1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Voting Record of Barack Hussein Obama

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by LadyEagle, May 12, 2008.

1. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would agree that to the extent the expression "Dubya" was intended to suggest that Mr. Bush was kind of simpleton or "hic". My point is that it is precisely this kind of tactic that Christians should not employ. It is a tactic of the world, and we are compromising way too much when we call President Bush "Dubya" or refer to Mr. Obama's middle name.

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's only in the world that there is politics, and muckraking is a big part of it.

3. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Surely you are not suggesting that Christians "do politics" the same way the world does....

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said what I meant. If Christians "do politics" at all we are doing it in the world.

5. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I suggest that Jesus calls us to a different standard of behaviour and that what you are suggesting entails collaborating with the very kingdoms that are at war with the true Kingdom that we are called to build. We are simply not called to conform to the world's fallen way of doing anything - and this includes politics. As you are no doubt aware, there are the words of Jesus:

"You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 43Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 44and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. "

Now the issue for Jesus here is the exertion of power in the world. Well, political debate is one of the ways we exert power in the world. I would be surprised if there is not an application in the above words of our Lord in respect to how Christians are to conduct political debate.

Jesus is Lord of all - and this includes the world of politics.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be lord of a certain endeavor, he sure dosen't make it very tame and respectful, does he?

Anyway, what did he do or say in regard to those in power? He called them broods of vipers, among other names. Is that "perjurative?" He called a male ruler a female fox. Religio-political leaders he called hypocrites and berated them in their own center of worship. If we should follow His example, let's do it.

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Wrong. IIRC, Bush himself uses it, and it started as a friendly way to distinguish him from the other George (Herbert Walker) Bush. Remember those stickers in 2004..."W... Still the President"?

8. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Amen and amen. :thumbs:

9. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I don't know about y'all but when I hear my whole name I think that I am in trouble. Now that might not be the case with "Barry" Barak Hussein Obama but I can tell you this, Barry will be trouble for this nation if he is elected POTUS.

BTW, Barry even hates his own name so it stands to reason that his supporters do to. :laugh:

10. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

One way to determine this is to look at McCain's voting record. Of course since the Republican nomination was decided much earlier than the Democratic this will not be a direct comparison.

11. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Remember when he first took office and the staff of the previous administration removed the W's off of all the key boards? It cost several hundred dollars just to replace those key boards. So much for friendly.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. I remember a story about different caps for the Democrats who are fans of the Washington Nationals so that they wouldn't have to wear a cap with a "W" on it. :)

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder, then, if Obama 'fans' in Houston demanded a new cap instead of the star with the "H" in it. And Orlando must have some teams....

[​IMG]

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Senator Obama isn't known as "H". Maybe the Big O???? :) (With apologies to Oscar Robertson.)

Also, the Astros haven't had the "H" on their caps in years.

[​IMG]

What a great comeback by the 'Stros to beat the Giants this afternoon. :thumbs:

#34 KenH, May 15, 2008
    Last edited: May 15, 2008
  15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hilary doesn't start with an H?