1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unborn = Unliving

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Aaron, May 5, 2012.

1. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question then becomes why is that the case?

2. billwald

billwald New Member

>No, but my friend's father was a young man, in his 60s with still MANY more years to his life. He would have been dead within the year in England but instead he had 8 more years - enough years to see his grandchildren born - before he had an accident and was killed. The government insurance didn't deem him worthy enough of those 7 extra years.

Say again? So the government is not obligated to keep people alive but if a person can afford the right kind of private insurance he may stay alive? Or the taxpayers in the US paid his medical bills?

>No, It is not the function nor purpose of either of those two entities to do this...the responsibility lies with US....It lies with those in the Church to help others in the Church. We can delegate authority to Government....you cannot delegate the responsibility.

The Lutheran Church has an official insurance carrier, Yes? Is this how medical service should be delivered in the US? Or should each congregation have a fund to pay the member's hospital bills? If so, would the service be funded by passing the plate, flat fee, or tithe, or graduated tax?

Does anyone think church membership would become more restrictive if congregations paid medical bills?

(Medical service plans probably started with European Ghetto Jews' burial societies.)

3. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:applause::thumbs:BINGO!!!:thumbs::applause:

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He chose to pay the bills himself. He worked out a payment plan with the doctors/hospitals and was treated here on his own dollar. He couldn't pay in the UK because they would not treat him even if he paid on his own.

5. mandym

mandym New Member

We are headed for a Logan's Run mentality.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

>>The problem is not that the church will not help, it's that the cost of medical treatment has risen to the point that without insurance, a person is pretty much out of luck if they are not wealthy.

>The question then becomes why is that the case?

Why medical costs have outrun church offerings? Because this is the age of very expensive high tech diagnostic machines and lab tests. If we were satisfied with 1950's medical care - and capped law suits - most medical expenses would be pocket change.

7. targus

targus New Member

Perhaps you missed it when they were writing but not read the Obama health care bill...

The government isn't going to be paying for expensive high tech diagnostic machines and lab tests.

Healt care procedures will be allocated based on a person's age and relative value to society with the disable and elderly at the bottom of the priority list.

At age 71 you better not be counting on much more than an occassional asprin from Obama care.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Look, I have worked in the medical field for 11+ years and I see the gouging it's doing to their clients. Where I work, if a person is admitted with chest pains, or shortness of air/breath, we have a standing order to do a urianalysis on them. Now, what does this have to do with chest pains and/or shortness of air/breath?

I have seen them order urines on patients who have came to the ER with facial trauma(fighting), someone getting kicked in the ribs, etc. The medical field is the blame, along with insurance agencies. As long as they pay for these unwarranted tests, hospitals, dr's offices, out patient clinics, etc will order them.

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bolded mine

Can it be inferred here that you are OK with the legal system as it now stands with the plethora of "ambulance chasers" determining the insurance costs of the medical profession???????

I would guess, that being the union guy you are, that this "redistrubition of wealth" is fine with you - am I wrong???

10. billwald

billwald New Member

NO, not satisfied. For openers, the losing side in all civil suits should be required to pay all court costs and reasonable legal fees of the winning side. I think the US and Canada are the only countries where the losing side does not pay all court costs.

11. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

absolutely!!! minus this caveat...it is not (strictly) the fault of
    or even
    they are merely trying to protect themselves from ceaseless litigation by checking for every conceivable contingency....If , in a free-market economy, we were allowed to pay medical experts what they deserve to test for, and diagnose and treat towards their best educated guess.....Then the medical professionals would NOT DO urinalysis tests on someone who came in after a fight. But the fear of litigation requires that if I come in with a busted set of knuckles after having beaten my wife and 3-year-old daughter for fun, that if (after stitching me) they fail to diagnose my Lupus..then I have a very generous lawsuit ahead of me.