1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unlimited Atonement

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Jan 19, 2011.

1. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

What do you say about the phrase "sufficient for all, efficient for the elect"? In other words, the blood of Christ is sufficient for any individual, but it's only efficient to the believers.

#21 jbh28, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011
  2. mets65

mets65 New Member

Does that mean by that logic that some people can't be saved?

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Isa 53:6 ALL we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned EVERY ONE to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us ALL.

Have you gone astray? Then your sins were laid on Jesus.

The Calvinists are always happy to quote those OT scriptures Paul quoted in Romans 2:9-18 as pertaining to 100% of mankind being sinners that never do good, none that seeketh after God etc...

But when the scriptures say Jesus took all men's sins upon himself they want to limit it.

These guys make up the rules as they go along, you cannot hold a meaningful discussion with them.

#23 Winman, Jan 19, 2011
  4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Its saying NONE will be saved unless CHRIST saves them. They will only go on in their sin. Any that come to Christ will be saved. Christ draws believers to himself.

Everybody believes in limited atonement. Is it limited at the cross, or is it limited to the moment of salvation when the person believes?

Calvinist hold that the cross gives a pure picture of the love and power of Gods love. The atonement was a love act by Christ to save sinners, and that love act worked. Salvation is all a work of Christ.

Others believe that the atonement didn't save anyone on the cross itself, but if man wants to be save, he can allow God to apply the blood to his sins. Salvation here is God has made a way....it is up to man. Man has the say so.

5. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I think I would be okay with that phrase assuming you define the terms in the way I understand them. I believe even Calvinistic scholars (like Sproul) agree with this kind of phrase, but I would have to take issue with their view of what is considered "sufficient." I don't see how a Calvinist could claim that the atonement is in any manner "sufficient" for a non-elect individual to be saved.

6. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

That may not be the best passage for you to quote for your side. Read it.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

They also seem to argue that the atonement did not take place if you do not believe. This is like saying the holocaust did not happen because you do not believe it.

Jesus died for your sins whether you believe it or not. Reality does not consist of what you believe.

8. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

context, context, context. who is the "we" and "us"

9. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

If that is all he said then their would have been no disagreement, but as I clearly explained he presented a false dichotomy by suggesting that Christians must either believe in Universalism or Calvinist's view of Limited Atonement. I presented the Orthodox and biblically supported alternative held to by non-Calvinistic believers. God has provided atonement for all mankind conditioned upon their faith...a picture of love for the whole world (Jn 3:16) rather than a relatively small hand picked segment of the world.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That is it in the proverbial orthodox nutshell.

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

And who was Paul speaking to in Romans? JEWS!

Read Acts 28:16-31.

12. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

So Jesus only died for the Jews? Is that your answer to the "we" and "us" that the iniquity was laid on Christ?

13. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

The atonement of Christ was universal and still is today...the gift of eternal life is also universal. Jesus Christ is the Saviour of ALL men. (1 Timothy 4:10). All means all.

The invitation to salvation is offered to ALL:

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

This doesn't mean ALL will be saved (Universalism) or that Christ's atonement is limited (Calvinism) to a "chosen" few. It means that Christ died for all, the atonement was sufficient for all, but not all will trust Christ and come to the knowledge of the Truth and be saved. (1 Timothy 2:4)

#33 Fred's Wife, Jan 19, 2011
  14. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Respectfully, I believe that Jesus' death, burial and resurrection paid the price for every sin ever committed. I believe people are condemned because of unbelief.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not what he said, was it? If anything it shows that all of the jews (believing and unbelieving alike) have been atoned for.

16. RAdam

RAdam New Member

You are using it to illustrate general atonement. Problem is, it only was given to one people, God's covenant people. Hmm, I wonder what that pictures.

The OT atonement didn't cover anyone. No sins were put away under that system. It was a picture.

17. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Really? How do you explain this verse, then?

Romans 11:13 "For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office."

Paul, in Romans, is writing to Jews and Gentiles.

18. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I had asked a question of who the "us" and the "we" were and that was the only group mentioned. In other words, he didn't answer my question. The passage was used to say that the iniquity of "all" was put on Christ. But it says "us all." So I asked who the "us" and "we" were in the passage.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly. In the same way the OT atonement was made for believer and unbeliever alike, so did Christ's.

20. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

This is part of why the sides have disagreements. There are differences of more than just "for whom did Christ die." I believe people go to hell because their sin. Unbelief is a sin. If it was already paid for, then we are still in the same situation. People go to hell for sin. Yes, they have rejected Jesus Christ, but that can only be considered a secondary cause. It's like my power bill. I have a power bill to pay because I received electricity, not because I refused to let my friend pay it for me.