1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

United Baptist Associations

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by convicted1, May 1, 2007.

1. Sis. Sarah

Sis. Sarah New Member

Can't split apples and oranges?

I have been thinking about what both of you have written Bros. David and Mike. And I can't say the Church split because of unbelief because those who have not believed, whether in the first coming of Christ or the second, are just not part of the Church. So this is not the way to say it. Hmm...I mean those who view the Kingdom as a natural, earthly kingdom vs. those who believe it Spiritually yet that Christ reigns over our flesh...I just haven't had the time to talk to the one Elder I know would have been at the association split in West Union but I hope to see him again some day. So in all your years of experience, would you both say that by and large the United, Regular and Primitives have generally regected this doctrine? I have always thought all baptist denominations have but it is very prevalent around here now I would say. I am just surprised that fellowship with a place that teaches this would be acceptable because it is to me more than a difference in custom. I just worry about the children that I know are begged and pushed into being baptized in water at such a place. Do you think it is more dangerous than them not even going anywhere to a real church than to be taken in by this doctrine? It hurts me that the United name would be on such a place but I have learned from my own experience that even while I was in some customary practices from my new birth that God was leading and guiding me through it all. Do you think these children know they are not saved, or can they be so deceived as to believe they are? This worries me more than churches splitting over customs. Well, just more of my thoughts in weariness tonight....God help us and pray for our children always. Some days I am so tired. Good Evening,

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

You know, when I first started this thread, I never once thought it would go so far away from the topic that it would "land" on the MK theology. Not that I dislike it, because this needs to be addressed. I was in my mid-20's before I was exposed to the MK theology, and I thought it sounded far-fetched to me. Now, 10-11 years later, I am that much more opposed to it. A spiritual God, Son and Holy Ghost will "reign" over a natural kingdom(earth)?? Doesn't make sense to me. Jesus said the Kingdom is within you(us), the believers. Some want to say that's a "bad translation", which seems to me it's their way of making their theology work. I believe that when Jesus comes in the cloud, that marks the end of the world....we will go to heaven, and the unbelievers will be cast into the lake of fire.

I don't know of any ORBs who believe in the MK, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few that don't say it. There are none in the Sardis, as far as I know. This would cause a division faster than anything I know of, IMHO. I wouldn't want to hear it preached, that's for sure. I didn't know so many baptists ascribed to this theology until I got on here. It's like women preachers; I always thought that they were strictly of the pentecostal persusion. I have seen churches on TV that have baptist names and have women preachers. But that is a totally different subject. Take care and may God bless!!

Willis

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I just found out today that Old Paint Union dissolved into Paint Union this year, making it one association(Paint Union). I heard that some may letter up with Tri-State Zion association. I also found out today(Sept 30th) that Blaine Union has 3 churches. I thought they totally dissolved that association? Does anyone know what churches are still in Blaine Union? Where are they located? A member of Antioch ORB, formerly of United Baptist told me about Blaine Union. They(Antioch) lettered up with us (Sardis assoc of ORBs) this last September. They came to Turkey Creek Church today and we had a SHOUTING meeting today, let me tell you!!

I used to go Tri-State Zion all the time, so the UBs have a special place in my heart. At one time I knew that Blaine Union, Tri-State Zion, Paint Union, Iron Hill, and Union Bethlehem corresponded at one time. If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know!!

4. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

From what I was told through my brother, Old Paint Union is still in existence. It was another splinter of Paint Union that joined back up. He talked to the moderator of Iron Hill and was told that they still correspond with Old Paint Union and Tri-State Zion.

David

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Bro David,

As far as Iron Hill goes, to the best of my knowledge, they still don't correspond with Tri-State Zion...unless they lettered up with them this last september...which I did not hear about how things went, good or bad at Tri-State's association meeting. There is an "Old" Tri-State Zion association that has a couple churches that broke off from Tri-State a few years back. This may be the one that the moderator was speaking about.

The last I knew, Tri-State Zion, Union Bethlehem, Paint Union, and Old Paint were the only ones that corresponded. This was from the 2005 TSZ minutes. But I may be wrong....they could have came back together, TSZ and Iron Hill. I pray that they did.

Bro David, I was told from a member of Middlefork church, in TSZ, that Old Paint Union only had 4 churches left, and that one or two of those would probably letter up with them. The others would go back into PU. You probably know WAY more about the UB's than I do, because you are a member. I am going just by memory. Like I said, what I just typed could be wrong, but it's the last thing I knew....but changes can be made and I know nothing about it.

Willis

6. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

I do know that there were at one time: Paint Union, Old Paint Union #1, Old Paint Union #2, Original Old Paint Union, and United. Original is now with either Blaine Union or Iron Hill, and one of the Old Paints went back to Paint Union. The other Old Paint still corresponds with Iron Hill.

The Tri-State Zion must be the Old Tri-State Zion that corresponds with Iron Hill. There was also a problem a couple years back that I'm still trying to figure out.

David

7. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

I just looked at my 2004 minute of Iron Hill (which I believe is after some of their problems) and it lists them corresponding with Old Tri-State Zion and Old Paint Union.

I know I was told of two Old Paint Unions, but I never got a minute book of the other.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother David,

Does Old Tri-State Zion still only have two churches, or have more lettered up? The last I knew, they only had two. They split from TSZ some years back, I don't know if it had to do with taking in divorced people, or cutting hair and pant wearing, but you know that the Uniteds will split over the least little thing. TSZ has ten churches after disolving Mt. Olive in November 2006. I hate to see churches and associations split, but when the flesh gets in the way, nothing but bad will come of it.

Willis

9. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

Bro Willis,

I don't know about the TSZ Assocs. I have some old minute books of them but I haven't been able to get anything more about them. I agree that some of the Uniteds there seem to have a problem with agreeing on every little jot and tittle even though it may be an issue of preference rather than scripture. It's fleshly, alright. Sad but true. I hope to get more information on them and see what the latest is.

David

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Bro David,

First of all, I haven't heard from you in a while, so I pray that all is well. I found out about 2-3 weeks ago, that the four churches in Old Paint Union, two are supposed to go into TSZ, and the other two are going into Paint Union. Bro Gregg Lewis, he is in Indian Bottom ORB, but spent close to twenty years, or more, in Old Paint told me this. There is Old Hood that is somewhere in between Paintsville and Blaine, Ky and one other church are supposed to go into TSZ. The two churches in Ohio are supposed to go into PU. I was told first, they would letter up with PU, then I was told later they were going into Union Bethlehem. But Bro Gregg's dad is still in a church that was in OPU when they dissolved that association last year. Bro Gregg went to OPU's friday association meeting, so this is why I know what I know. BTW, who does Iron Hill correspond with now? Like I stated earlier, Iron Hill was in corrsepondence with TSZ, UB, PU, Blaine Union a few years ago, but after they split a few years ago, they more or less stayed to themselves,but I know nothing about them now. How many churches are in IH?
    Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Willis

11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Another United Baptist association formed

Bro David,

I know this thread has been dormant for a little over two years now, but last year, Tri-State Zion and Union Bethlehem each had a split. Five churches from TSZ and two from UB left to form a new assoc. called Zion association. I know that the Wolf Creek church, Little Friendship and three others left TSZ and 18 Mud Fork church and Bethel left UB. I can't remember the names of the other three that left TSZ. The was a MAJOR RUCKUS over a preacher in TSZ and he left. He eventually came back and the church took him back in and put him back in as moderator of that church. Well, the TSZ moderator came and all broke loose. It was so bad that it even affected UB. I have heard both "sides" of the story, and the ones who told me it was blowed way out of proportion I'd believe quicker than the others. So, IOW, the split was unnecessary,IMHO.

I don't know if Zion has any correspodence with anyone outside of their seven churches, but I heard that they may seek to letter up with Ironhill...don't know if this has happened yet. Some of TSZ allows women to cut their hair, but if the ones who left do, I have a strong feeling they(Ironhill) would reject their letter. Oh, another church came to mind.....New Home, which is about a 1 1/2 miles from me left TSZ in the splt, too. Take care.

Willis

12. treed

treed New Member

Glad to see this thread being revived. I have enjoyed reading about these associations as the association I belong to according to the united baptist website was once considered a united baptist association

13. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

Bro Willis,

Sorry to hear about the shake up in TSZ. I guess I'll have to wait for the dust to settle to figure out where everything stands. I need to get back to updating the website. I feel terrible for neglecting it so much.

David

14. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for keeping us informed. I don't post here much anymore, but still try to check in once in awhile.

15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Re: United Baptists Associations

You're quite welcome, Bro. RLVaughn! I just hate it when associations split, though. When the "Burger King" mentality takes over "have it your way", things run amuck. One of these days, nature will cease, and we will be in the prescense and Glory of God for all eternity. It will be worth it all in the end! Glory to His name!!

i am I ams!!

Willis

16. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Treed,

A friend of mine who lives in Richmond, Ky, told me he went to a church or two in Georgia a couple years ago that are in the Jasper Association. He said he really enjoyed them. The church he belongs to, Lexington UB, in Richmond, was in Paint Union association until the late 1990's. It is now independent, and eventhough he misses being in an association, he said their church "prosperity" was at its best since they left Paint Union. Another dear friend of mine went there a week or two ago on a saturday night, and said they were on FIRE!! The Brother from Richmond told me that there were people shouting that night he had never heard shout before! I love to hear about meetings like those!

i am I ams!!

Willis

17. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to correspond with a man who was in the Paint Union and had visited Jasper and Pleasant Valley Associations in Georgia. I think he said one of the main differences (then, circa 1985) was the Georgia churches used a piano and the Paint Union churches did not. Is this correct of Paint Union.

I have visited the Pleasant Valley Association, but not Jasper.

18. treed

treed New Member

I recently talked to a brother who is a member of a church within the Jasper Baptist Association and he mentioned that he too had visited Lexington United Baptist Church. He also said that other brethren from Jasper and the Pleasant Valley associations had visited Lexington also. He spoke well of the experience.

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Bro RL Vaughn,

This would be correct. I have never went to a church in Paint Union, but I have been to the sister associations, and none of them ever used a pie-anner(piano...LOL). They(P. U.) correspond with Tri-State Zion and Union Bethlehem(if they haven't dissolved since the split last year). I work part-time in Paintsville, and there is a church(Barnetts Creek UB) which used to be in Paint Union, and they have a piano(don't know how much they use it). Paint Union and the other UB associations that I mentioned are a lot like the ORBs in that they sing their songs acapella. I don't know if the UBs still line their songs, though. I hope this helps!!

i am I ams!!

Willis

20. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Re: United Baptists Associations

Bro David,

I recently talked with an elderly woman who belongs to Favored UB church that is in OLD Tri-State Zion assoc. She told me they had two churches, Favored and either Little Ellen, or Ethel, and between the two, they had about 60 members. They have correspondence with Ironhill and Old Paint Union. When I told her I thought O.P.U. dissolved, she was quick to say,"That was the other side". So I guess O.P.U has a lot of "fragmented" assocs. out there? I didn't know her, but we know a lot of the same people, and our talk was very nice. I have a fondness for those old UB Sisters!! If they love you, it's the purest and sweetest love, but if you've been divorced/remarried, watch out! They don't want anything to do with you then. And that's a shame. But like I said, I really did enjoy our talk. I pray that God blesses me to go to Favored and/or Little Ellen/Ethel. OTSZ's association meeting is this coming third friday, saturday, and sunday(September), according to what she told me. I wonder if the newly formed Zion assoc(five from TSZ and 2 from Union Bethlehem) will seek their correspondence? Take care and I hope this helps! With love!!

i am I am's!!

Willis