1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Want To Save $150 Billion

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by LeBuick, Aug 11, 2009.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I wonder how much it would save it we just don't do the "subsidies" at all?

Forcing someone to buy something they may not want so you can pay for it for them makes no sense in the first place.

2. targus

targus New Member

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/104xx/doc10464/hr3200.pdf

In total, CBO estimates that enacting those provisions would raise deficits by $1,042 billion over the 2010-2019 period.

$1,042 billion = over $1Trillion

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

With every proposal to include the Republican's, be it subsidies or tax credits, we will be helping them get coverage. Up to a certain income bracket we will be buying their coverage since many of the low income don't pay taxes.

Also, as tax payers we are paying for their coverage every time they hit an emergency room. We might as well cover their preventive care with the emergency room money and they can live healthier lives.

So that is a valid concern that needs to be figured out.

IF things go as planned, and I agree that is a big IF, the public option will be a self sustaining option with the basic operation running off premiums and free of tax dollar support. The tax dollars or cost figures you see in this area mostly deal with covering the uninsured.

I honestly believe we can collapse VA, Medicare, Medicaid and Military health care into different levels of this public option and if done right it can operate on the tax dollars currently collected from our checks. This will also give the public option a basic frame work of claim agents etc... and we can save some money there since all the current bureaucracies in those agencies will no longer be needed.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Not sure what you're looking at but on page 2 in your link it says the net change to the deficit are as follows;

2010 = 11
    2011 = -24
    2012 = -36
    2013 = -1
    2014 = 5
    2015 = 40
    2016 = 58
    2017 = 58
    2018 = 62
    2019 = 65
    2010-2014 = -44
    2010-2019 = 239

These are the projections of an unfinished plan and we all know government changes with each election cycle. In 2012 for the next election we'll be at $36 Billion savings and the shock of this change will be in our rear view mirrors (for most American's). I believe by then we can tweak what we have to absorb the $239 Billion by 2019 but regardless of that, they are working out that last $239 Billion since the promise is to be deficit neutral. Unfortunately, I see this meaning the rich will pay that last bit in one way or another.