1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vaticanus

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Glory2God, Feb 14, 2005.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that was helpful.

Anyone else with some real insight on the provenance of the texts used to create the TR-KJV-MT?

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Thank you for this very enlightening comment.Since you have the preface to the Majority Text before you could you give us the exact quote and reference where it says that Tischendorf "fished it out of a grbage can" please? I think it would add to the debate to see where "they" point that out.

[ February 17, 2005, 04:37 AM: Message edited by: C4K ]

3. mioque

mioque New Member

4His_glory
    "The Byzantine church was just an eastern counterpart to the Roman Church, and even had its own pope of a sort. "
    "
    The emperor of the (Eastern) Roman empire to be exact.

RSR
    TR-KJV-MT?
    The TR is the the corrected edition of Erasmus's Greek NT put out by the Dutch printshop Elsevier. In a broader sense it also covers all reprints of that edition and all later editions using that same text.
    The most important TR translation is the Statenbijbel of 1637. The TR was NOT used in the making of the KJV.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJV is a kind of eclectic text whose source documents are 99 percent Byzantine type texts with a smattering of Vulgate influences.

Scrivener tried to put it all together in his TR of 1894, but I have read that it also is not aligned 100% of the time, though I haven't found any anomalies after a multitude of comparisons.

Even the infamous Revelation 22:19 is "book of life" (BiBlou) in the Scrivener TR.

Can someone document any KJV/Scrivener inconsistencies?

HankD

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Thank you for the insight. You are right about the TR not being used in the translation of the KJV. I was going to mention that myself but I was still searching for the actuall date it first appeared in print.

If my memory serves me right, the KJV translators used a text of Erasmian origen, plus a few others that they had access to, of which were Byzantine text type.

By the way, people seem to believe that there are only two text types, Byzantine and Alexandrian, when in actuallality there are others such as Ceasarean.

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mioque said:

"TR-KJV-MT?"

I know, but I don't want to have to specify which exact documents I'm referring to every time I ask the question. The argument has been made that either the KJV source documents or the TR source documents are reliable because they had been used/preserved by the faithful churches. Is this true?

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

That is right rsr, it is one of the main arguments of the KJVOs, but as we have seen in this thread, it not a valid argument since it was not faithful churches that used/preserved (I thought God preserved not man) the codexs used.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Resonded by:
    I am not KJVO and this is my position with one qualification concerning "faithful".

Both inspiration and preservation are cooperative works between God and man. God of course being the instigator.

Inspiration of the original manuscripts by human beings who were "moved" by the Holy Spirit has been elaborated upon since antiquity.

Preservation is only now being thrashed about in the church (apart from the RCC historical view of the Vulgate written in "the language of heaven").This also requiring God and human instruments (scholars, scribes and translators).

Then finally, "faithful churches" is somewhat subjective. My point is that the Byzantine type mss sprung up out of the churches of the original mission field of the Apostle Paul regardless of their "faithfulness" (whatever that is). Many of his epistles written directly to these churches and therefore IMO "reasonable" but not guaranteed that the Byzantine apographs would be more accurate to the originals than the Alexandrian text types.

HankD

[ February 17, 2005, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: HankD ]

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Resonded by:
    I am not KJVO and this is my position with one qualification concerning "faithful".

Both inspiration and preservation are cooperative works between God and man. God of course being the instigator.

Inspiration of the original manuscripts by human beings who were "moved" by the Holy Spirit has been elaborated upon since antiquity.

Preservation is only now being thrashed about in the church (apart from the RCC historical view of the Vulgate written in "the language of heaven").

Then finally, "faithful churches" is somewhat subjective. My point is that the Byzantine type mss sprung up out of the churches of the original mission field of the Apostle Paul regardless of their "faithfulness" (whatever that is). Many of his epistles written directly to these churches.

HankD
    </font>[/QUOTE]First of all, were are we told in the Scriptures that preservation is a cooperative work between God and man? We are never told how God will preserve His Word, only that He would indeed preserve it.

Secondly, who evangelized the region of Alexandria? Paul was not the only proclaimer of the Gospel in his day. Does sombody want to find this out? I don't have the time now to do so, but is sure would be interesting to know.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Via His chosen people.

Romans 3
    1 What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?
    2 Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.

Psalm 68
    11 The Lord gave the word: great was the company of those that published it.

To name a couple of Scriptures.

It is not found in Scripture but the evangelization resulting in the advent of the local churches in Asia Minor is recorded in the Book of Acts.

HankD