1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Train up a child in the way ....

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by dianetavegia, Sep 15, 2003.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Proverbs 22:6
    Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.

One of the sermons I heard this past Saturday at our fall AWANA conference was on this verse and others. Dr. J. Byron Morgan, Senior Pastor at Mountain View Church in Marieta, Georgia was the speaker.

Bro. Byron said the word "train" in this verse is the same word used in Psalm 11:2 for "BEND".

Psalm 11:2
    For look! The wicked bend their bow, They make ready their arrow on the string, That they may shoot secretly at the upright in heart.

The midwives had a custom of wiping the inside of a newborns mouth with a jelly that would encourage suckling.... increase the desire to nurse... and this word 'train' was used for that custom also.

Bro. Byron said we can 'bend' and 'train' our children by increasing their desire for God's word... He said it comes down to each child's choice of what to do with what they are given. We are not guaranteed their faithfulness to God.

The content of this sermon was " Bad Things DO Happen to Good People" and how to minister to a hurting family within your AWANA family. He likened Job 38:4 to God saying...'Who died and made YOU boss?'

This was an excellent teaching. I'd like to get some thoughts on this: "We are not guaranteed their faithfulness to God."

Diane

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Hebrews 11 teaches of the faith of Moses' parents. It says by faith--they made that ark and by faith they were not afraid of the king's command. It was their clear cut choice as parents. Parents are to move by faith and their faith is to rise above their fear.

Now, you can say that Moses' mom and dad made a clear cut choice. They moved Moses to the brink of the Nile--placed him in that ark--pitched and slimed it--they were choosing to live by faith and not by site.

Then the very next verse starts talking about Moses! Just like Amram and Jocobed made a choice by faith---Moses had to make several choices by faith! He choose affliction with the people of God rather than affiliation with the people of Egypt! He chose reproach over riches! Looking at this--Moses was sending Pharoah a message that went something like this--"Pharoah! My worst day spent serving Jesus is better than my best day serving you!"

But its clear! Moses' parents faith didn't guarantee Moses' faith! Parents make choices based on faith--but when children "come to years" they, too, are faced with choices of their own!!

Now, Moses stood a better chance at succeeding--because his parents succeeded--but that didn't guarantee Moses' would make clear cut choices--but aren't you glad he did!!

Deuteronomy 30: 19 says, "I call heaven and earth to record this day against you. That I this day have set before yoiu life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live."

Your buddy,
    Brother David

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Proverbs 22:6---Intersting verse! The phrase, "The way he should go," literally means, "according to the mouth of his ways".

The way to mold a child is to work with the appetites he has and form them into God honoring attributes. If we do this, then they "Even when he is old he will not depart from it".

Forcing a particular personality or characteristic upon a child will ineveitably cause harm either for the parent who becomes frustrated with the child or on the child who becomes frustrated.

So train up a child in the way he would go...

Rob

[ September 16, 2003, 06:13 AM: Message edited by: Deacon ]

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Amen, Deacon Rob! Amen!
    Blackbird

5. Tim

Tim New Member

I think it's also important to note that proverbs were not meant to be personal promises. They are general rules, observations of the wise man on the way things generally work in this life.

There are no gaurantees when it comes to children, but the wise will use wise childtraining methods and will usually succeed--implanting wisdom in their children.

In Christ,

Tim

6. DCK

DCK New Member

I don't read Hebrew, but I've been told that there is no word for "should" in this verse. The passage, then, could mean that if a parent allows a child to go his own way (willful, unruly, etc.), the child will continue in that behavior as an adult. This statement would connect well with 22:15, "Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him." I don't know if this is the definitive explanation, but it is a possibility.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Too often I have heard parents of wayward children quote this verse and wonder how long wil it take before they come back.

Proverbs are principles not promises.

Judas was with Jesus and he went astray and killed himself.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Correct. Also, we focus on the child in the proverb where the focus is on the parental role to train. That's the teaching there: parents, train your children. They'll be much better off than if you leave them to fend for themselves or if you spend your time being their buddy instead of mom or dad.

9. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

Rev. Billy Sunday, the great evangelist believed that proverbs 22 taught that if you raised your child right, then they will turn out right because God will never let them stray from godly teaching.

Until his son died in an automobile accident due to drunk driving (his son was a heavy drinker and was thought to be a "wife beater.")

He said that he learned a valuable lesson from this, Train up the child in the way he shall go means, to Billy Sunday, that if you instill Godly conviction in them then they will grow into adulthood with that conviction in the back of their minds always. Their life choices are still their own, all men are accountable for themselves, but at least you have given a testimony of conviction to them that they may fall upon.

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I see this as 'instill such a hunger for God's word and the love of Jesus in your child'!

As demanding as it is to work with Cubbie's (ages 3-4) in AWANA... having the little ones climb on my lap to say their 'verse' still thrills my heart.

Diane

11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t see Proverbs 22:6 as promising Christian parents that their children will be among the chosen, that's up to the LORD and His good will. I see the proverbs as practical wisdom from Solomon.

In the book, “Benjamin Franklin, an American Life”, (Simon and Schuster, 2003), Walter Issacson illustrates the principle of raising up a child in the way he should go.

Benjamin Franklin was the youngest son of a youngest son, five generations back. Being the youngest son usually meant that the “family business” was not an available option since smaller towns generally didn’t have the ability to support more than one tradesman of any type. The younger brothers were either sent away from the family as they became older or apprenticed to other professions. The plan for young Benjamin was to enter the ministry (Benjamin was the tenth son of his father Josiah, it would be as a sort of tithe to God). His father could be proud of a son in the ministry.

But plans changed. Josiah may have seen characteristics in Benjamin that indicated that the Puritan clergy would be an inappropriate place for him. As a minister Benjamin may have brought dishonor upon his father but being wise his father changed his plans. “Benjamin was skeptical, puckish, curious, irreverent…. Anecdotes about his youthful intellect and impish nature abound but there are none that show him as pious or faithful.”

After a number of different choices were tried, Josiah eventually had Benjamin enter into apprenticeship in the developing field of printing, allowing Benjamin’s unique personality (his energy, curiosity, skepticism, and inventiveness) to be channeled into a field that was better suited for him.

Rather than forcing the child into paths that were unsuited to his personality, the father wisely placed his son in a position to excel. And Benjamin Franklin did not dishonor his father. …Even when he was old he did not depart from it.

Rob