1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

US church defiant despite condemnation of Koran burning

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jedi Knight, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbell

rbell Active Member

Wait a minute...I thought they were "peace-loving..."

Aw, ignore me. I'm just pot-stirring right now... :D :D

2. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Despite the Koran burning threat the "spiritual leader" Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf of this building project for the mosque at ground zero now says that if the mosque is moved it will provoke radical Muslims to do violence. Seems like blackmail no matter what! This the new world order of things? America suppose to just surrender one ground zero at a time or face the wrath of the radical Muslims?

#42 Jedi Knight, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2010
  3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Maybe we should consult the French. They know how to surrender in these situations.

4. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

The FBi met with him to discuss security issues pertaining to the goofball's Koran burning.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :D

I consider fundamentalist Islam to be a scourge upon humanity. Moderate and liberal Muslims seem to be peaceable enough, but the conservatives/fundamentalists are out of control.

6. FR7 Baptist

I agree. Obviously I want all Muslims to convert to Christianity, but I think that education and economic development in Muslim nations could reduce the threat from and further marginalize radical Islam.

7. FR7 Baptist

The mosque isn't at Ground Zero. It's two blocks away. I really don't understand why people are so worked up about the mosque. It doesn't concern me in the least; it's a non-issue to me. I honestly can't fathom why some family members of 9/11 victims are worked up over this. I wouldn't be if I were in that position.

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're kidding, right? I couldn't tell because you didn't put the little smiley face after your post.

9. FR7 Baptist

No, I'm serious.

10. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"How dare people say that Islam isn't a peace-loving religion - let's kill them!"

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Really - is that why they have outlawed the wearing of Muslim veils in their schools?

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Saying that 'the Muslims' have carried out the terrorist activities is no more accurate than saying 'the Christians' burn the Koran.

13. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This make no sense trying to compare Christianity with a false cult. Sure there are true Christians and make believers,but Muslims? They are ALL deceived no matter extreme or moderate.......deception has many tentacles.

#53 Jedi Knight, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2010
  14. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you.

The problem is, radical Muslims are known for pushing the envelope. What offends them today will incite them tomorrow. Give them an inch, and they will take a mile. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and I happen to believe that line is free speech granted by our US constitution.

If they can get us to give in on this, what's next? It's a slippery slope when you start to appease a bully. At some point, you have to stand up to them or the behavior will only escalate.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's because you live in Florida.

From the time you come to the southern part of Manhattan, you know something is missing. Did you know that they found body parts 6+ blocks away from ground zero?? This mosque is looking to be built 2 blocks away - still on the graves of those who died. It is not a little area that this happened in. It happened over all of southern Manhattan and seriously emotionally affected most everyone in this area.

I compare it to this: My child murders another child. They did it on purpose and are now in jail. We decide to move to a new home down the block from the home of the family of the murdered child. Every single day, that family has to drive past our home and be reminded over and over again of the horror of losing their child to a violent act that MY child caused. I could absolutely legally live there but is it right? I don't think so.

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently the faith of many muslims is invested in cellulose and ink rather than the words that are written there.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Muslims who want to build this mosque were not the Muslims that attacked the United States on 9/11/2001.

18. targus

targus New Member

And in annsni's analogy the family did not murder the child - the family's child committed the murder and is now in jail. The family is just moving near the victim's family.

So the analogy works.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

As Targus has said, my analogy works.

20. rbell

rbell Active Member

First of all, you honestly have no idea what you would do if you were a 9/11 family member. It's easy for folks to say, "Oh, I would never do such-and-such." But put them in that situation, and all of the sudden it's a different ballgame.

Secondly...it is close enough to be considered "ground zero." We're not talking a building footprint here. The affected area was the size of a large city block. ANd keep in mind that part of the landing gear did impact this site--so even in a strict sense, it was "Ground zero."

Thirdly...once again, let me point out the difference that many liberals and moderates (and even a few conservatives) have with this issue: We're not arguing whether or not government should prohobit the building. We're talking about the appropriateness of the building. Just because you can build....doesn't mean you should.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.