1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

valid baptism

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by menageriekeeper, Jun 19, 2005.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Somewhere between church and home this morning I was struck by this thought, if the person who baptized me turned out to not be saved would my baptism still be valid?

Along those same lines, is it possible for an unsaved(but maybe they think they are) person to lead another to Christ?

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

It is God that draws you to him. The vessel he uses is up to him.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptism does nothing to you.

It doesn't make you saved...

It doesn't make you more holy...

It doesn't give you extra powers...

Baptism is a sign to others of YOUR willingness to submit YOURSELF to God.
    It is a symbol of what GOD has done for you, raising you up from death and cleansing from the dominion of sin.

Personally, my baptism happened so long ago I don't even remember who baptised me...or what their condition in life was (I presumed they were saved).

Finding out that an unsaved person baptised you would be strange, but IMHO you still would be considered baptised.

Rob

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since baptism is not regenerational, having an unsaved person baptize you would have no effect on the statement of baptism.

Even among those who believe in baptismal regeneration, the state of the baptizer usually is thought to be irrelevant if the ritual is intended to be a Christian baptism.

5. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

Your baptism is "valid" if you have the "right person" (born again believer with a credible confession of faith when baptized); the "right authority" (The Church: Since the Church is accepting the person as a member, the Church is making the statement that the person has a credible profession. Some require the baptizer to be ordained, but I can't find scripture support for that, though someone in the leadership makes for good order) The "right method": (immmersion. Baptism means to immerse in water); the "right belief" (really an absence of wrong belief, i.e. baptismal regeneration or salvific baptism)

The Holy Spirit uses the truth of the Gospel to bring a person to repentence and faith. A rock could speak it (if God wanted) and fulfill our role. We have a great priviledge in being part of the salvation process. As long as the gospel is presented accurately, it doesn't matter if the person is saved or not. I have heard of a pastor being brought under conviction by his own preaching, realizing he wasn't saved, repenting and believing unto life for the first time.