1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Two ways to look at Romans 1:18-21 to show Paul was no Calvinist

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jun 4, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

I do understand the point that you are asking here...
    falls under Justice of God...

God saw that an entire race would be in active rebellion against His law and Himself by choosing NOT to love Him, nor stop sinning...

God makes a "free offer" through the Gospel of the Cross to have men repent and believe. but knowing that we cannot in ourselves reply, he decided to "step in" and make the way to save those He had chosen to save in Christ jesus!

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...but there was no free offer for the non elect to repent, as they were not atoned for and the Gospel message was not for them.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

Exactly.. the scripture states "repent and believe the gospel".
    If the gospel or good news does not include them, it can not be offered to them FOR them. The good news in essence is that sin can no longer separate us from God as salvation has been obtained. Thus it can not be rejected as it has nothing to do either with or for them. As such their rejection OF the good news would have no bearing of the condemnation at all especially since you can only reject what is offered to you, and if offered, it has been procured.

Yet scripture states it is due to their rejection of the truth (this truth that saved or condemns) is the very reason God sends them a strong delusion to believe the lie. So that they might all be condemned/damned who did not receive the truth ... what truth? the truth that .. could save them and that if rejected, condemned them. Only the gospel message is said to do this.

It goes back to another post of mine in discussing this same topic (which he hasn't answered either)

#23 Allan, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011
  4. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Yet, the Calvinistic dogma teaches he can't know enough to willingly respond to that revelation, thus giving them the perfect excuse for not doing so.
    Why? Because they clearly saw and understood something they were born unable to acknowledge or accept as truth?

Yet, your dogma teaches that it doesn't have the ability to do that due to the fallen totally depraved nature of man, so what is Paul's point?

How do they suppress that which they don't have the ability to accept or understand?

5. Skandelon

The strongest points of one's argument are not typically reflected in the portion that his opponents address, but in the portions ignored.

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The free offer of the gospel is proclaimed to all men.Who is intended to be saved by the gospel [God's elect} is God's buisness.

To try and say that ungodly persons who remain in rebellion are some how off the hook because they were not elected, is presumption and folly.

They do not know ,and you do not know who is elected. Election is a part of revealed truth. I can tell a sinner that God has elected a multitude of sinners IN Christ.....and at a point in time ,they will come to Jesus savingly.
    Then tell them if they have not savingly come as of yet, they are fully responsible to do so.
    We are not told that we are to read the Lambs book of life and see who is in it first...then offer only to those we see in it.

No one would be saved unless elected by God. So you can go ahead and try and convince goats all day to believe as a sheep does with a defective message...to no avail.

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners in Christ. Anyone who remains outside of the Son,is outside of God's love, reconciliation, justifcation, atonement , or anything else that comes with the Kingdom.

You can speculate all you want....but only sheep will enter in.

7. Skandelon

Scripture never indicates the message is only intended for the elect, but clearly teaches it is intended for the whole world, "every creature." There is no good reason to presume, as you have done, that this powerful appeal sent from God Himself is somehow insufficient to lead a lost man to be reconciled.

I assume your term "off the hook" is equal to Paul's term "without excuse" in Romans 1, right? If so, you must look at the reason they are not "off the hook." Why are these people "without excuse."

It is because they "knew God," yet Calvinism says they can't know God.

It is because they "clearly saw," yet Calvinism says they are born blind.

It is because they "understood," yet Calvinism says they are born without the ability to understand.

Calvinism takes all the reasons these people are not "off the hook" away and as a result gives a perfect excuse for every man who is finally condemned: "I was born unable to see, understand and thus know God and wasn't elected so as to be given that ability, that is my excuse." A perfect excuse by any rational an unbiased observer.

Sure we do. God elected to send the message of reconciliation first the Jews and then to the Gentiles. As Paul explained, he grafted in the Gentiles after the Jews were cut off. It has been God's purpose from the beginning to provide redemption for all mankind.

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

That has never been God's purpose unless you understand all mankind to be the children of God scattered worldwide. The biblical God saves all He intends to save out of mankind...He never purposed to save all.

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Sorry Brother, but God can not be active in those He chose from/before birth for salvation, and be passive in those who will die and go to hell. If He elected those for heaven, He has preordained their final destination. If He leaves the rest to their "own devices", and never sent Jesus to die for them, never reveal Himself to them, how is He not active in their final destination? So, God is not active in the choosing, and passive in the "passing over."

10. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

So you saying that this is impossible for God to do?

Its His call as to how ANY of us can even get saved...

never said that Jesus did not die for all, I do hold that is true, BUT

God also knows that NONE of us can even accept him by faith left to our own selves, so he intervened by providing means to save SOME.....

What verses support notion that God will indeed save All?

11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

What I mean is in regards to predestination(double). Y'all say that God chooses(elects) the elect, but leave the non-elect in their reprobation, and that He never did predestine their outcome. I just showed you the flaw(s) in this. If you hold to predestination, you have to hold to it being double.....no getting around this. If He predestines/predetermines the elect's outcome by choosing them for salvation, He predestines/predetermines the non-elect's outcome by not choosing them, bur rather, leaving them in their condemnation/reprobation.

12. allinall

allinall New Member

The depravity of man is a matter of ability, desire. Your argument doesn't apply. If every man has the Gospel manifest in them (as you are implying), why proclaim it? Paul's not speaking of the good news, rather, he's speaking of a knowledge that is "manifest in" everyone, so all are accountable and none are without excuse.

Listen to his words.

1:19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them.

2:14 for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, 15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them).

Without excuse.

Dave

#32 allinall, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2011
  13. allinall

allinall New Member

Liberal debating tactics a so obvious.

Dave

#33 allinall, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2011
  14. Skandelon

I think you misunderstood. I'm not arguing that Paul is speaking of the gospel in this text. I'm saying that Paul is speaking of God's revelation in general. And if mankind can clearly see and understand the eternal nature and divine attributes of God through basic general revelation, how much more so could they clearly see and understand his very clear special revelation where he speaks in their very own language telling them the truth which can set them free? And if their clearly seeing and understanding is what makes them 'without excuse' then who are we to suggest they are born unable to see or understand God's revelation and thus make a perfect excuse for why people might choose to reject Christ?

15. Skandelon

I've been called a lot of things but never a "liberal." :laugh:

16. allinall

allinall New Member

Again, depravity means that man cannot obey God, nor does he desire to do so. The general knowledge that Paul was speaking of is enough to make man accountable to God....so that they are without excuse. I believe to go beyond that is to go beyond the text.

Dave

2 Tim. 3:7 always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

#36 allinall, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2011
  17. Skandelon

Agreed, but why? Why are they "without excuse?" Because they can "clearly see and understand" the revelation, something Total Depravity says the really can't do unless first regenerated (effectually called).

18. allinall

allinall New Member

They are without excuse because they know enough to be without excuse. What must one know to be without excuse? You and I agree that Paul is speaking of a general knowledge manifested in all people. To go beyond that is to go beyond the text.

Dave

19. Skandelon

Right, what does "enough" mean? They know enough to be responsible...meaning "able to respond"...Response-able.

I agree, but who is going beyond the text by suggesting that men are born unable to know God, understand his revelations and respond to them? You or me?