1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Two IFB greats ushered into heaven

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by thjplgvp, Jan 5, 2016.

1. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

I was sorry to read today of the passing of Dr. A.V. Henderson and Dr. Eli Harju. Dr. Henderson preached my graduation service in 1983 and Dr. Harju was my professor for personal evangelism if I remember correctly. They were true soldiers of the cross. Salute!!

On December 28, 2015, Reverend Dr. Arvis Vernon Henderson greeted his Savior face to face.
    A. V. Henderson was born on September 18, 1919, in Anson in Jones County, Texas. He was 96 years old at his passing.

He gave his life to the Lord as a very young man and served in the ministry and teaching of God’s word for more than 75 years. He touched the lives of tens of thousands through his faithful preaching and teaching. He traveled the world to share the gospel of Jesus Christ. His counsel on theology and humanity was sought by many. He founded Baptist Bible College East and later was president of Baptist Bible College of Springfield, Missouri.

Eli Mathew Harju, 95, passed away December 31, 2015, in his home in Springfield, MO. Eli, the youngest of 12 children, was born November 2, 1920, in Rudyard, MI, to Finnish immigrants Isaac and Sofia Harju.

A life of full time ministry began as a college professor at Baptist Bible College in Springfield, MO and at Pacific Coast Baptist Bible College in San Dimas, CA. He was awarded 3 honorary doctorate degrees; served as Dean of Education; and later was Assistant to the President at BBC. During this time he also served as the pastor of Crane Bible Baptist Church in Crane, MO, Olivet Baptist Church in Lynwood, CA, and Bethany Baptist Church in Whittier, CA. He had the opportunity to teach and preach on many mission fields throughout the world.