins of every man upon the cross, right?

You believe that he suffered the wrath of God in full for every sinner who has ever or will ever live- right?

You believe that Jesus was not just making a WAY for all men to be atoned but that he was ACTUALLY atoning all the sins of all the world, right?

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

As I said, I do not deny nor do I confirm that the arguments made are not without error.

I am not saying it is CERTAIN- I am saying- here is the evidence for my proposition.

Logical fallacies only apply when the conclusion is said to be certain.

We can inductively reason utilizing logical fallacies.

That is what a prosecuting attorney does. Evidence that may not NECESSARILY follow- but enough of it applied INductively is sufficient.

I think that is what we have.

Yes there is- I provided it in the OP.

The rise of Arminianism and liberalism and backwoodsy Christianity (as opposed to that which once came from the pulpits of Harvard and Princeton and Brown, etc... educated pastors) coincides with the decline of Calvinism.

That is not proof POSITIVE- but it is certainly acceptable evidence.

PERHAPS it is not sufficient- but it is evidence nonetheless.

Yea, well I wouldn't have quoted him as an authority- which BTW is the logical fallacy of Appeal to Authority.

Be consistent dear brother!

#51 Luke2427, Jul 15, 2011
  12. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

We have Cals/Arms/others here

And I am the resident Amyraldist on BB!

13. Skandelon

Did you read my post, Luke? I quote, "I will affirm that atonement is provisional “in Christ”. In other words, Christ’s death made provision for all sin, yet only those who come to be in union with Christ partake of that provision. I believe this view is supported by numerous Scriptures." (those were quoted in that post)

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes, I did read your post and I think exegetical investigation of those passages is worthwhile in another thread.

I would like you to explain how Jesus COVERED every sin that has ever been committed by any person in history and in the entirety of the future of humanity and how Jesus suffered the wrath of God in their place YET MOST of them will STILL suffer the wrath of God forever BECAUSE OF THEIR SINS.

Let's clarify WHAT you believe and then we can deal with the support you feel you have for your belief.

We must establish claim first THEN warrant.

And please answer this now, too.
    Did God in eternity past PURPOSE the unbelief of those who you say he purposed to go to hell (be His purposing done ever so sadly)?

#54 Luke2427, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2011
  15. Skandelon

Because they aren't suffering for the sins (breaking of the law). They are suffering for their rejection of the truth (unbelief.)

John 3:18 says "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

Heb 3:19:"So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief!"

2 Thess 2:10: "and in every sort of evil that deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved."

ILLUSTRATION: You and I commit a crime and we both owe a fine we cannot afford to pay, so the judge is rightly going to send us to prison. The judge's son gracious pays our fines in full. The judge makes a provision: Luke and Skand, my son has paid your fine in full, so if you admit your crime and thank my son you may go. You choose to do so but in stubborn rebellion I refuse. You go free and I go to prison. Did I go to prison because of the crime and my fine? Not really. Of course I wouldn't have been there in the first place if not for my crime, but the ultimate reason I go to prison and you don't is because I refused to meet the provision of the judge by admitting my crime and thanking his son. Do you understand? I'm not asking if you agree. I just want you to affirm that you really understand the concept of substitutionary and provisional atonement.

Luke, it's the same answer as the other questions you have asked. Yes, God has PERMITTED for a PURPOSE the unbelief of those He has PERMITTED for a PURPOSE to go to hell, though he doesn't take PLEASURE in it. Make sense?

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Isn't unbelief a sin? Isn't a failure to believe God the ROOT of all sin?

Did not the first human sin begin with DOUBT?

Sure it did. And every sin since.

So did Christ die for all sin but the sin of unbelief?

You see, we could move on if you wouldn't change the words up and make your response vague.

When you say "God permitted for a purpose" that is not the same as saying "God PURPOSED."

If you would just say, "Yes, God purposed that many billions would not believe and he purposed to send them to hell forever for their unbelief," we could move forward.

I understand that he perrmitted what he purposed. But you sem to be twisting the order of it.

The permitting occured in TIME. The Purposing occured before there was anything to permit.

So the right way to say it is, "God permitted what God purposed- that men not believe and go to hell."

You either believe that or you don't.

I think you are too smart to NOT believe it.

17. Skandelon

Allow me to quote again from the article that we discussed earlier:

"Unbelief is atoned for, but only “in Christ”. When we are placed in union with Christ by the Holy Spirit, through faith, our former “unbelief” is atoned for just as our other sins are atoned for. If we continue in unbelief, we cannot benefit from the forgiveness that is in Christ alone, and will therefore suffer condemnation. In other words, the moment we believe, our prior unbelief is forgiven, and not before. Since the atonement is provisional in Christ we can both affirm that He died for all and that only believers will benefit from this atonement. 1 Tim. 4:10 states this truth very well:

“For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men [provisional], especially of believers [conditional application].”

My illustration about our fine being paid clearly lays this out. Did you understand the illustration?

VAGUE? You are the one using undefined and nonspecific terms. I have provided words that clearly show the distinction between the differing aspects of God's will. Do you agree with Piper regarding the "two wills of God?" If so, why wouldn't you use terms that clearly distinguish between those?

Then its up to you to define what you mean by it, because if its not what I have stated then you are teaching something contrary to Edwards and the Arminian divines with whom he agrees.

Why would I agree with a statement that hasn't been defined or explained? If it means differently than what I've stated, then I probably don't agree with it.

Can you point me to Edwards or another scholar who explains this concept so I can study it and try to understand what you are talking about?

18. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Well, as resident Amyraldist on BB..

Think God has in jesus death indeed atoned/paid for sins of All, but that in order to meet His requirement to appropiate it by personal faith and have it effectually applied...

man cannot come to God being depraived and spirtually died in sin nature

So God has chosen to elect whom he wills to be enabled to be able to receive Jesus by faith!

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Luke, you are right, a label like non-Calvinist does not say what a person believers, only what they do not fully support which is Calvinism. Perhaps we could agree that Tozer was a non Calvinist, non Arminian Christian. To claim there are only two choices, Cal or Arm is to deny that both views hold some valid positions and some invalid positions. But that is the reality in my opinion.

You claim my views are not systematic, but you do not define your meaning. Again I use words as defined in the dictionary. So a Bible based theology that addresses the same doctrines as Calvinism, that has a unifying principle would be a "systematic theology." Lets call mine the "Christian Minimalist Theology" where I affirm all scripture but avoid adding to it the speculations of past theologians such as Calvin.

Calvinism fails the text of integrity, because it embraces paradoxes such as God predestines everything but is not the author of sin. So it is Calvinism and not CMT that is not systematic as defined in the dictionary.

#59 Van, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2011
  20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now if I were to tell you that you are all twisted in your understanding of predestination & that it doesnt predestine everything ....what would you say?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.