1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truthiness

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Daisy, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Daisy

Daisy New Member

2. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

I don"t think it will take hold with me in my vocabulary....I just call it half-lies and half truths they are very much related to deception.

I read the article and came away saying to myself
    "is that the best they could do?" pretty sad state of affairs when you have to name crazy behaviour after Tom Cruise.

and that's the whole truthiness and nothing but the truthiness so help me....never mind.

3. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Just as well as I don't think you got it.
    Which is not "truthiness". Truthiness is not deliberate deception as much as disregarding facts, simply not caring about them, in favor of what you'd like to be true.

I think it describes much of political discourse these days.

Where do you think new words and expressions ought to come from? What new word debuting in 2005 do you think will make it into the lexicon?

4. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Oh, I got it alright it is a lame sounding word I am not disputing their definition and I said "related" not actual deception.Imho it will not take hold because it sounds wimpish and too many syllables and I am saying the political discourse today is filled with half-lies and half-truths and running with the talking points and putting out your message to your mega noise machine to propagate it.

"Where do you think new words and expressions ought to come from? What new word debuting in 2005 do you think will make it into the lexicon? "

Excellent question , they should come from linguist who have better taste and an ear for eloquence...truthiness and facty do not blend well and come off being wimpish and awkward imho.
    Not to mention sound wimpish and weak ..I said sound, they may have a definition you might want to use but in the marketplace of what sounds good
    these fail again imho ..who knows they may take off ..perhaps the mtv'ers will use them.

Next years words should come from anything the late Barbara Jordan said or perhaps to please the Pop culture...'SouthPark Republican'

my new one to honor Al Gore "EarthBalancers"
    since global warming is fixing to roar into our lives in a big way and will not go away ..it will
    call for brave people to solve it and not ignore it.

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

SOURCE

Appeal to emotion. (link)
    Fallacies of Relevance.

Fallacies in this category have in common the characteristic that they all make use of premises which are logically irrelevant to the final conclusion.

However, this is not usually noticed because these same premises are often relevant for psychological reasons, thus making the conclusion seem to follow.

In a valid argument, the connection between the conclusion and the premises is that of reason and logic. In an invalid argument committing a fallacy of relevance, the connection is emotional because the arguer is making an appeal to emotions rather than to reason.

When evaluating arguments, it is vital to distinguish between reasons which are logical and those which simply have emotional appeal.

SOURCE

[ January 30, 2006, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: poncho ]