1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

War vs War

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by DavidsAngel, Sep 9, 2004.

1. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

How many of you agree with Bush about invading Iraq and when it was?

How many of you beleive that we should take the same stance on Iran?

How many of you agree that North Korea jumped up after the invasion of Iraq because they believed that they were next in line on our hit list?

Do you have any pro con approaches to the wars in these area's

Let's add one more to the mix.

Chechnya. In the news latley with the seige of the school. Do you agree they had no other choice? Do you know why they "claimed" to have done it? Do you know the history between the Chechnyan people and Russia?

Now I do understand there will be some lengthy replies and I will respond with what I believe after we get started on this "debate".

Just remember be kind in your replies and remember that EVERYONE has a say and a right to say it [​IMG]

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would like this in the History Forum, but prolly will get more exposure and response here.

1. I would like to have seen the US take complete care of Bin Laden and Afghanistan BEFORE moving on to Iraq.

2. Sadam was evil and not recalcitrant and needed what he got.

3. Other nations took note, for sure. North Korea and Iran WERE part of an evil axis and now are pulling back their fangs.

4. Russians haven't a clue how to deal with terrorists. The movie theater fiasco a year ago, bombs on Aeroflot and now the school - they need to develop specialized teams like the US or Israel have for dealing with such.

5. Russia has HISTORICALLY been a "bully", forcing control of non-Russian ethnic groups for centuries. Poland has been under Russian hegemony MORE than it has been a nation!

The entire trans-Caucasus region has a different language, culture, religion (for some) etc. Would be like us making Mexico and Guatemala and Honduras states in the Union. And have tens of thousands of armed patrols daily.

Control of the European regions (Lithuania, Ukraine, Beloruss, etc) was too much. But I think the Russians feel a longer/stronger tie to control of this region.

Remember, Papa Joe was from Tiflis . .

3. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

I agree about Bush invading Iraq when he did. I think he did it to keep the momentum going. And, to prove that we are not going to take it anymore. I also think that we had a certian responsiblity to get him out of power seeing as how we put him in there in the first place a long time ago :-/

I think we should esp if they are harboring terroist. And I agree they are pulling back thier fangs quicker than they showed them.

I think that north Korea was REALLY scared when we invaded Iraq. I think they saw thier future. I think that's why they went all up in arms. To try to show they weren't scared. Ect.

When talking pros and cons of these wars there are many. The biggest con is the human life that is taken in any conflict. The pro is generally it's worth it. In this case what Saddam had been doing for so many years (genocide, rape, murder, ect) really had to stop. We couldn't afford for him to get as powerful as we let Bin Laden become. If we had, we would be looking at 10's of thousands of losses. Then we would have looked back and said we should have done something then.

I have to agree with Russia. Although the recent reports of what went on in that school make my skin crawl. I seem to think that the government brought the situation on itself. You can only push some people so far before they explode and that is exactly what they did.

I agree too about the tie's to this part. They have lost soooooo much they don't want to lose anymore land. Esp in this region. It would be catastrophic to thier economy.

So much politics, so much blood shed. In the end it's mothers, brothers, sisters, fathers, and the rest of the family that suffers. They lose thier life fighting for a cause. Either on one side or the other.

4. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

Well Dr. Bob maybe we should move it?

5. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I would also have preferred for us to have concentrated on the terrorists and on Afghanistan (among other places) and not invading Iraq especially since the reasons Bush has given for going to war with Iraq have not been validated. No weapons of mass destruction or the capability to produce them have been found and no link to 9/11 has been proven. In fact, from what I've read, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Pakistan (yes our ally) had much more of a link to the 9/11 terrorists than did Iraq.

We went to war with Iraq because that had been the plan all along, since before 9/11. This move had been championed by Paul Wolfowitz, Rumsfield, and Cheney throughout the 1990's. If we had stayed out of Iraq, we would still have allies in the world and the terrorist threat, rather than being higher, would have been lower. What we did by invading Iraq was to tremendously benefit al-Quaeda recruitment.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is 9-11-2004 today. We will be reminded all day of our second "day of infamy".

Personally, I am thankful for the brave troops we have in Iraq, Afghanistan and the national guard/reserve soldiers, police, firemen and other emrgency workers we have here.

I am a veteran, two of my four sons have served, one is going in September 21.

A Beslan type of attack could happen here.
    We should do all that we can to reduce the odds.

IMO it's best to keep the jihad terrorist magnet (our military presence) in Iraq.

HankD

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Shouldn't this thread be in the Politics forum? Or maybe Current Events? It doesn't seem to belong here. :confused: This is the kind of topic I don't have much interest in posting on -- that's why I don't go to the Politics forum. [​IMG]

8. Comrade

Comrade New Member

I agree with Bush. I believe that bin Laden is dead because he was sited at a city in Afganistan before we leveled I don't have time to say more so I say more later.