1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

U.S. delays domestic satellite spying program

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Joe, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Joe

Joe New Member

U.S. delays domestic satellite spying program

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. government has delayed the start of a program that would use spy-satellite images for domestic purposes including counterterrorism efforts, a congressman critical of the effort said on Monday.
    ADVERTISEMENT

The federal Homeland Security Department told U.S. Rep. Bennie Thompson that the program would not be launched until it had addressed civil-liberties issues he raised in August. Thompson, a Mississippi Democrat, heads the House of Representatives Homeland Security Committee.

The department had planned to launch what was called the National Applications Office on Monday, the start of the new fiscal year, Thompson said. "The moratorium on NAO implementation is only a first step," he said in a statement.

He said lawmakers would work with the department to ensure that the office follows "rigorous privacy and civil liberties safeguards that are necessary to keep faith with both the Constitution and the American people."

Charles Allen, the Homeland Security Department's assistant secretary for intelligence and analysis, said in a letter to Thompson the department was working to answer his questions and the program would protect U.S. privacy and civil liberties.

The United States has used spy satellite images for purposes such as monitoring U.S. natural disasters. But the new office would also use the images for domestic security and law enforcement, and it would share the information with state and local authorities, the Homeland Security Department has said.

Congress has authorized funding for the new office. But Thompson and other leading members of the Homeland Security Committee called for a moratorium, saying the program lacked legal safeguards to protect privacy and civil liberties.

The department said the program is legal and subject to long-standing procedures aimed at protecting Americans' rights.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071001/sc_nm/security_satellite_dc;_ylt=ApWkrIKwNBuHrr6btmo48PLq188F

2. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If congress approves, why is HSC dragging their heals? I know many of us think it's intrusive, but how so? If I'm a law abiding citizen, what harm do I face. If I'm a bad guy or terrorist, I'd be against it like many on here.

Looks like it could potentially aid local law enforcement.

3. Joe

Joe New Member

I don't know why they are dragging their heals, but we are all law abiding citizens yet could be arrested and face jail time. I know because it happened to me for injesting cough syrup. I decided not to hire an attorney, but do research on my own regarding many things and be a guest columnist of what I found. I faxed it off and guess what, the charges were no longer. This wasn't in our County, but our local police dept attempted to charge a few teenagers for the same thing but our local paper ran a story and the charges were dropped. Also a few teens had to go to the bathroom so they went next to their car after a game, far away from school yet on school grounds and were to be arrested for indecent exposure and must register as a sex offender.
    The Cop stated there was no one else around. When our paper ran this story, the public outcry was abundant so the charges were dropped. I could go on and on. Most situations are upright, the Cops are too, but there is no reason to subject yourself to someone else' authority because it is your feeling you are doing nothing wrong. They may not feel the same.
    These are just two scinereos.

Imho, being watched by eyes in the sky isn't a good feeling.

Yeah, it seems to be a wonderful tool for law enforcement.

#3 Joe, Oct 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2007