1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Vulgar language in the KJV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by evangelist6589, May 9, 2015.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL

Yep, never heard that one in a sermon. Pretty scathing.

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's an interesting issue since I am not familiar with any translation that actually explains the euphemism.

For those who don't know, the "feet" are genitals. See Table 3 on this site.

I'm guessing that most translators don't want to be publicly crucified for translated the book of Ruth accurately where Ruth uncovers Boaz's genitals in the night, making a wifely claim. She was proposing marriage to Boaz in a culture where women did not have a way to do it through normal societal means. No wonder Boaz was so startled!

There is no hint of sexual immorality here - the language does not indicate any sexual action. Being an honorable man, he went through the process to "redeem" Ruth before they had marital relations.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    W.A. Criswell allegedly preached on every verse in the Bible through his pastorate at FBC Dallas. I've alway wondered what the Sunday sermon on Ezekiel 23:20-21.

That's one of my standard go-to texts for those who claim that every word of scripture is appropriate for small children. (That's usually in the context of that same person condemning straight talk in church about sexual matters in an age-appropriate fashion.)

4. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah. So that's what rsr was speaking of. Thanks.