1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unspoken Prayers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Jan 25, 2008.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

You mean you can't pray in faith "God please bless (whoever) in whatever trial they are going through and may your will be done in their life."???

I guess I'm a terrible sinner because I silently ask God to bless (or pray for) people I pass on the street and I have no idea what is going on in their lives...

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

ACtually, I do this to, being led by God to do it. I will not assess that I ama sinner for doing this, especially since God lays it on my heart to do so.

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

FreeatLast,

what leads you to believe that 'understanding' equals 'faith'?

at least it seems to me from reading some of your posts that you are saying one cannot have faith unless one understands.....how much of it do you have to understand then? And aren't you placing an awful lot of power (for lack of a better word) on the pray-er rather than placing it on the One to Whom we pray?

What if I *think* I have a tumor, so I pray to God asking Him to heal me but it turns out it's not a tumor? it's something totally different - because I am not praying in full understanding of the truth does that mean God is hindered in answering according to His will?

I can come to God 'in faith' without knowing any of the details of that person's case. I often will word my prayer along the lines of 'work in this person's life', 'help them with their situation', 'please let them know you are near' - I don't need to instruct God in how He ought to solve anything for someone else. God will do what He wills - my faith comes in knowing that God's will is best no matter what the answer. I believe this is the true understanding of the passage you keep citing in this thread. We are to come to God in faith - faith that God will do what is best, faith to accept the answer we receive, even when we don't like it, and the faith to believe that even if we don't know the answer God does know it....and God has everything under control.

4. DonnaMartinez

DonnaMartinez New Member

When I ask for unspoken prayers, it is always in regards to my husband/marriage. There are things that simply do not need aired that need prayer. What better way to pray than for Gods will to be done in that situation?? I am 100% ok with that. I do not feel as a wife, it is respectful to my husband to go into details about his sins 1. while he isnt there, but 2. in front of a crowd of people who do not know him. Asking for an unspoken prayer request is the safest way to let people know there is a request, but it would not be appropriate to share it with people. Either God is all knowing or he isnt. If I ask for unspoken he knows what is in my heart and why I am asking. He would also know if you prayed what it would be about. Therefore it is not empty. I think God is God enough to keep track.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

It is very unfortunate hat there are people like yourself. You do like the religious leaders during the time of Jesus. I never said I wanted to kill homosexuals.

(Edited to remove personal attack. Please read below.)

Please abide by the rules you agreed to when you joined. Calling someone a liar is not allowed. Everyone has their opinion and it is just that....an opinion. They are free to express theirs just as you are free to express yours.

#65 freeatlast, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2008
  6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You are absolutely correct. After reading all the views on this subject, I agree that some things are best unspoken. I apologize if I have offended anyone. I pray that God will keep me teachable and I admit I haved learned some things in this thread. I will view unspoken prayer requests with respect and continue to pray for anyone who asks for it. :)

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Like I said unspoken prayer request are sin., They violate ever example of prayer. The idea that we can approach God with for something and not know what we are asking for is silly. If a situation is so personal that it cannot be told then pray in private. God will hear that prayer, but not unspoken prayer requests. Praying "God's will be done" is not praying in faith and violates every example of prayer.
    Unspoken prayer requests are sin and result un unanswered prayers.

8. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thank you for clarifying that. It makes much more sense now. (The thread title seemed to suggest that unspoken prayers were sinful.) Personally, I have never encountered unspoken prayer requests.

9. DonnaMartinez

DonnaMartinez New Member

I go back to my original point that God knows what you are praying for. I believe when you pray God knows what the situation is. He *IS* God afterall. I still have no idea where you get the idea that God doesnt hear unspoken requests, and especially how praying Gods will be done is not praying in faith. I pray Gods will be done because I dont know the perfect outcome to this situation. I am not going to tell God how to solve it or what to do. Therefore I am praying Gods will be done. Until I see a scripture verse stating that praying that way is wrong then I am sorry I just dont believe your point. If praying for Gods will is wrong, explain this verse. 1 John 5:14 - And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us

Im just speechless that you can say praying for Gods will isnt faith. Isnt faiths definition basically "a strong belief"? If I pray Gods will I believe God knows what is best, God knows the answer and I trust him to take care of it. Im sorry, I am just really really stunned that you can say "asking for his will is sin". Where is your scripture to back that up? Im sorry but you saying it is just isnt enough.

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Then why pray at all if you just rest on the fact that God already knows? The issue is that an unspoken prayer request violates every example of prayer in the bible. Jesus was asked how to pray and He gave the example and there is no mention of praying for what you do not know. God expects us to treat Him as we would be treated and not tempt Him. We would not let our children come to us and say just give me what I want without them stating what they seek. God is not different. The fact that He knows every problem does not justify unspoken prayer requests. They violate the intent of prayer and are sin.

About praying God's will. First praying IN God's will is done by faith. However praying a prayer and saying let they will be done for most people if a lack of faith. Jesus was the only One who ever prayed like that and He only did it one time. If we pray within the same parameters as He did and say "Not my will but yours be done" then it would be correct praying. Keep in mind that Jesus knew the father's will and was asking to change it. However after several attempts he finally said not My will but Yours be done. So again if we know God's will for something and are trying to change His mind, which is not unacceptable, and after several attempts we say not my will but your will be done we would be praying correctly because we are saying I now surrender to your will. But to pray and end it with they will be done is not biblical praying. It is showing a lack of faith for what you just asked and to ask nothing and state it is even worse and sin.
    There is little wonder why today that the Lord seldom answers our prayers as we pray them. We are praying a-miss. We are like Israel and certainly under the same rebuke that they fell to.
    But have walked after the imagination of their own heart, and after Baalim, which their fathers taught them:

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool: but whoso walketh wisely, he shall be delivered.

#70 freeatlast, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2008
  11. I Am Blessed 24

Yes! Jesus told us how to pray...

Our Father, who art in heaven,
    hallowed be thy name.
    Thy Kingdom come,
    thy will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven
    Give us this day our daily bread.
    And forgive us our trespasses,
    as we forgive those who trespass against us.
    And lead us not into temptation,
    but deliver us from evil.
    For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory. for ever and ever. Amen

Did He have a lack of faith too?

It would be nicer if you stated in your posts, "in my opinion" such and such is sin, instead of stating it as a fact.

Because, after all, that is what it is...your opinion...and not everyone agrees with you.

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

(Post deleted because of personal attack.)

#72 freeatlast, Jan 28, 2008
  13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You have misrepresented scripture! That passage does not end with "thy will be done. It is an exact prayer. It says "Thy will be done on earth as in heaven."That shows us how to pray. however to pray a prayer and not know what you asked for and end it with "thy will be done" is sin.

14. I Am Blessed 24

You have been told not to call anyone a liar and to abide by the rules.

You chose to ignore the first warning. This will be your last warning.

If you continue, you will be banned by the Adminitrative Council.

I am not asking you this time. I am telling you.

#74 I Am Blessed 24, Jan 28, 2008
  15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You can bann me if you like but I will not be lied about and remain silent. You have not done your job by allowing the lie to remain. The person lied and that makes them a liar. If me speaking the truth causes me to be banned then so be it.

16. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who made you the authority on sin?

17. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mt 6:8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him. (KJV)

According to Jesus, there is no such thing as an unspoken prayer request. God already knows what we need even before we ask.

As we pray for our family members, Missionaries, preacher friends, etc, we don't know their specific needs many times. We simply ask God to meet their needs. It is the same when a church members asks the congregation to pray for them in a "unspoken" area.

18. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

This is part of what freeatlast wrote in a thread called "What they stand for", which is found here and is what Magnetic Poles linked to earlier in this thread.

freeatlast, how is it that you say the above, and then say this?

Does this mean that you have no problem if somebody else wants to kill homosexuals?

Are you complaining that the so-called "lie" that has been spoken is that you haven't actually wrote the words "I want to kill homosexuals"? Because you don't have to write the exact words for your meaning to be clear. From what I read, you would have no problem if homosexuals were killed for being homosexual.

19. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

This whole post just seems like an attempt to cause problems.

Its such a strange thing to pick on.

20. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not expected to remain silent; you are expected to abide by the User Agreement and Posting Rules. If you feel like you have been misrepresented, simply post the truth to refute what you feel is a falsehood.

Allow your position to discredit your adversary instead of allowing your disposition to give credence to his claims.

Moderators are not here to help you win a debate. We are here to enforce the rules of the board.