1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Use of the term "Pastor"/"Minister"

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Dr. Bob, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Know some women who serve as "Children's Pastor" or "Minister of Education" or "Minister of Music."

What is your thinking on calling a woman a "pastor"?

Thanks.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think ther perm of pastor being used in those cases is an effort to make the church look not old and full of old people behind the times. I can remember when those people were called ministers. In a real sense they are not the pastor but really fulfilling the role of the early church deacon.

3. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

If they are really fulfilling the role of deacon, which I think they are, then why not call them "directors?"

But then, should male associate pastors who "direct" a specific ministry, also be called a director?

If he is ordained, should he be called a "minister?" Which ordination? Ordained as Pastor or Deacon.

Maybe the teaching/ruling office should be referred to as pastor and the ordained male staff - ministers; and the unordained female staff -directors.

This is getting to complicated. It also shows that protestants have done a poor job of thinking about the offices of the church (1 Tim. 3).

We have Pastors and Deacons/Deaconesses.
    With that understanding, I would call ordained men in teaching/ruling ministries - Pastors; and ordained men and women in service ministries - Ministers; and unordained men and women in service ministries - Directors!

[​IMG]

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Since a woman is not able to be a pastor, I would not call her one. Call her a director or a staff member.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Could it be for tax purposes that these people are called pastors? Otherwise I don't think they could claim a housing allowance unless they fulfilled that role to some degree.

6. Link

Link New Member

[snipped - non Baptist posting in Baptist only area]

[ November 08, 2004, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob ]

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Since a woman is not able to be a pastor, I would not call her one. Call her a director or a staff member. </font>[/QUOTE]Agree.

8. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

You can get a tax deduction if you are an ordained deacon/deaconess and your church considers "deacons/deaconesses" to be ordained clergy.

9. LarryN

LarryN New Member

We have several highly qualified women on our church's staff who serve as "director of __________"; etc. in appropriate ministries. None of them has the title of "pastor" however (which seven men in our church do have), and all of the women report to either the senior pastor or one of his associate pastors.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saggy - what is your title? Do folks consider you (a woman, for those who don't know her) as a "pastor"?

Thanks.

11. rufus

rufus New Member

We call them directors or coordinators, not pastors.

Rufus

12. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I am on staff, and some call me music and youth minister, some director. I don't really care what they call me.

13. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Every one on our staff is called a minister except the Senior Pastor.

14. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

And I really don't care, unless they aren't consistent.

15. Gib

Gib Active Member

I've gone from choir leader to song director to minister of music to worship pastor, back to choir director and now they just call me, "hey youin's". When I get mail, it says Rev. so and so. Sometimes I have to look at it twice.

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would have trouble calling a woman or an unordained man "pastor", but "minister" is not problematic for me. Thanks for all the good insights!

17. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me, a pastor or minister is someone whose livelihood comes from the work - that is to say paid. What I do is not paid, so officially I'm the Sunday School Superintendent and Choir Director. Although I will answer to Director of Christian Education, and even Children's Pastor in certain circles outside our church, like at seminars and such. Personally, It doesn't matter to me as long as folks understand that my position and others that are unpaid should still be given the respect of the job.

18. mioque

mioque New Member

In my church we aren't big on formal titles. Our Elders are sometimes collectively referred to as such (ouderlingen), but nobody would ever refer to an individual Elder as such. Mr. Peters is Mr. Peters not Ouderling Peters.
    I'm officially the koster (verger/custodian/sacristan/sexton) of the church, but nobody uses that title when talking to me.
    The sundayschool teachers are simply that.
    The word we use for pastor is dominee. Our 2 pastors, (both men by the way) are the only ones that are actually adressed with that title.