1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Adam Elected to Salvation or Damnation?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

The issue you are really fighting is not unconditional election but rather the absolute Sovereignty of God. Unconditional election has nothing to do with the fall of man or the choice to sin by Adam. When a person is arguing over first cause in regard to sin, they are not dealing with unconditional election but with the Sovereignty of God and its extent. When a person charges God with sin, they are discussing whether God is Sovereign over all things or just some things. Hence, this is an entirely different issue.

If you want to talk about first cause then we need to discuss the subject of God's sovereignty over his creation and its extent.

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe the Lamb was slain from the foundation of the world, which I take was before Adam was created, because the first man Adam might fall but because the first Adam was destined to fall. Then according to purpose through election the following verses come about.

Acts 15:17,,18 That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who does all these things.Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

Also

Joel 2:32 And it shall come to pass, [that] whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.

3. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

The text uses the word "from" not "before":

Re 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

4. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Is God Sovereign? YES! Is Man responsible? YES! How can that be? Deuteronomy 29:29 "the secret things belong to the Lord". Some cannot understand that both issues are in the bible and demand we explain how it all works. God sees how it all works.....we cannot because of our limited understanding and instead of recognizing that we make OP's "like this one" that demand we go to the left or go to the right and that it all has to make scene. Leave room for God......the secret things are not for us.

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Correct me if I am wrong DHK, but in the reformed view, with "hyper-sensitivity" to the sovereignty of God, does that not according to reformed perspective imply that God "ordains" everything that occurs?

6. quantumfaith

:thumbs: Solid logic.

7. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Are you serious?? Unconditional election most certainly would affect the fall of man. Unconditional election is choosing some to salvation, ANTECEDENT to any doing good or bad, the fall included. The choice of their eternal destiny would be set in stone from the foundations of the world before they ever made their first choice.

HP: Can you recall your own quote???? You have the fall of man in a lost state even ANTECEDENT to their election, and that by necessity, which is antecedent to man being born let alone doing anything good or bad. In essence you of necessity have men in a lost state from somewhere prior to even election, somewhere in eternity past antecedent to man’s arrival on this planet.

You believe you can just state whatever you so desire, which is true, but get ready for someone to come along and point out the absurdity of your position. Before man there was not man, but God. If man was lost before he was ever created, chosen to an eternal destiny by God of either salvation or damnation, (which by the way if salvation for some, damnation is for others not so elected) before they ever had the opportunity to do good or evil, you cannot ignore the logical consequences of such absurdity. God alone would be the very author of all evil having had to predestine a fallen state in order to elect some to salvation as you clearly state. You have painted for us as clear a picture as possible of absolute double predestination with God as the every author of the fall of man, (remember you stated election PRESUPPOSES a PREVIOUS lost state) hence the author of all evil. Your position is absurd to say the least, and indeed paints a horrible blight upon the Holy and Just character of God.

8. quantumfaith

Be careful JK, or you might learn something too.

9. quantumfaith

God is in fact so very Sovereign that he can create creatures with free agency and still accomplish His desires. That is an awesome God.

10. billwald

billwald New Member

Does God change the rules in the middle of the game?

11. quantumfaith

Sorry Bill, I don't understand the question.

12. billwald

billwald New Member

God had his rules for "electing" people before he created Adam. Whatever the rules were, did God change them after Adam screwed up? Were Adam and Eve under the same rules before Eve screwed up? If Eve had screwed up and Adam didn't would Eve be in Hell and Adam still alive on earth? I know that "what ifs" don't count but the alternative is to assume facts not in evidence.

13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same difference as far as this post is concerned. Was the plan of God before Adam was created.

14. quantumfaith

Bill, please forgive my "cut and paste" as I am not an accomplished theologian, but the following, provided by Dr. William Lane Craig, makes the most sense to me concerning the doctrine of election.

Second, let's talk about Paul's doctrine of election in Romans 9. I want to share with you a perspective on Paul's teaching that I think you'll find very illuminating and encouraging. Typically, as a result of Reformed theology, we have a tendency to read Paul as narrowing down the scope of God's election to the very select few, and those not so chosen can't complain if God in His sovereignty overlooks them. I think this is a fundamental misreading of the chapter which makes very little sense in the context of Paul's letter.

Earlier in his letter Paul addresses the question of what advantage there is to Jewish identity if one fails to live up to the demands of the law (2. 17-3.21). He says that although being Jewish has great advantages in being the recipients of God's revelatory oracles, nevertheless being Jewish gives you no automatic claim to God's salvation. Instead, Paul asserts the radical and shocking claim that "He is not a real Jew who is one outwardly, nor is true circumcision something external and physical. He is a Jew who is one inwardly, and real circumcision is of the heart, spiritual and not literal" (2. 28-29).

Paul held that "no human being will be justified in God's sight by works of the law" (3.20); rather "we hold that a man is justified by faith apart from works of law" (3. 29). That includes Gentiles as well as Jews. "Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also, since God is one" (3. 29-30).

Do you realize what that meant to Paul's Jewish contemporaries? Gentile "dogs" who have faith in Christ may actually be more Jewish than ethnic Jews and go into the Kingdom while God's chosen people are shut out! Unthinkable! Scandalous!

Paul goes on to support his view by appeal to the example of none less than Abraham, the father of the Jewish nation. Abraham, Paul explains, was pronounced righteous by God before he received circumcision. "The purpose," says Paul, "was to make him the father of all who believe without being circumcised [i.e., the Gentiles] and who thus have righteousness reckoned to them and likewise the father of the circumcised who are not merely circumcised [note the qualification!] but also follow the example of faith which our father Abraham had before he was circumcised" (4.11-12).

This is explosive teaching. Paul begins chapter 9 by expressing his profound sorrow that ethnic Jews have missed God's salvation by rejecting their Messiah [= Christ]. But he says it's not as though God's word had failed. Rather, as we have already seen, "not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel, and not all are children of Abraham because they are his descendants" (9. 6-7). Being ethnically Jewish is not enough; rather one must be a child of the promise—and that, as we've seen, may include Gentiles and exclude Jews.

The problematic, then, with which Paul is wrestling is how God's chosen people the Jews could fail to obtain the promise of salvation while Gentiles, who were regarded by Jews as unclean and execrable, could find salvation instead. Paul's answer is that God is sovereign: He can save whomever He wants, and no one can gainsay God. He has the freedom to have mercy upon whomever He wills, even upon execrable Gentiles, and no one can complain of injustice on God's part.

So—and this is the crucial point—who is it that God has chosen to save? The answer is: those who have faith in Christ Jesus. As Paul writes in Galatians (which is a sort of abbreviated Romans), "So you see that it is men of faith who are the sons of Abraham" (Gal. 3. 7). Jew or Gentile, it doesn't matter: God has sovereignly chosen to save all those who trust in Christ Jesus for salvation.

That's why Paul can go on in Romans 10 to say, "There is no distinction between Jew and Greek; the same Lord is Lord of all and bestows his riches upon all who call upon him. For 'everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved'" (10. 12-13). Reformed theology can make no sense at all of this wonderful, universal call to salvation. Whosoever will may come.

Paul's burden, then, in Romans 9 is not to narrow the scope of God's election but to broaden it. He wants to take in all who have faith in Christ Jesus regardless of their ethnicity. Election, then, is first and foremost a corporate notion: God has chosen for Himself a people, a corporate entity, and it is up to us by our response of faith whether or not we choose to be members of that corporate group destined to salvation.

15. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I forgive ya too.
    :D

16. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Does God play by your rules? Do you really need an answer to that? How unsearchable are His judgments, and His ways past finding out!

#56 Jedi Knight, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010
  17. quantumfaith

Knowing this, will cause me to sleep better tonight.

18. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Nice try to jab at the Reformers. I find you fail at boxing God into your viewpoint and try to ingnore text after text about election. God chooses whomever He wills......did you forget God can choose too? John 15:16 You did not choose me.....gonna hop over this like jump rope at recess?

19. quantumfaith

A few moments ago, I thought you were going "humble" on me. Guess I was wrong. I quoted the words of WLC, and yes I agree with him. It was no "jab' at reformers, just a statement. As for your reference to John 15:16, unless I am wrong, as I am certain you will point out from your perspective, Jesus is speaking with his disciples.

Yes God can Choose

He chose to create
    He chose to love
    He chose to redeem

The list of His choices could continue. The better question might be Does God even NEED to choose?

20. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP:Unlike some that say in one breath that God is Sovereign, and then tell us via their dogmas that God cannot create a truly free moral agent, you hit the nail on the head.:thumbs:

Some might need to consider the distinct possibility that the relationship of necessity they attach to the actions and ends of men in light of God's election, might be in fact over-stepping the bounds of their ability to properly discern the proper relationship sustained between election and free moral agency. Believe it or not, justice has some clear applied meanings intuitively granted to man by God Himself, and any thought of punishment or blame where no freedom to be the 'first cause of ones moral intents' exists is absurd in light of that intuitive understanding of justice.

#60 Heavenly Pilgrim, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010