1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Very sad commentary on the church today

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Sorry, but chemically it doesn't. It may be diluted or react with other chemicals to form new compounds, but as long as it is NaCl, it never changes saltiness. That is just not true.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe the issue of lames is one of biblical imagery. You are right about hell though. I do not see how I could hate someone so much that I would not tell them about what awaits them if they enter hell.

A friend of mine has a saying, "How much faster can we send them to hell."

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you very much for responding Hank. On the subject of the great commission I do indeed believe that it was fulfilled almost immediately on the day of Pentecost and confirmed in other places in the epistles. But I also believe it's not possible to constrain those living waters that are within the church, and that those who have tasted the joy, peace, and righteousness of the kingdom of God cannot help but to spread it. I believe the evangelic spirit to be a natural, inherent trait of any true church or believer. One desires to share it with others.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And my thanks to you brother.

HankD

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

Apparently God didn't know this 'fact' did He.

6. Magnetic Poles

Or his "scribe" messed up. Check with any chemist. You can take salt of any age, and it will still be as salty as it ever was.

7. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Neither God nor his "scribe" messed up. Salt that loses its taste is Dead Sea salt. Hmm...that's just happens to be in that area of the world.

8. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

As long as it is pure NACL, and not diluted with other chemicals as ALL "salt" was at the time (and until very recently).

9. Magnetic Poles

Any evidence of this? Again, despite what you want to believe, NaCl has saltiness as an inherent property, and does not suffer any reduction in that attribute over time.

10. Magnetic Poles

Some of the confusion may be that many seasonings, including pepper, do indeed lose their pungency and quality after time, especially when ground. But table salt is actually a rock, not a plant derivative. It is a chemical compound that maintains its attributes as long as it remains salt. It had great value in the ancient world. Hence terms like "salary" and "working at the salt mine".

11. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

"The salt that has "lost its taste" or "become insipid" may refer to a type of salt common in the Dead Sea area that is contaminated with gypsum and other minerals. It has a flat taste and is ineffective as a preservative. Such mineral salts were useful for little more than keeping footpaths free of vegetation. That may be why Jesus said that it is good for nothing but to be "trampled underfoot.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_in_the_Bible

12. Magnetic Poles

So the point remains, this particular salt is contaminated with other compounds. In and of itself, salt is not capable of losing its salty quality. But if the above is accurate (Wikipedia you know) it does place some missing context in place.

13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish to rephrase this statement to read:

I believe the evangelic spirit to be a natural, inherent trait of any healthy church or believer. One desires to share it with others....[

I heard a deacon make the statement (I'm certain he was quoting), "The church languishes during times of prosperity but thrives under adversity."

I don't understand everything that's happening with the church right now, but I do believe adversity is coming upon us and the sickness of the church that has it's roots in prosperity will be corrected.

#113 kyredneck, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2009
  14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I read this recently in a commentary. I can't remember which one. :)

It clears up the issue of salt losing it's flavor.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

makes sense amy.