1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vista bites the dust

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by exscentric, Jan 20, 2008.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was having so much trouble with Vista upgrade that I had to wipe the drive and go back to xp. I think it was due to the fact that I upgraded an old install of xp that had a lot of its own built in problems.

Friday things stopped working, it wouldn't read flash drives and lots of little stuff. It wanted to install drivers that it couldn't find for equipment I'm not sure I had on my machine so Sat. morning I returned.

I think it is a good system for those that buy machines with it on them, but not sure I'd suggest the upgrade version. Microsoft was no help, they ignored snailmail and blocked me from getting email help saying my install had expired.

The wife has new rig and son has two and all three units do vista nicely.

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's kind of what I think, and also why I'm still on XP on my 'puter. 2 of my daughters have recently bought laptops with Vista, and their are doing great. I think I'll wait until I buy again.

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had problems of some sort or another every day. Their updates seemed scheduled to wipe out some of my old software each time :)

Lack of backward compatibility was a calculated bottom line decision and as for me and my family we are on the watch for free programs to replace the microsoft stuff that does not work.

If they do this I look for them to increase the lack of compatibility in office etc. as well. There were problems several years ago with those moving from Works to Office not being able to read their old files - that is calculated in my mind.

I teach an xp basic class and have been thinking about how I would teach Vista and I think the heavy side after basic computing would be to explain how to find help on the computer, online and among friends :thumbs: There is no way to teach all the ins and outs of the system without months of classes and I can't remember that much stuff anyway :laugh:

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

my biggest problem with it - is that I still can't use some good old stuff with it. I have a great Algebra 1 test generator that helps get the kids ready for standardized tests, but it's not compatible with this silly computer. Algebra 1 questions don't change!

5. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now this, I believe, is a classic example of operator error! :D

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I like Vista, but I had some of the same compatibility issues. I hate Math, but my wife loves it. :thumbs:

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I don't think so :laugh:

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

It's amazing we get along ;)

You wife and I should be best friends though :D

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I wonder myself. :confused:

But you and my wife would be up all night, while I'll be either on my laptop or watching some NBA. :thumbs:

10. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Well! You don't have to look that puzzled! humpf :laugh:

Ron will watch the game with you :thumbs: Laptops, big screen TVs. Who could ask for more!?!

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Sounds good! Plus my wife makes the best cornbread.