1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Views of Beatitudes

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Ray Berrian, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Hans Windisch points out that contemporary discussion indicates to some people that the Sermon on the Mount is impracticable and is not to be taken literally. {Hans Windisch, "The Meaning of the Sermon on the Mount," The Westminster Press, p. 91 (Late Professor of Theology at the University off Halle-Wittenberg)}

Other people feel that the 'Beatitudes' appear thoroughly logical and is a guide for Christian believers to follow in spite of His strict directives.

Some people point to the fact that we should be emulating these Beatitudes because we are, as Christians, in the Kingdom of God.

People also believe that the Beatitudes were given to the Jews as a bonified option as to receiving the Kingdom on this earth when Christ came and lived among us. [John 1:11]

People who believe in various dispensations within God's historicity believe that the church age, is an interpolation, [Ephesians 3:5 & 9] between the Old Covenant and the future Millennial Kingdom on this earth. [Revelation 20:2,3,4,5,6,7] It is true that the church is apart of the Kingdom of God right now, but in another sense all of God's people including O.T. saints will be included in the Kingdom Age on this earth and later we will move on into the New Heaven.

I also believe that the Israelites were really offered an opportunity to believe in Jesus as their Messiah, but they closed their eyes to the truth. If they had accepted Jesus and their Kingdom, Jesus could still have died on the Cross for our sins at a later time. The Israelites rejected Christ as Messiah, but Jesus still died for our sins on Calvary. [I John 2:2]

It is most certainly true that the O.T. prophets never knew of our present church age. [Ephesians 3:9-10]

Personally, I believe that the Beatitudes are to be taken literally and we are to strive to obey them because we as Christians are now in the Kingdom of God. We will not always be successful in obeying them, but we must strive to do so.

My personal view is that without doubt the Beatitudes will be a viable guide for Christians who will later be a part of the Kingdom Age on this earth, [Zechariah 14:9 & 16] plus all those sinners who will become followers of Christ during the 1,000 year reign of Christ on this earth. [Zechariah 14:16] Christ will maintain us through grace but He will demand that His people obey His teachings. [Zechariah 14:17-19]