1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Visiting church members

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Salty, Aug 9, 2023.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Found this on a Face Book page:
    "Members would like me and my wife to visit them. We have at times but I guess they want it more frequently. I am Bi-Vocational, have family of 6 and I'm trying to find the time. You think people would understand.
    What do I do?
    I am involved in trying to schedule events, I visit if needed, I am involved in community pastors group also.
    A lot of things a pastor does.
    I don't get a lot of money from church so you think they would understand."

Ask each member of your church to write down all the responsibilities you have and how many hours you should spend on each! Dollars to donuts - it will add up to more than 168 hours per week (and most will probably forge to list sleep)! Then figure your your hourly pay!

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. taisto

taisto Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like he needs elders beside himself. The elders, paid or unpaid, are to care for the sheep. This is their primary role. The community pastors group isn't a priority, though it's a way of knowing the greater community. The local body is priority number one. If the body is too large for one person, then additional elders are needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Suppose there is no one who would be be qualified to be an elder?
    Going to a pastors group can be a priority - esp if the pastor has no one to share with.
    A pastors group can be very effective for a pastor.

4. taisto

taisto Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are the pastor of a church of 50 people and no one is qualified to be an elder then the Bible has not been taught in that church. Look at the writing on elders in scripture and tell me that these men had years of walking with God before they were chosen as elders. The church was new and yet elders were chosen. Your supposition expresses an absolute lack of biblical growth in a church, which ultimately reflects the pastor as being incompetent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) I dont know how many members this church has
    Could be it is well below 50 and if it is that small - maybe that is why they think he visit more often.
    You are correct about an absolute biblical growth may be right on.
    I currently have 2 men that have been Christians for many years - but there spiritual level is about the 4th grade - at best.

I will ask the pastor about his church size.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He has not yet mentioned how big his church or how many men there are.

I was once an interim pastor of a church that only 3 women!
    Thus no deacons.

7. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What happened to the church?

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastors are not there to do the work of the church, they are there to raise up their people to do the work of the church.

I’m wouldn’t say that some social visiting isn’t important, but there are far more pressing matters that fill a pastor’s calendar.

Visiting might be something a deacon’s group or a hospitality team might take upon themselves to free up the pastor to study and lead.

Rob

9. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe alternate or something

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This was over 20 years ago -the last I knew, they got a new pastor and have continued
    This was in West Va - I now live in Upstate NY

11. taisto

taisto Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There were no Phoebe's?

• Like Like x 1
  12. taisto

taisto Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What would you say the Bible defines as "the work of the church?"

Pastor's are elders. They are the undershepherds of Christ Jesus. They care for the sheep, tending to them and getting to know them.

If a pastor does not know his sheep, how can he train them to "do the work of the church?"

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can not speak for the church in the OP
    But in my church - I do know them - and they are not ready to lead.
    From a military point of view - they are still in the first week of Basic Training.
    We have a lot of work to do!

The previous pastor was there for ten years - he left due to his loosing mental capacity due to age - - he should have left about 5 years previously. Things really went downhill after his wife passed away. (I was a member of a different church at the time) - Anyways, the pastor did not do a very good job of teaching. I am trying to bring them up to par. but it will take a while.

14. taisto

taisto Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why should it take awhile? The early church was dealing with pagans who knew nothing of God, yet they were quickly selecting and commissioning elders. Most were illiterate and wholly uneducated. If God could provide elders then, why is it so hard for God to provide elders now? Do the men love God? Do they care about others? Do they desire to see the Kingdom grow in their neighborhood?
    We don't need educated men to be elders, we need Godly men to be elders. Are your men so enamored by the world that they don't cling desperately to Christ?
    I don't know your situation and you know it well, so please forgive me for pushing you with all the questions. I have a hard time imagining Christian brothers not being fully consumed by the Holy Spirit to love Jesus more than anything. How can a believer remain stagnant and still be a believer? The writer to the Hebrews would call that "drifting" which is a terrible thing.

I am sorry for your struggles

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets just say I am trying to do 10 years of non-action.

No need to feel sorry for us -
    But we do covet our prayers.

I was just thinking -
    For several years I was a behind-the-wheel driving instructor.
    Though most of my students were under 35 -
    I did have a number that were 60+
    There were two groups of this age group:
    1) wives who never drove in their life because their hubby did all the driving.
    These ladies are now widows and need to drive.

2) Senior citizens who were directed to take a road test to see if they still had proper skills to continue driving. - those in this group - failed their road test and needed training to sharpen their skills and would have to take another road test.

Which group do you think was easier to teach?
    Those who had driven for decades - or those who never drove a day in their life?
    The group that was learned quickly were those who never had driven - you see they had no bad habits to break.

The "experience" were not as easy to teach as it was hard for them to break bad habits and to ajdust to new traffic laws. ie - where do you stop for a stop sign ? And the answer is NOT @ the stop sign!. Also many had problems with their blind spots, ect, ect, ect. I had one lady who failed her test ten times!

And that is why I am struggling as these folks are still stuck pre 2000

As I mentioned earlier - we covet your prayers.

• Like Like x 1
  16. taisto

taisto Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It sounds discouraging. Remain faithful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    right after I came - the Chinese virus hit -

18. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Visitation is an important part of a church's duty.
    Tell this man to read The Reformed Pastor by the Puritan Richard Baxter. When Baxter became the minister of the church in Kidderminster, UK, he made it his goal to visit every house in the town. He started at one end of it, and his assistant started at the other end and they went on until they met in the middle!
    Of course towns are a lot bigger today that they were in 1650 or whenever, and if your chap is bi-vocational and has no assistance he has my sympathy. But if he can't do visitation then he needs to set a priority on raising up people in his church to help him.

• Agree Agree x 1