1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unam Sanctam--only Catholics go to Heaven

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by church mouse guy, Feb 13, 2007.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On November 18, 1302, Pope Boniface VIII issued a papal bull entitled "Unam Sanctam" (apparently Latin for the One Holy, meaning the Roman Catholic Church). As far as I know this bull has never been rescinded or contradicted.

New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia defines a bull as, "...For practical purposes a bull may be conveniently defined to be "an Apostolic letter with a leaden seal," to which one may add that in its superscription the pope invariably takes the title of episcopus, servus servorum Dei...."

Here is what Pope Boniface VIII says that Roman Catholicism teaches and I think that this teaching still stands:

"Now, therefore, we declare, say, determine and pronounce that for every human creature it is necessary for salvation to be subject to the authority of the Roman pontiff" (Porro subesse Romano Pontifici omni humanae creaturae declaramus, dicimus, definimus, et pronuntiamus omnino esse de necessitate salutis).

Source: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15126a.htm

:type:

cmg

2. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Catholics are no longer told to believe this. Catholicism officially considers any Trinitarian Christian to be a Christian.

Yes, it is a change in the "Tradition," but Catholic apologists would never accept that such is the case.

My thinking is that since Catholicism no longer entails this belief, just be glad that this error is over with and let the past remain in the past.

3. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where is the text of the official act that overthrows the papal bull of Pope Boniface VIII--Unam Sanctam. Or has this ugly fact just been glossed over for the American audience? When did the Roman Catholic Church issue a decree that non-Catholics go to Heaven?

4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Correct me if I am wrong, but i always understood the pope to be appointed by God Himself through the clergy vote and that once appointed the pope that he has the authority to speak for God in these matters and what he says can never be wrong. Is this not true?

God Bless!

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

I thought the pope was infallable where doctrines are concerned. That would mean this is offical RCC teachings, or RCC is ignoring and violating it's own teachings.
    Unless of course they admit the pope is not infallable, ever.

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Southern Baptists used to accept slavery as a right, protected and sanctioned by God.

Using the "well, if they said it then they believe it now" theory...

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

According to the RCC he is infallible, as he is the vicar (substitute) of Christ.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Was salvery at one point a "right" in America? Can you supply one Scripture that shows slavery being sin? It is now against the law, but so was alcohol at one point during the prohibition.

9. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With all due respect I fail to see how the 700 years-old official teaching of the Roman Catholic Church that all non-Catholics go to hell has anything to do with the Southern Baptist Church. Nor do I see any official act by the Roman Catholic Church to overthrow the work of Pope Boniface VIII in condemning all non-Catholics to hell. I think that the Protestant teaching on the matter is that all who have not accepted the Biblical Jesus as Lord and Saviour go to hell. In other words, not only do you not have to be a Roman Catholic to go to Heaven, you don't even have to be a Southern Baptist. I think that there are saved people in Eastern Orthodox denominations, in Protestant denominations and in the Roman Catholic Church. I myself classify Pentecostalism as Protestant.

However, I think that the Roman Catholic Church is totally wrong in their official doctrine that only Roman Catholics go to Heaven and everyone else goes to hell--or as the Catholic doctrine states:

"Now, therefore, we declare, say, determine and pronounce that for every human creature it is necessary for salvation to be subject to the authority of the Roman pontiff" (Porro subesse Romano Pontifici omni humanae creaturae declaramus, dicimus, definimus, et pronuntiamus omnino esse de necessitate salutis).

This is according to the Roman Catholic source NewAdvent.org

10. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Of course you both would miss the point, wouldn't you?

11. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

CMG: The Link you posted details the power struggle between King Phillip of France and Boniface; Unam Sanctam was written in such a way as to discourage King Phillip from trying to dominate and take over the Church. Remember a Church that is 2,000 years old had to deal with many crises and some had to use strong language to address those issues.

I’ve heard that Vatican II clarified Boniface statement in a way that makes sense in today’s world. Yes the Catholic Church’s position is that there is no salvation outside the Church. However, technically anyone from another denomination who has been baptized is an implicit member of the Catholic Church since there is only one Baptism that Jesus gave and Catholics believe that He gave this baptism to the one Church. So anyone who is baptized with water in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit is sharing in the baptism that Jesus gave the Church. I believe it to be historically proven that denominations today are a spilt from the One True Church, so they are still participating in that Baptism.

Also, Unam Sanctum did not say people must be “subjects of the Pope”, only that they are “subject to the Roman Pontiff”. This is perhaps a distinction that allows Bishops to have autonomy, which is what the Orthodox Church wants. This Bishops are not “his subjects” as if he’s a king, only Christ alone is King, but they are subject to the Pontiff, as like Board Members are subject to the Chairman of the Board.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Only Catholics go to Heaven?
    Catholics go to Heaven???
    I thought purgatory was the place to be! :type:

13. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Roman Catholic has changed their stance from time to time so that they can be acceptable to the people. In the past when they have unlimited, uncontrolled power, they said " there is no salvation outside Roman Catholic". That's how they carried out the Inquisition by torturing and killing the people.
    Now they can hardly push it forward and they need to be prepared for another Inquisition, the Great Tribulation, and they are now gearing up thru the Strategic Retreat.

Let's see the famous statement on this by Infallible Pope Pius 9 who is also famous for Papal Infallibility.

Pope Pius IX, Singulari Quadem, 1854

"Not without sorrow we have learned that another error, no less destructive, has taken possession of some parts of the Catholic world, and had taken up its abode in the souls of many Catholics who think that one should have good hope of eternal salvation of all those who have never lived in the true Church of Christ. Therefore they are wont to ask very often what will be the lot and condition after death of those who have not submitted in any way to the Catholic faith, and by bringing forward most vain reasons, they make a response favorable to their false opinion. For, it must be held by faith that outside the Apostolic Roman Church , no one can be saved; that this is the only ark of salvation; that he who shall not have entered therein will perish in the flood. truths of this sort should be deeply fixed in the minds of the faithful, lest they be corrupted by false doctrines, whose object is to foster an indifference toward religion, which we see spreading widely and growing strong for the destruction of souls."

http://www.geocities.com/orthopapism/eens_papal.html

You can find plenty of articles on this here:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=No...church&fr=yfp-t-429&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

#13 Eliyahu, Feb 13, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Now isnt this thread a kick in the pants, after all the threads I have argued against people who say that all Catholics are lost.

15. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Robber at the Cross went to Paradise without knowing the Catholic church, did he know it?

Pope Eugene IV, Council of Florence, (1445)

Council of Florence, Bull Cantate Domino, 1441: "The most Holy Roman Catholic Church firmly believes, professes, and preaches that none of those existing outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans, but also Jews, heretics and schismatics, can have a share in life eternal; but that they will go into the eternal fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels, unless before death they are joined with Her; and that so important is the unity of this ecclesiastical body that only those remaining within this unity can receive an eternal recompense for their fasts, their almsgivings, their other works of Christian piety and the duties of a Christian soldier. No one, let his almsgiving be as great as it may, no one, even if he pour out his blood for the name of Christ, can be saved, unless he remain within the bosom and the unity of the Catholic Church."

Council of Trent, (1563)
    Pope Gregory XIII, (1572-1585)

"No one can be saved outside this true Catholic faith." (Profession of Faith, D. 1085, D. 1000

Pope Benedict XIV, (1740-1758)

"No one can be saved without the faith of the Catholic Church." (Nuper Ad Nos, D. 1473)

Pope Leo XII, (1823-1829)

Pope Leo XII (A.D. 1823 - 1829): "We profess that there is no salvation outside the Church. ...For the Church is the pillar and ground of the truth. With reference to those words Augustine says: `If any man be outside the Church he will be excluded from the number of sons, and will not have God for Father since he has not the Church for mother.'" (Encyclical, Ubi Primum)

Pope Pius VIII, (1829-1830)

"It will be especially fitting to remember this firm dogma of our religion: that outside the true Catholic faith no one can be saved." (cf. Recollections of the Last Four Popes, Cardinal Nicholas Wiseman, London: 1858)

Pope Gregory XVI, (1831-1846)

Pope Gregory XVI (A.D. 1831 - 1846): "It is not possible to worship God truly except in Her; all who are outside Her will not be saved." (Encyclical, Summo Jugiter)

Pope Pius IX (A.D. 1846 - 1878)

"It must be held by faith that outside the Apostolic Roman Church, no one can be saved; that this is the only ark of salvation; that he who shall not have entered therein will perish in the flood." (Denzinger 1647

http://www.geocities.com/orthopapism/eens_papal.html

16. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Eli, did you even read what Agnus posted?

17. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tragic Pizza, I cannot make your point for you and I do not know what your point is. The official teaching of the Roman Catholic Church since the early 14th century is that all non-Catholics go to hell because salvation requires that one be subject to the pope.
    Angus Dei, I know that American Catholics like to say that the Roman Catholic Church no longer teaches that only Catholics go to Heaven but I have no documentation of that. Cardinal Manning and Pope Pius IX said that a papal bull was infallible. So you tell me where Catholicism has ever stopped condemning all non-Catholics to hell. I could not find any such act in NewAdvent.org. As far as I know there is no such act rescinding Pope Boniface VIII's papal bull. I realize that the bull claims that I must be subject to the Roman pontiff but that would mean that I would have to become a Roman Catholic, and I refuse so you can't claim invincible stupidity in my case, can you?

18. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Catholic themselves insist that they all go to the Purgatory, not to the Heaven, which may be quite honest! Then the concept of Salvation by Roman Catholic means going to Purgatory! How long will they have to spend there? Maybe indefinitely because they rely on the Almsgiving and the Prayers by their relatives left behind, and we know that nothing can satisfy God except what Jesus has done at the Cross, and that no human works can satisfy God.

19. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said Strategic Retreat. She may be playing Word game, which is usual to Catholics.
    In many ways, Catholic change their stance, by expanding the meaning of the word, etc.

The pope said he respect Muslims! Catholic has developed many ways for Word Play.

#19 Eliyahu, Feb 13, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  20. donnA

donnA Active Member

ahh, but the difference being the RCC claims the pope is infallable in spiritual matters of doctrines.
    SBC makes no such claim.
    Slavery is another topic, start a new thread if you ant to discuss it.