1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

User Fees

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Jan 19, 2008.

?
  1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. Not sure

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many agcys of the govt asseses user fees for usage. Do you consider these the same as taxes?

I would say that users fees would include toll roads, park fees, and ect

Thoughts?

2. billwald

billwald New Member

A tax is a fine you pay for doing something right. A fine is a tax you pay for doing something wrong.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When a govt is short of money, they may raise taxes and or fees.

If a, say a city park/golf club is runing at a defict, should the difference be made up by increasing taxes are increasing fees on the course and or park.

4. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I voted no, but if I am forced in some way to pay a user fee because I have no option, then it's just like a tax in that I have to pay whether I want to or not. For example, when I buy a tag for my car, I get something in exchange for my fee. That seems fair. But in reality I have no option. I don't have the option of not driving. (No, I don't have the option of selling my house and moving into the city. Selling one's property/home is never a rational option in a free and civilized society). Since I can't exercise the option of not paying the fee, it is in effect a tax. The state can set it at almost any rate they wish and I have to pay it.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But wouldnt you agree that a govt agy, such as DMV should at least "break even"?

6. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The government's job is to serve, not to make money. Lately, it seems getting more for doing less.

7. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

What BigBossman said.

DMV and all other government agencies are funded by our taxes: income, property, sales, etc. They should not be allowed to add a fee to those taxes, so they can expand an already bloated empires..

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree they (Govt agys) should not make money, but those who use the service should pay for it.

If you loose a legal case, you may be subject to court costs, if you travel by air, there is a surcharge to pay for airports - ect, a radio/TV station must pay for a license -, you pay to mail letters, there is a charge for passports and ect, ect ect.
    If you do not use any of those services, why should I pay extra taxes?

Granted some agys should be tax supported - fire, police, military and so forth.

9. billwald

billwald New Member

Yes. I support user fees. The only federal govt mandated businesses are the Navy, post offices, and post roads. See your Constitution. Other businesses should compete with private enterprise.

10. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have heard of cases where if you get a traffic ticket, decide to go to court & fight it, that you still have to pay for court costs. Has anyone else heard of that? I've heard that court costs are more expensive than the actual fine. Its almost like its cheaper to plead guilty & pay the fine rather than protest your innocense.

Fortunately, the two tickets I got nailed with in 2005 got thrown out of court before the judge walked into the court room. I was in & out of the court room in less than 10 minutes. I was lucky though. Its not everyday you get citations for expired tag & no insurance thrown out of court.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I did receive a ticket for expired license plate. It was because, I (and my POV) had spent three years in Germany. When I explained that to the judge - he dropped the charges.

On the other hand, I received a parking ticket for odd-even parking. I had a medical "reason" that evening - but according to the board - NO EXCUSES- PERIOD !. In Syracuse, you don't go before a judge for parking tickets - those are handled by a "traffic review board. That was about $30 including State surcharge