1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Walkington's Works

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Walkington was Arthur W. Pink's middle name . On this thread I will cite Pink's words from a number of his books -- not only one this time .

This opening post will be from : The Immutability Of God chapter in his book : The Attributes Of God .

Herein is solid comfort . Human nature cannot be relied upon; but God can ! However unstable I may be , however fickle my friends may prove , God changes not ... His purpose is fixed . His will is stable , His word is sure . Here then is a rock on which we may fix our feet , while the mighty torrent is sweeping away everything around us .

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From His Book : The Doctrine Of Reconciliation

Chapter 2 : Its Need .

How little is it realized that there is an immeasurable gulf between God and sinner . And little wonder that so few have even the vaguest idea of the same ...[T]he relgion of present-day Christendom is but a studied effort to hide the awful truth that man has forfeited the favor of God and is barred from His holy presence ... The religion of today proceeds on the assumption that God is favorably disposed even unto those who spend most of their time trampling His commandments beneath their feet .

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reconciliation : Its Reception

[Paul] reasoned of righteousness , temperance and judgment to come , so that Felix trembled . (Acts 24:25 ). Alas , how little of such zeal and fidelity is there today on the part of those who profess to be the servants of God ; how little is there in their preaching which makes the hearer 'tremble' .

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Doctrine Of Election : Its Publication

Doctrinal instruction must be given on the character of God , the requirements of His law , the nature and heinousness of sin , if a foundation is to be laid for true evangelism .

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

Rippon,

I believe Pink had a "problematic" view of God. I say that because, in the end, he believed that only his church was saved. I say that because he died very isolated in his own beliefs about God.

I did enjoy his book "AntiChrist." But to me, there is an issue of glorifying God without having a "Father-child" relationship with Him. That is, all glorious mystique -- no familiarity. It's as if God didn't want us to know Him and Him plans. This is what I read also in your OP(s).

skypair

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SP , A.W. Pink did not have a "problematic view of God ." That is a troublesome assertion you made . I doubt you have read very widely in Pink's works .
    I do not know how you gained the impression from my OP that AWP did not have a father to child relationship with His Heavenly Father . Again , you need to be more familiar with his multitude of writings before you can be allowed to say such things . ( Even a cursory view of some of his works would disabuse you of making such wild claims as is your habit .)
    His book on the Anti-Christ was written in his dispensational days . He renounced that stance in articles written in 1933 and 1934 .
    He did not think that "only his church was saved ." He did not have "a church" or denomination as such -- he was no Harold Camping .

#6 Rippon, Apr 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2007
  7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Practical Christianity : The Power

Are you as willing for Christ to rule as to save you ? Do you pray as earnestly for purity as for pardon ? Are you as anxious to be delivered from the power of sin as you are from the fires of hell ? Do you desire holiness as much as you do heaven ? Is the dominion of sin as dreadful to you as its wages ? Does the filthiness of sin grieve you as much as the guilt and damnation of it ?

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Practical Christianity : Chapter 3

Is there now in me which responds to the holy Law of God ? Is it truly my longing and resolve to be wholly regulated by the divine will ? Is it the deepest yearning of my soul and the chief aim of my life to honour and glorify Him ? Is it my daily prayer for Him to work in me both to will and to do of His good pleasure ? Is my acutest grief occasioned when I feel I sadly fail to fully realize my longing ?

9. skypair

skypair Active Member

That's the "thumbnail" on him -- that he went through these changes. He had a missionary church in China, right? Quite a following as you say. But died in England an isolated, broken man is what I heard.

As to your questions, yes to all. I see God's way as the best way and examine my own inadequacy daily, if not because of the "blowback"/repercussions then because I know it grieves God. I realize that I am in training for the initial stages of heaven right now.

You?

skypair

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SP , you really come up with "unique" statements quite frequently . Of course many of these novel ideas are incorrect . Pink never had a missionary church in China . That would not have been a bad thing , but where in the world do you come up with these things ?
    Pink died on the Isle of Lewis , Stornoway , Scotland July 15, 1952 . He was isolated , but not a broken man . He was a tremendous instrument for the furtherance of the Gospel . He was a valuable help to many pastors in his time . But , more importantly his influence spread much more significanly after his death . Many of his writings from "Studies In The Scriptures" were put in book form and have blessed untold millions and shall continue to do so in the future . Despite Pink's weaknesses he was mighty in the Scriptures . Iain Murray compares him to Matthew Henry in that regard .

#10 Rippon, Apr 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2007
  11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From " Letters Of A.W.Pink

... I will name some of the criteria by which I measure the helpfulness of a preacher or writer to my own soul . The one who most profits me is the man whose ministry brings most of the awe of a holy and sovereign God on my heart, who discovers to me my sinfulness and failures , who conveys most light on the path of duty , who makes Christ most precious to me , who encourages me to press forward along the narrow way .

12. skypair

skypair Active Member

Well, that's part of the story I heard. I wouldn't even get into it but you asked.

skypair

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Immutability Of God

My first post was in error . I mistakenly did not quote all that I intended . so , here goes again .

Here is solid comfort . Human nature cannot be relied upon ; but God can !However unstable I may be , however fickle my friends may prove , God changes not . If He varied as we do , if He willed one thing today and another tommorow , if He were controlled by caprice , who could confide in Him ? But He is ever the same . His purpose is fixed , His will stable , His word is sure . Here then is a rock on which we may fix our feet , while the mighty torrent sweeps away everything around us . The permanence of God's character guarantees the fulfillment of His promises : ' For the mountains shall depart , and the hills be removed ; but my kindness shall not depart from thee , neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed , saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee .' ( Isaiah 54:10)

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Faithfullness Of God

There are seasons in the lives of all when it is not easy , not even for Christians , to believe that God is faithful .
    Our faith is sorely tried , our eyes dimmed with tears , and we can no longer trace the outworking of His love . Our ears are distracted with the noises of the world , harrassed by the atheistic whisperings of Satan , and we can no longer hear the sweet accents of his still small voice . Cherished plans have been thwarted , friends on whom we have relied have failed us , a professed brother or sister in Christ has betrayed us . We are staggered . We sought to be faithful to God , and now a dark cloud hides Him from us ... Ah , faltering soul , seek grace to heed Isaiah 50:10 : Who is among you that feareth the Lord , that obeyeth the voice of his servant , that walketh in darkness , and hath no light ? Let him trust in the Name of the Lord , and stay upon his God .

15. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Wow, I needed that. Thanks.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pink Is Potent -- Isn't He ?

From : The Sovereignty Of God -- the chapter called : Our Attitude Towards God's Sovereignty .

A true recognition of God's sovereignty will avow God's perfect right to do with us as He wills . The one who bows to the pleasure of the Almighty will acknowledge His absolute right to do with us as seemeth Him good . If He chooses to send poverty , sickness , domestic bereavements , even while the heart is bleeding from every pore , it will say , 'Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right !' ... the tempestuous flood will [cease] and the subdued soul will lift a tearful but confident eye to heaven and say , 'Thy will be done .'

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Sovereignty Of God

From the chapter : The sovereignty Of God In Operation .

Upon His own elect God exerts a quickening , an energising , a directing , and a preserving power . Upon the wicked God exerts a restraining , softening , directing , hardening and blinding power , according to the dictates of His own infinite wisdom and unto the outworking of His own eternal purpose . God's decrees are being executed . What He has ordained is being accomplished . Man's wickedness is bounded . The limits of evil-doing and of evil-doers has been Divinely defined and cannot be exceeded . Though many are in ignorance of it , all men , ...are under the jurisdiction of and are absolutely subject to the administration of the Supreme Sovereign . --'Alleluia : for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth' ( Rev.19:6) -- reigneth over all .

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From The sovereignty Of God

Difficulties And Objections

That which sinners need to have brought before them is , the ineffable holiness , the exacting righteousnes , the inflexible justice and the terrible wrath of God ... [ they have to know of ] their absolutely ruined and lost condition , their imminent and awful danger of suffering the wrath to come , the fearful guilt resting upon them in the sight of God -- to present Christ to those who have never been shown their need of Him , seems to us to be guilty of casting pearls before swine .

19. skypair

skypair Active Member

My response would be 2Pet 1 -- "3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

Backsliding calls for diligence in faith, virtue, etc. --- spiritual growth, not self-pity.

skypair

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate the verses you shared from 2 Peter SP . But what Pink was describing in post #14 was not a backsliden state , nor was it entirely self-pity . Pink's words reminded me of many Psalms where David had to reclaim the promises of the Lord despite a myraid of vexations afflicting his soul .