1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vick

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by travisbaptist12, Jan 22, 2005.

1. travisbaptist12

travisbaptist12 New Member

Is Mike Vick superman, or a really overated player?

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's a great athlete.

3. travisbaptist12

But, is he a great quarterback? As of right now, he's not, but I think he has the potential to change the way the game is played. If he just develops his accuracy a little bit more, he can be the best to ever play the game.

4. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

They say the same thing about every quarterback with great running speed. Remember Randall Cunningham? He was supposed to be the "future" of NFL quarterbacks. He was just as fast as Vick is and he was bigger and stronger. He also had a 91 yard punt in an NFL game. So where are all the "Randall" clones? You can't have your quarterback rusing for 1000 yards year in and year out. That's too much punishment to take.

5. travisbaptist12

I disagree, I believe Vick is better than Cunningham. He's more of a leader, and has a better arm.

6. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

Since Randall played over 16 seasons in the NFL, Vick certainly has not come close to accomplishing what Randall accomplshed in the NFL. I personally saw Randall throw a ball 80 yards in practice on TV. That's a long throw.

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Randall had a very long motion (long release) when he threw the ball that accounted for his sometimes inaccurate throwing. Later on he developed a bit of a shorter motion when he wasn't able to get away from defenders like in days gone by. Vick has a long motion as well, not as long as Cunningham, and once he develops a shorter motion will be a very, very good quarterback.
    Just think about someone with Marino's release and Vicks feet!?!! Wow
    Concerning the question to if he is a good quarterback, ask the 12 teams that he beat this past year.

8. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

Hmm...quick releases are like great fastballs, you either got it or you don't. By the time Vick "learns" to quarterback, his speed will be long gone and he'll have to rely on his passing skills. I don't understand the fascination with quaterbacks with great speed? I guess people have some fantasy that they can run a lot. But why would you want your quaterback to run? His job is to pass, not run. There has never been a quarterback in NFL history who was run for a large amount of yards year after year. Both Randall and Vick had 900+ rushing seasons early in their careers. But paid for his running later in his a career with a serious knee injury. Vick has already had a serious knee injury...

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He can learn a quicker release, not Marino quick but quicker then he is now

10. west

west New Member

Wasn;t Vic either sacked the most times or pickoff ? I heard it ,its one of these .

11. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

He is perhaps the greatest athlete in the game today, but has a long way to go to be the best QB. But with his talent, the sky is the limit.

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe if he played a season of Arena Football, he would learn to get rid of the ball quicker. That or get killed! There is no place to run. It seemed to work for Kurt Warner.