1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unpaid pastors?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Ben W, Mar 4, 2005.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. You even fixed my spelling error.

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Post has been moved to the appropriate thread.

This thread is about the history of the practice, not whether it is correct.

Thanks,

rsr

[ November 01, 2005, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: rsr ]

3. TennisNE1

TennisNE1 Member

4. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Speaking of "Faithway Baptists", several years ago (late 1980's) I assisted a Faithway Baptist preacher conduct the funeral service of a mutual friend. My friend had often cited the fact that his Faithway preacher friend did not receive a salary. He lived by faith, depending on the designated offerings from his church members. In fact, his church had three offering boxes: one for missions, one for the church, and one for the pastor. Whatever was in the box for the pastor was his for the week. I had never met the Faithway preacher before the funeral. I expected to see a bedraggled, poor, beggarly preacher. What a surprise I received when he drove up in a new Lincoln Towncar. He was wearing a fine tailored suit and carrying one of those genuine leather Bibles...not to mention the alligator shoes and belt. At the time the church I pastored was paying me a $350 weekly salary. I wore a $69.00 ill-fitted suit from Sears. My shoes were from Walmart. My Bible was one of those "almost-paperback" kind. Briefly, I thought..."My, I think I need to live by faith, too!" [​IMG]

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    dh, you might be interested in this as a frame of reference. According to the minutes, in 1988 the annual pastoral support of pastors in the Interstate and Foreign (Faithway) Association ranged from $660 in a seven member church in Louisiana to $31908 in a 300 member church in Mississippi.

6. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I am an ordained minister in a volunteer capacity at my church, but the senior pastor is paid.

7. Keith M

Keith M New Member

I was raised Soiuthern Baptist, attended a Nazarene church for a while, and now attend a Freewill Baptist church. All of these churches paid their pastors.