1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Virginia files suit against healthcare bill

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by targus, Mar 23, 2010.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

so people who barley live now will be forced to pay for insurance, then deductables and co pays, yeah right, going to see a lot more people in this country starving to death, and still dying from injury and disease because they can't pay for the deductables and co pays, not going to help anyone at all. just going to cost more of what little we have now.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

3. targus

targus New Member

An insurance policy is a negotiated contract. A health insurance policy with deductibles is what your company chose to buy probably out of cost savings concerns.

A deductible amount or co-pay causes the user to think twice as to whether or not they really need the service. When there is no deductible many go to the doctor when they don't really need to simply because it doesn't cost them anything.

Your employer provided insurance plan sounds like a pretty good deal. A $750 annual deductible amount for you to pay is $62.50 a month or $14.42 a week for your medical care. That is a bargain when compared to the potential cost of going without coverage.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    New Hampshire does not have a seat belt law. LIVE FREE OR DIE!

As far as vehicle insurance, there is no "right" to drive. It is a privilege, and again I emphasis that insurance is to protect me from your wrong actions.

5. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

This is a serious question- How many people are really like that? I know I absolutely HATE going to the doctor and I can't imagine anyone going when they don't need to, even if it costs them nothing out of pocket.

6. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I did not know this, thanks! I wonder if this has affected this state's access to government highway programs?

7. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you please tell us the federal statute that mandates that we wear seatbelts and have auto insurance?

8. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

There are lots of people that run to the doctor for every little, tiny ailment. I know many of them.

9. targus

targus New Member

Fairly frequently I think.

Studies have shown that when an employer sets up a fund that the employee can draw on to pay deductibles and co-pays through the year and then keep the remaining balance at the end of each year - employees go to the doctor less than if they cannot keep the remaining balance.

When you have an investment in each doctor visit you tend to think a little bit more about whether it is really necessary or not.

Co-pays and deductibles really are not much when compared with the total cost of a doctor visit and lab expenses or hospital stay.

#29 targus, Mar 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2010
  10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would be surprised how many people will actually go to the doctor or ER, just to have company. In addition, I drive Medicaid cab. I have picked up many customers who didn't really need to go t the DR. but since the medical and taxi were free - why not.

I have heard the same in military hospitals - some just go because they are lonely.

Here in the Salt City, one Medicaid recipient made some 500 visits to the Emergency room in one year - and state law requires the ambulance to transport him, even if the medic does not think it is worthy of an ER trip.
    (wish I could find the link)

Salty

11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    maybe you are right. IF, as pointed out, one can quickly pull out his wallet.
    but for a paycheck to paycheck income ?
    and I would say a lot of people in these United States are that.

it's not a question of whether the glass is viewed as half-full, or half-empty, to me it's a question of is there water to view as half-filling or half-empty from the glass.
    could be the same question for many, but I don't know.

12. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bad news, really bad news.
    Seeing as how health care is going to be worse, as you say, I can understand now why a Filipino doctor in the Philippines tells his patients from the mountain villages to go see their local albulario (herb doctors) or their local hilots (kind of herb chiropractor) for very minor cases that come into his clinic.