1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Use of the Midrash

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am curious is anyone uses the Midrash in any of your Biblical studies? If so, how has it helped you? Do you advise others to use it as a reference source?

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Midrash and the Talmud are interesting resources when researching ancient Jewish beliefs.

Once in a rare while I'll search it to see what ancient Jewish scholars believed.

The Talmud is like the Baptist Board without the bickering, lots of back and forth, much of it almost unintelligible. :saint:

Rob

3. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Crabtown, Midrashic interpretation is a fancy way of saying allegorization, which is something that non-Catholics have always stood against. I'd be very careful before allowing a Jewish community to determine the way I interpret the Bible. From reading about it, it doesn't seem like it is much different from the medival Quadriga, or four fold method of interpretation that the Catholics used.

In liberal scholarship, scholarship that denies the inspiration and infallibility of scripture, Midrashic interpretations are the new big thing. I'm sure other people on here know more about the subject, but from my limited knowledge, I would say stay away, brother.