1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Warren Wiersbe

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by wwr 82, Dec 24, 2005.

1. wwr 82

wwr 82 New Member

I'm thinking about getting a couple of his books but I'm very unfamiliar with his writings. How biblicaly sound is his theology?

Thanx

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Take a snoop around http://www.backtothebible.org/

I have some of his commentaries, and they are good, but basic for the most part, but worth while. His theology should be pretty good knowing who he is with, but as with alllllllll writers, compare with Scripture [​IMG]

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    wwr82,

I have used his commentaries and such. I find hardly anything objectionable. I heard him speak at Union University when I was doing my MDiv work. He is a dry type of speaker. But, he is full of truth. I must say that his writing is much better, IMO (which is not worth much) than his pulpit manner.

I am "Suthran" and was reared on Missionary Baptist, morners bench "stomp-and-snort" preachin'; so I like my preachers a bit more "animated."

The only caveat that I see; if I remember correctly, is that he is a full-blown dispensationalist. (I may not remember this correctly but I think I do-please correct me if I am wrong here). If dispensationalism does not bother you--then go for it!

sdg!

rd

4. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

As a "Yankee" Southern Baptist I've always thought of Missionary Baptists as part of an African-American tradition. (A couple of my classmates in my DMin program are African-American pastors in Missionary Baptist churches). Just curious: Were you part of some multi-cultural churches?

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "full-blown dispensationalist"

Well, isn't anyone worth his salt? :D

Yes, he is that if nothing else [​IMG]

6. wwr 82

wwr 82 New Member

Nope, doesn't bother me a bit. Thanks to all.

7. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PatsFan,

In upper Middle-Tn the "Missionary Baptist Churches" are mostly white. Their roots go back to the Primitive Baptist, anti-education, anti-missions, anti-Sunday School, ideas of the early to mid 1800s. They are extremely influenced by Finney and his revivalsim of that era down to what they call the "morner's bench." This would roughly correspond to what Finney called his "anxious bench."

The idea was that sinner's had "to pray through" in order to be saved. I know this is not a one-for-one match for Finney theology. As a boy I remember the same "sinners" coming to the morner's bench revival after revival.

At one end they would pray and cry and folk would gather around them, pray, and holler "Hold on! Hold on!"

At the other end the sinners would come to pray, folk would gather 'round them, pray and exhort them; "Turn loose! Turn loose!" This was a bit bewildering for a young boy trying to understand the Gospel.

I really never did know much about the black Missionary Baptists until I moved to W.TN. to go to seminary. They are everywhere here and in N.MS. and E.AR.

Missionary Baptists in Middle TN. are predominatly white though. "Thicker than fleas on a hound-dog's back" where I am from, especially from the counties of the lower Cumberlands of the Appalachias. I am sure there are some Black MB churches there, I was just never cognizant of the fact.

My perspective.

sdg!

rd

PS. PatsFan, where did you/are you doing your DMin degree? FYI (for me)?

8. Tony kelly

Tony kelly New Member

I have read about 4 of his books .As a matter of fact I am now reading "Be Amazed " on the Minor Prophets .

9. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I think he's pretty good. As was said above, you should verify anyone's words with those of Scripture.