1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tree of Life

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jun 14, 2008.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I think you're wrong here, ther is plenty of symbolim in the Bible.

Jn 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

So as Moses lifting the serpant was a type of Jesus being hung on a cross? Serpant, the one that was cursed in the garden is being held up as a symbol of Christ future???

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

So true so true...

3. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Regarding Brother Bob's question about animal and eternal life: "So, you believe that animals are going to have bodies of immoratality also."

I think it would be strange to have a new heaven and new earth without animals. I also think those animals will be free from corruption as we will be. I don't think they will be animals that will be redeemed, but they could be.

Romans 8:19 "For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God. 20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, 21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. 23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body."

The "they" in verse 23 refers to the creature in verse 21. In fact all of creation is waiting for the adoption to be completed.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Does it not say the redemption of our bodies. It is self explanatory. We are the creature that was made subject to vanity, but not willingly, but by reason of Him (God) who subjected the same in Hope (Jesus). For the creature itself shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption, unto the glorious liberties of the Children of God. Vanity is "sin", animals don't sin, I don't think.

Men are the Children of God, not animals.

It was not God's will that we sin, but Jesus stood as a slain Lamb before the foundation of the world.

This scripture is talking about the creation of man.

Don't you groan within sometimes to be delivered from a decaying body????

The outward man perishes everyday, but the inward man is renewed day by day. Thank God for the renewal.

Bbob,

#44 Brother Bob, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2008
  5. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Was it possible to be in possession of eternal life apart from partaking of the tree?

Reasoning from your perspective, could Christ have been a type of the Tree of Life? If the tree with bark first gave life and then Christ came along and took over the former duties of a tree, could it not be properly said that Christ was indeed a type of the tree? If not why not?

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It certainly can be type of Christ just as Noah's Ark -- but the Tree and the Ark were also "real".

in Christ,

Bob

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes the tree was a type of Christ as was Noah's Ark.

We do not have eternal life now the way Adam and Eve did (hint watch yourself get older every day).

in Christ,

Bob

8. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Its a tree. A tree that grants life (eternal). I thought that would be pretty simple. God took it away with the garden of eden so that we would not live forever. As far as symbolic. Very likely. The very early Jewish philosophers believed so. Jesus is not a tree. he was hung on one. symbolic for Jesus? I don't think so other then it is given its attributes from Jesus like wisdom. Read Revelations.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Rev 22:14Blessed [are] they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

BBob,

10. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: I never cease to be amazed why some can say things and are not reprimanded nor accused of calling God a liar, and others are accused at almost every turn for saying the same thing. I cannot tell you how many times it has been suggested that I am calling God a liar, or that I make God out to be a liar if I even suggest the possibility of the cessation of eternal life. Why not an outcry DHK, about Thinkinfstuff’s post? Does not the writer suggest the very same notion, that eternal life can be given and then withdrawn? How about little fairness and consistency? Are you going to tell us that eternal life was not withdrawn on the account of the fall or that they still had eternal life although separated by guardian angels from the Tree of Life?

11. Outsider

Outsider New Member

I fail to see how eternal life was withdrawn. It didn't go anywhere. Man, because of the fall was driven from the ability to eat of the tree. Adam could have eaten from the tree in the beginning. If he had, he would have lived forever. Adam never had eternal life, but if he would have eaten from that tree, he would have.

The tree of life resembles Christ. Christ is available today. Those that try to earn eternal life any other way are cut off from Him. Those that are born again have Christ. Are kept by Christ. They have eaten from the tree and have eternal life.

12. trustitl

trustitl New Member

I have always thought Adam and Eve ate from the Tree of Life on a routine basis. It seems that some of you think they never ate from it. Why do you assume that?

The reason I think they did is because God told them they could eat of any tree except the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. It seems unreasonable to me to think they would not have eaten from the Tree of Life. I think they needed to keep eating it to hold of the corruption that finally brought about their death.

Thoughts?

13. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God does not lie:
    People have been dying ever since. Are you talking about spiritual eternal life?
    do you believe in a physical resurection? I think you can't be a christian and not believe in a physical resurection. And as far as God withdrawing eternal life he did in Adams body after sin. Adam physically died and he will be raised again. Ok you can challenge this though I'm suprised you didn't say anything about the last part about symbolism. Oh well.

14. Cutter

Cutter New Member

That is an interesting thought, one I have never thought of, BTW.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If they had of eat of the Tree of Life, when they sinned, it would not of brought death. For to eat of the Tree of Life was to live forever, according to scripture.

BBob,

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That seems reasonable -- it was in the Garden and they were not commanded to avoid it AND it had to be one of the "more interesting" trees since it is "the Tree of LIFE".

However it would seem that God argues in Gen 3 that continued access to the Tree of Life after the fall would result in eternal life for lost sinners.

I think you are right.

in Christ,

Bob

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

least they eat of the Tree of Life and live forever.

I still say "In the Midst" has a meaning, not being discussed here. All the trees came from the ground, but it does not say these two trees in the Midst, came from the ground.

BBob,

18. trustitl

trustitl New Member

The "living forever" that Adam and Eve would have experienced is not the "eternal life" that is ours in Christ. Adam would have lived forever in a body of flesh were he to continue eating of the Tree of Life. Therefore, since flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom of God, he would never have experienced the glorification of his body.

God did not intend for Adam to live forever in a body of flesh. When Adam gained the knowledge of good and evil, God deemed it time to have him experience the corruption of his flesh and live his life walking by faith outside of the Garden of Eden. No longer was he to be in the Garden with God, free from the curses that we are all very aware of. Now, Adam would need to seek God challenged by the weakness of his flesh yet endowed with a knowledge of good and evil. This is the perfect test for man and provides the best opportunity for God to be glorified by this being created in His image. Also, it provided the best way for Satan to be defeated.

I think there is something to the rebellion of the angels and Satan as to why God created man and put him in the world.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Scripture says that death entered because of sin - so how does that fit into the idea that Adam and Eve had to eat from the Tree of Life to live forever? I don't think that death was a part of creation until after the fall. Thoughts?

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is the sum total that we know from scripture about the historic use of the Tree of Life -

And of course pre-FAll of man we have ..

The next time we find the Tree of Life is in Rev 2.

Based on this information alone - we have to accept that the Tree was real -- that it's effect was to enable mankind to "live forever" as along as mankind had access to it.

in Christ,

Bob