1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Understanding John 15

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, May 25, 2008.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Steaver, it still sounds like you're putting forward two ways of being 'in Christ', one for Jews and one for Christians. Please clarify you view further.

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You may understand more clearly if you answer a couple of questions for yourself.

How would you say one becomes "in Christ"?

God Bless! :thumbs:

3. Matt Black

Site Supporter

By His grace, through an active and living faith in Him.

4. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Regeneration by the Spirit is not needed?

5. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Yes, but for me that's implicit in the term 'grace'.

6. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Steaver, I realise there is a strong possibility that I have misunderstood you. Are you saying that throughout this discourse, whenever Jesus says "you", He means "you Israelites" and not "you, my disiples?" If so, what of John 16.2, still part of the same discourse?

"They will put you out of the synagogues; yes, the time is coming that whoever kills you will think that he offers God service."

Who would put those to whom He spoke out of synagues? Israelites, surely, who like Paul before his conversion, would think that by doing such things to Christians they were rendering good service to God.

7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It can only be implicit post ressurrection since rebirth by the Holy Ghost was not implemented prior.

Jhn 7:38He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

Jhn 7:39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet [given]; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

The disciples received the Holy Spirit rebirth after Jesus' ressurrection;

Jhn 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on [them], and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'll get back to you brother. No time left this morning!

God Bless! :wavey:

9. Matt Black

Site Supporter

I agree with you there which is why I disagree with you when you state in the OP that the Johannine passages you quote apply to the Jews....oh, and for the reasons David gave above as well.

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Don't know where you would see that in my post. Jesus means "you, my disciples" when He says "you" and is speaking of Israel as branches in Christ when He says each "branch" will be cut off which produces no fruit.

#30 steaver, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2008
  11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus is speaking about Israel as being branches in Christ, the "true vine". Those who produce no fruit are cut off. Those who produce fruit are pruned and cared for.

You could apply this to all peoples as well if you see mankind as having it's very being "in God" as God's offspring. Paul states it like this;

Act 17:28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

12. Matt Black

Site Supporter

You're conflating similar metaphors in two very different passages.

#32 Matt Black, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2008
  13. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thanks Steaver. I think it was this sentence that had me confused:
    Jesus declares that it is He who is the "true vine". It is He who raised Israel up and all that are Israelites are "in Christ".

Your words in Post 30 seem to show that you did not mean that all who can trace their physical ancestry to Abraham ("Israel after the flesh") are "in Christ".

Sorry for misunderstanding!

14. KSeeker

KSeeker New Member

I've noticed that many of you have referenced Romans chapter 11 in this discussion. What do you do with Rom 11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob? This verse, to me, changes the meaning of the whole "branch metaphor". Also, Paul is addressing Gentiles in Romans. He is using Israel as an example for these Roman Christians.
    Just a few thoughts....Probably more confusing than helpful.

15. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You have conflated the "in Me" of John 15 (pre-regeneration) with the "in Christ" of the post ressurrection? I believe my conflating is very probable while the conflating of John 15's "in me" with the post ressurrection regeneration of "in Christ" is simply not expressed in the passage.

If you apply John 15 to born of God Christians who have produced no fruit or have stopped producing fruit, then #1 you go against scriptures that proclaims no fruit equals no true conversion and #2 you must say that some born of God children will be destroyed in hell. What then is God's purpose for regeneration by the Holy Ghost?

16. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "in Christ" is a post ressurrection doctrine. One becomes NT teaching "in Christ" through regeneration by the Holy Ghost.

I am saying that Jesus' teaching about the "true vine" and "branches" is not about the "born of God" "in Christ" becoming lost if they do not produce fruit. This teaching would contradict a whole host of scriptures concerning just who it is who is truly a born of God believer, but rather it is about the Israelites being branches of the "true vine" which is Jesus Christ. Israel is refered to as a vine in the OT. Jesus comes and says that it is He who is the true vine and men are the branches "in Him". We know that all of mankind has it's very life sustained in Christ. Not the "in Christ" teaching of regeneration, but rather the "in Him" of existing.

The disciples were well on their way to receiving the seal of the Holy Ghost at the giving of this doctrine by Jesus. To remain in Him they would need to continue on in believing in Him which, btw, produces fruit. One cannot believe Jesus and produce no fruit. One can SAY they believe Jesus and produce no fruit, but not the former. True belief produces fruit.

Mat 13:23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth [it]; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Changes the "branch metaphor" from what to what for you?

18. Matt Black

Site Supporter

You cannot be 'in Christ' without regeneration. Christ's words to His Apostles were prophetic, speaking forward to the time after His death and resurrection, and in particular to when His words in these verses would be related, initially to the Johannine congregations and then, through becoming part of the Scriptures, to all believers. I do indeed apply John 15 to Christians, for the simple reason that one cannot be in Christ without regeneration and one cannot remain in Christ without, as Cranmer would put it, a 'true and lively faith' as opposed to a dead faith without fruit or works (James 2:12-26). You ask why God regenerates? He regenerates to salvation but it is possible for us to reject that and walk away from Him. OSAS is unknown to Scripture or Tradition and is a post-Reformation doctrine of men; the Church during its formative years and beyond did not espouse it.

19. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The way I understand it then is that Salvation starts with belief and is maintained by works?

20. Matt Black

Site Supporter

No. Salvation starts with Christ and His grace, continues with that and finishes with that. Both faith and works are fruits of Him and His grace.